Atari SC1224 with stuck volume and brightness knobs

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Atari SC1224 with stuck volume and brightness knobs

Postby AtariSociety » Fri May 27, 2016 4:15 am

I have a few stored away displays and found the SC1224 has stuck knobs. Otherwise it still works but volume a tad loud. Went to lower it and knob will not budge. All 3 knobs in fact are stuck.

From looking at various pictures, I believe what I have is the Hitachi model. Square design and these 3 knobs are on left side bottom as you look at the display.

Looks like this:

Any advice on how to unstick and get them moving again?

TJ

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Re: Atari SC1224 with stuck volume and brightness knobs

Postby spiny » Fri May 27, 2016 12:54 pm

I expect the 'goo' that is used to lubricate the pots has just dried up.
I'd take the case off, then you should be able to pull the knobs off, which will let you turn the controls with a flat bladed screwdriver. a few careful turns should free it all up.

this is the sort of thing I mean:
026-4233-000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tjlazer
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby tjlazer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:25 am

I have the same monitor (it's the Samsung model) and had the same issue with the seized knobs. I used some DeoxIT Fader F5 contact cleaner and lubricator. I sprayed it on the potentiometers and slowly worked the knobs back and forth. (I had to pop the knobs off and use a tiny crescent wrench to move the plastic shaft back and forth) Took a while but it did the trick. Don't use regular electronics contact cleaner. I tried that at first but after 30 minutes they seized up again! The Deoxit lubrication prevents it from seizing up as it adds safe lubrication.
Atari Computer Collector since 1984

From the 8-bit Atari 400 to the 32-bit Atari TT030!

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:16 pm

Be very careful if using a screwdriver in the slot to turn these, because the metal used in the shafts of these splined pots is very brittle. Bend the metal out, bend it back and it may very well shear off. Even if it doesn't, it is very difficult to get the two halves of the shaft perfectly back into shape once they have been bent and the knob will probably wobble off centre as it is turned.

If you are going to try that approach, first find a nut or some washers with exactly the right diameter to slip snugly over the outside of the splined shaft, and that will stop the two halves of the shaft from spreading apart when you apply force between them with a screwdriver.

tjlazer
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby tjlazer » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:41 pm

mine had a plastic shaft with no slot.
Atari Computer Collector since 1984

From the 8-bit Atari 400 to the 32-bit Atari TT030!

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”