Biased eBay guide

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Biased eBay guide

Postby catmando » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:42 am

Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Biased eBay guide

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:52 am

Just another brick in the wall ..
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:42 pm

Tsk. Amiga fan bois.

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Zarchos » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:47 pm

At least he doesn't say anything about the Acorn BBC A3000 because he admits he's got no experience of these machines.
If only the French Amiga fanboys could do the same, it would be a relief. ;-)
Last edited by Zarchos on Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falcon, Atari 1040 STE+SATAN, 520ST, 800xl, xegs, Amigas, Archimedes, RISC PCs + Iyonix, Omega, BBC B, Atom, Electron, ZX 81, Spectrum 48/128/+2/+3, Speccy2010, Russian clones, Sam Coupe, V6Z80P, QLs inc. Q68, Enterprise 128, Einstein inc 256, Oric Atmos, MSX 1, 2, Thomson MO5, Amstrads CPC+, C 16, 64, 128, VG5000, Apple IIGS and more ! Yes I am about to create a museum https://youtu.be/xjB6_Ez-3BA

Robson
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Robson » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:14 pm

This won' t boost Atari sales on ebay hun (not you catmando), they'll stay with me.
------------------------------------------------
http://www.tercsirobi.byethost14.com
------------------------------------------------

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:28 pm

That's just really lame...
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Silly_Pony
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Silly_Pony » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:18 am

Well, it is true, the Amiga is a more capable machine in most respects. I'd give it the edge on being easier to put more memory in and a nicer keyboard.

Both the ST and Amiga are still fairly crude machines, though. So if you're willing to mess with them in 2016, neither machine's flaws should put you off because no matter which one, you're going to be spending a lot of time and money rectifying them.
1040STe, 1040STf

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:07 pm

Silly_Pony wrote:Well, it is true, the Amiga is a more capable machine in most respects. I'd give it the edge on being easier to put more memory in and a nicer keyboard.

Both the ST and Amiga are still fairly crude machines, though. So if you're willing to mess with them in 2016, neither machine's flaws should put you off because no matter which one, you're going to be spending a lot of time and money rectifying them.

Oh there are Amiga crazies out there that think an a500 is usable as a main computer in 2016. They all tend to have macs and PCs. Wonder why.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:59 pm

Silly_Pony wrote:Well, it is true, the Amiga is a more capable machine in most respects. I'd give it the edge on being easier to put more memory in and a nicer keyboard.

Depends entirely on the model. How is it easier than an STe or Mega STe?

As to keyboards, I had an A1000 (my favorite Amiga keyboard, especially the recessed well, although the direction keys were a bit odd), A2000, and 2 A1200's.

None of those could compare to my Mega ST's, Mega STe's, or STacy's keyboards. Also, call me STrange, but I prefer a ST keyboard modified with the TT Touch upgrade over any of the Amiga's I had.

Silly_Pony wrote:Both the ST and Amiga are still fairly crude machines, though. So if you're willing to mess with them in 2016, neither machine's flaws should put you off because no matter which one, you're going to be spending a lot of time and money rectifying them.

Depends on what shape they're in when you get them, and what you are planning on doing with them. Both are good retro machines, IMHO.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darklight » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:44 am

I'm not seeing much fanboyism here? He's talking about A500 v STFM - by far the most common models at that time - I think that's fair, right? Most of those statements ring true for me, and I was firmly placed in the ST camp at the time & since. What are you're problems with that he's saying?
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - my WW1 2D dogfighting game for windows
2D Flight Sims - side scrolling aerial combat games

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby galax » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:29 am

The image and the comment about the ST's graphics was weird: "The image below shows a comparison of the 2 systems. The Amiga is simply more vibrant."

The colour balance seems to be off in the ST 'Gods' image; it has a strange yellow/green cast that shouldn't be there. Larger palette (pre-STE) and built-in modes with more colours on-screen, sure, but "more vibrant"?

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Total Eclipse » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:34 am

DarkLord wrote:

Depends entirely on the model. How is it easier than an STe or Mega STe?

I'd agree with Silly_Pony with regards to the memory upgrades - on every Amiga I've owned, upgrading the memory is nothing more than turning the machine over, opening the trap door, inserting the memory board and putting the trap door back on. Granted, the STe improved on the STfm by using standard SIMMs, but that still required the user to take a screwdriver to it and remove the whole case.

darklight wrote:I'm not seeing much fanboyism here? He's talking about A500 v STFM

I assumed that too, though clearly he doesn't get off to a good start as he not even aware of the palette of a STfm (quotes 4096 colours).
Last edited by Total Eclipse on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Atari equipment all in storage - Now playing with MiST :)

Ragstaff
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Ragstaff » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:21 am

darklight wrote:I'm not seeing much fanboyism here? He's talking about A500 v STFM - by far the most common models at that time - I think that's fair, right? Most of those statements ring true for me, and I was firmly placed in the ST camp at the time & since. What are you're problems with that he's saying?

One thing I disagree with:
While the ST versions of games are just as playable, they look and sound more like the Commodore 64 or Amstrad CPC versions.

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:46 am

Ragstaff wrote:
darklight wrote:I'm not seeing much fanboyism here? He's talking about A500 v STFM - by far the most common models at that time - I think that's fair, right? Most of those statements ring true for me, and I was firmly placed in the ST camp at the time & since. What are you're problems with that he's saying?

One thing I disagree with:
While the ST versions of games are just as playable, they look and sound more like the Commodore 64 or Amstrad CPC versions.

The graphics on the c64 and amstrad are not even in the same ballpark as the ST
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

Ragstaff
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Ragstaff » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:42 pm

catmando wrote:The graphics on the c64 and amstrad are not even in the same ballpark as the ST

Exactly. The Amiga fanatic let his colours show there ;-) I bet no editor at eBay even asked for such an article to be written, it would have been an Amiga fanatic who saw the opportunity, wrote the article, gave it to eBay and they lapped it up as every website wants original content

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”