Panther/2 drivers and torubleshooting

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

ctirad
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Panther/2 drivers and torubleshooting

Postby ctirad » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:04 pm

Hi, I noticed a couple of Panther/2 users here thus I have some questions.
I've got a MegaST4 machine with a Pak68/3/Frak/Pupla/2/Panther/2+ISA ET4000+NE2000 combo that I'd like to fix. I know this particular machine was fully functional some years ago, so let's expect all the HW is correctly fitted and functional. However, I have neither original harddrive nor install disks.

The PAK/FRAK seem to work perfectly at 50MHz, but I cannot get ISA cards on the Panther/2 to work. I installed NVDI 5.3 with ET4000 support, but it does not output anything on the VGA out. Same for the network card. I found only a single and very old driver for Mint, but I have no idea it is even possible to use it with the current Mint version. It does not seem so. I tried the Panther/2 either with or without PAK68/3 fitted with the same result.

There is also an utility called P2INT.PRG, that correctly detects the ET4000 address decoder but it does not help either.

ctirad
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Panther/2 drivers and torubleshooting

Postby ctirad » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:08 pm

And sorry for the multiple posts. I've got 3x "server error". :(

artik-wroc
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby artik-wroc » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:46 am

Use VMG_TT.PRG (in NOVA card drivers) to test the card.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:25 am

You need a NVDIVGA.INF File in the AUTO Folder. To build one use the NVDI VMG program ...

REDIRECT.PRG need a 640x400 mono resolution in the NVDIVGA.INF File to display anything.

Use the VMG from the panther software package ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

ctirad
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ctirad » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:15 am

Thanks. In meantime I figured it out. I had multiple problems on my installation:

The biggest problem was that each of nvdivga.inf files I tested was configured to some insanely hight frequency modes that my LCD monitor was not able to detect even as "out of range" mode. It just switched off, even in the basic 640x400 mode that was set by redirect.prg

The second problem was that I thought I need to have NVDI driver loaded in order to make the card functional. I was wrong. The redirect.prg and the videomode generator (VMG-4000.prg) work totally standalone. After I found that (and also the fact the VMG has an english RSC) I was able to to calibrate dot clocks of my particulal card and to define modes valid for my LCD.

The last problem was that all the modes were garbled, There was just a mess on some parts of the screen. However this problem was caused by an oxidation of some contacts on the ISA card itself. I removed it from the slot, cleaned it with the pencil rubber and it fixed it.

The last problem is the NE2000. I found I have to upgrade GALS on the ISA daughterboard in order to make the (quite recently) released unlocked driver to work.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:30 am

For the Ethernet Card you need a special GAL with a Serial Number, I think ...

-> http://wrsonline.de
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

ctirad
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ctirad » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:43 pm

That is no more true according to update at the end of this page: http://wrsonline.de/panther2.html

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”