Those £5 USB Floppy drives any good to get stuff from PC to Atari?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

kola
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Those £5 USB Floppy drives any good to get stuff from PC to Atari?

Postby kola » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:43 am

Been looking at a few and wondering if they would be up to the task of getting downloaded files from the net via my XP PC onto my STE?

Anyone any experience?

Heres what I was looking at:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-USB-Exter ... 4ab05937f2
Highly experimental music for space robots! All made on an ST with not a damned PC in site - yeeeey

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Those £5 USB Floppy drives any good to get stuff from PC to Atari?

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:53 am

This was discussed zillion times. Usage will be very limited. Or just complete useless if those cheap drives support not DD (720K) floppy mode.
Description mentions 720 KB support, so : you will be not able to write most of floppy images, only 720 KB ones. For simple file transfer it may be good.
Until it fits on 720K. Above that it gets complicated.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:38 am

Much better to get a Gotek + HxC firmware

kola

Postby kola » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:25 pm

Hey guys. Sorry if its been discussed a zillion times.

You have to remember were not all Atari guru's. My Atari simply serves one purpose to me. Music sequencing. I have no clue to disk density but thanks for bringing it to my attention and preventing me from wasting a fiver.

I don't want to invest £100 or whatever for a CF reader as its not good value for me. Since 1980s I have used floppy disks and pretty much use the same software today.

I only wanted to buy this cheapy as I have just been made aware of Passports Master Tracks pro now being allowed free. An offer worth investing in if the price of the floppy drive is only a fiver. Now I know it isn't I have to find another way of teleporting the data from my PC to my Atari. But naturally I don't want too spend much at all. It will be used a handful of times at best.

I dont suppose anyone could bang this on a disk for me and post it old school. I live in England. Id gladly pay costs.
Highly experimental music for space robots! All made on an ST with not a damned PC in site - yeeeey

kola

Postby kola » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:27 pm

Zoll, sorry to bug you but taking your advice onboard would this do the job?

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:45 pm

kola wrote:Zoll, sorry to bug you but taking your advice onboard would this do the job?

If you can download those Master Tracks, and files are not longer than some 700 KB, then it will do the job. You need only to format floppy on PC as 720 KB ( Command prompt: format a: /t:80 /n:9 ) , copy files on floppi(es) and then insert it in Atari floppy when your Music SW need to read those tracks .
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

kola

Postby kola » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:18 pm

Zoll so sorry to waste your time.

When I said will "this" do above I had picked out a different use drive specifically DD.

I just stupidly forgot the link :-/

Here is the link to a completely different product to the first one. Would it do.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slim-Portable-2 ... ING_ACTIVE

(I know I could drive a saint to madness right )

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:24 pm

Main thing is that it support 720 KB. After that stays what I wrote in previous post.

kola

Postby kola » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:37 pm

Mate I'm way out of my depth here. I'm not an Atari guru.

Can you or another kind soul just tell me if that's the right drive

I'm dyslexic. Very hard for me too follow posts with tech speak I know nothing about.

Mate if it's the right one if you can just say yes and I'll buy it. It's a DD one right? (Makes me think of boobies mmmmm boobies)

kola

Postby kola » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:13 pm

Ah sod it.

I've bought it anyway.

If it works I'll let you all know. Not bad for a fiver delivered. Nice cheap no frills option. If it works of course.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Re: RE: Re: Those £5 USB Floppy drives any good to get stuff from PC to Atari?

Postby troed » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:48 pm

kola wrote:Ah sod it.

I've bought it anyway.

If it works I'll let you all know. Not bad for a fiver delivered. Nice cheap no frills option. If it works of course.

Both drives you linked should work fine for your needs. Productivity software usually don't use extended formats.

/Troed

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

kola

Postby kola » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:32 am

Ah thank you my friend for the ultra simple answer.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:46 am

Seconding that it should work fine for moving files between the pc and ST, I use one myself :)

Frank B
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Frank B » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:18 pm

spiny wrote:Seconding that it should work fine for moving files between the pc and ST, I use one myself :)

I've ordered one. I need a way to move some source from the mac to the ST for testing :)

kola

Postby kola » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:05 pm

Thanks guys.

It's thinking as much as I only need it for one job currently, that is to put an image on a floppy destined for my ST.

But I can go the other way and back up images that I only have on floppy onto my PC.

Not bad for a fiver. :cheers:

kola

Postby kola » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:25 am

Ahhhh balls!

My drive arrived and does it hell do 720 disks.

To keep the chain the simplest forgetting formatting blank discs I am putting Atari disks that I know work on my Atari into my usb floppy on my XP PC and it say disc needs formatting.

Similarly if I block left hole up and type the dos command format a: /t:80 /n:9 it tells me to insert disk and then press enter.

On pressing enter nothing happens.

Any advice. In simple terms please for simple me.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:28 am

See if you can find a Teac FD-05PU. That's what I have and it works for a lot of formats (including HFS when hooked up to a mac).
STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:45 am

FWIW - I got one of those cheap USB drives for my girlfriends PC and had nothing but trouble with it :shrug:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:59 am

As above, the Teac FD-05PU is from around 1998 so it supports a wide variety of formats.
STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Re: RE: Re: Those £5 USB Floppy drives any good to get stuff from PC to Atari?

Postby troed » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:12 am

kola wrote:Ahhhh balls!

My drive arrived and does it hell do 720 disks.

To keep the chain the simplest forgetting formatting blank discs I am putting Atari disks that I know work on my Atari into my usb floppy on my XP PC and it say disc needs formatting.

Similarly if I block left hole up and type the dos command format a: /t:80 /n:9 it tells me to insert disk and then press enter.

On pressing enter nothing happens.

Any advice. In simple terms please for simple me.

You block what hole? 720kb disks (DD) have one hole with a write protect tab. 1.44MB disks (HD) have a second hole on the other side.

While I've myself used them interchangeably there are physical magnetic layer differences and apparently you "shouldn't".

I'm just trying to understand what disks you have used on your Atari. If you format a disk on your Atari is the PC still unable to open it? What model Atari is it?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

smoston
Atariator
Atariator

Postby smoston » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:35 am

In 2007 I bought a small grey usb floppy drive from Akihabara, Tokyo, Japan. It was 200 yen. About £2 at the time. It accepts old Atari demo disks. You need to format the disk as 720k msdos type in XP. Then copy over the Atari files that you've downloaded then put them in the STE and they should work. Musicmon worked fine on my STe. Good luck.

The brand/make was

NEC Floppy Disk Unit

Model: PC-VP-BU21/OP-210-74502

YD-8U10

kola

Postby kola » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:30 pm

@ Exxos
FWIW - I got one of those cheap USB drives for my girlfriends PC and had nothing but trouble with it :shrug:

Well, I've got a cheap girlfriend and I've had nothing but trouble with her! haha

@ Dal
See if you can find a Teac FD-05PU. That's what I have and it works for a lot of formats (including HFS when hooked up to a mac).

Noted the Teac, thanks mate

@Sync
You block what hole? 720kb disks (DD) have one hole with a write protect tab. 1.44MB disks (HD) have a second hole on the other side.

While I've myself used them interchangeably there are physical magnetic layer differences and apparently you "shouldn't".

I'm just trying to understand what disks you have used on your Atari. If you format a disk on your Atari is the PC still unable to open it? What model Atari is it?

Hi mate.
1 - If I hold the disk label side towards me and metal bit down at 6 o clock the top left hole I cellotape up. Apparently this makes the ST think its a 720 disk (as you'll no doubt know, but news to myself)
2 - If I format on my Atari (great point to try by the way) when I enter it into my XP PC I get the disk needs formatting prompt.
3 - STE 4 meg

@Smostron
In 2007 I bought a small grey usb floppy drive from Akihabara, Tokyo, Japan. It was 200 yen. About £2 at the time. It accepts old Atari demo disks. You need to format the disk as 720k msdos type in XP. Then copy over the Atari files that you've downloaded then put them in the STE and they should work. Musicmon worked fine on my STe. Good luck.

The brand/make was

NEC Floppy Disk Unit

Model: PC-VP-BU21/OP-210-74502

YD-8U10

Noted model mate. Thank you.

Yes this is what I'm trying to do. Format in XP from DOS prompt with command format a: /t:80 /n:9 Nothing doing. Looks like its going to work but then doesn't format and closes the dos box.

@ any kind soul.

Can some saint please band Master Tracks Pro on a disk for me and send it too me. I live in England and will gladly pay any expenses. It can be had completely legally from here for free and the file is around 450k http://tamw.atari-users.net/mtpro.htm. Please PM me for my address. When your as amazingly good looking as myself you have to be careful giving your address out obviously. Don't want to have to get crowd control again. :mrgreen:

Many thanks to all who have tried to help out here. Im going to conclude the disk drive is at fault unless someone has anything I/we haven't tried.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:29 pm

I've downloaded it and just about to fire up an ST to write it to disk and test it for you. PM me your address and I'll get it out to you in a jiffy (literally and colloquially)

kola

Postby kola » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:43 pm

Your a star! Thank you mate :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:54 pm

kola wrote:Format in XP from DOS prompt with command format a: /t:80 /n:9 Nothing doing. Looks like its going to work but then doesn't format and closes the dos box. ...

Looks for me as (another) case of false advertising - there is no 720 K supported. Assuming that you did that hole covering if used HD floppy.
My best advice is to avoid everything what is very cheap - high risk.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”