Read Falcon IDE drive on PC

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:53 pm

Is it possible to read the contents or create an image of a Falcon IDE hard drive on a PC/Mac/Linux machine?

I have one of those USB to IDE adapters, but I get no directory as is usually case with a PC IDE drive

I have used Macdrive Pro to previously read the contents of mac drives on a PC and was wondering if something similar is needed to read the Falcon's HD?
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Read Falcon IDE drive on PC

Postby AdamK » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:18 pm

Yes, it is possible. You need to have atari partition support built in (Ubuntu has it out of the box) and turn on byte-swap for the device.
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:27 pm

AdamK wrote:Yes, it is possible. You need to have atari partition support built in (Ubuntu has it out of the box) and turn on byte-swap for the device.

Do you think this will work on a virtual machine too?
Atari STFM

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AdamK » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:57 pm

catmando wrote:
AdamK wrote:Yes, it is possible. You need to have atari partition support built in (Ubuntu has it out of the box) and turn on byte-swap for the device.

Do you think this will work on a virtual machine too?

I do not see the reason why it would not.
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:16 pm

There are 2 solutions to access Falcon IDE drive (or any Atari TOS/AHDI partitioned hard disk, media) under Windows :

Using this program: http://atari.8bitchip.info/drimus.php

Or even better, using TOS/DOS compatible partitioning, then you can access it straight via Explorer, or even better Total Commander. Little problem may be to achieve access to all partitions. But that's only problem in Windows, in any modern Linux will see all partitions, without Atari support in kernel.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:23 pm

AtariZoll wrote:There are 2 solutions to access Falcon IDE drive (or any Atari TOS/AHDI partitioned hard disk, media) under Windows :

How is this program supposed to work? I've plugged in the old Falcon drive using an IDE to USB adapter on Win8 PC, the drive shows up in Windows Disk management settings but shows the status as 'uninitialised'

If I load the Drive Image tool, all I see are my PC hard disks and not the Falcon drive at all
Atari STFM

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:19 pm

Tried the Ubuntu route in vmware, I've activated the USB atapi device for Ubuntu but it doen't seem to pick it up (not really that familiar with Ubuntu so may be staring me in the face).
Atari STFM

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AdamK » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:57 am

catmando wrote:

Tried the Ubuntu route in vmware, I've activated the USB atapi device for Ubuntu but it doen't seem to pick it up (not really that familiar with Ubuntu so may be staring me in the face).

I haven't tried it with virtual Ubuntu, just as a main OS.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:13 am

catmando wrote:
AtariZoll wrote:There are 2 solutions to access Falcon IDE drive (or any Atari TOS/AHDI partitioned hard disk, media) under Windows :

How is this program supposed to work? I've plugged in the old Falcon drive using an IDE to USB adapter on Win8 PC, the drive shows up in Windows Disk management settings but shows the status as 'uninitialised'
If I load the Drive Image tool, all I see are my PC hard disks and not the Falcon drive at all

It is normal that Atari partitioning is not recognized by Windows, so it will say that is not initialized.
I just checked Drive Image in WIndows 8 (what I installed recently, for special cases, not regular usage), and it detects not USB attached disks. So, answer is: it works well in Windows XP, probably in Vista, and have no clue about Windows 7. In Windows 8 works not. All this is likely related with security changes done in newer Windows versions, and changes done in disk access protocol. Running as admin helps not.
So, I should update program - and there are some other things to update, but that will be not soon. Too many other projects on schedule.
I just can recommend to use TOS/DOS compatible partitioning - it has several advantages, and you don't need special SW for access Atari disk on PC - it works straight in Windows, all Linuxes (without Atari support in kernel) .
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

bear
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby bear » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:18 am

I can read my Falcon Tos partitioned CF cards in Driveimage, when changeing compability settings to Windows Xp/SP3. And I'm using Win 8.

LaceySnr
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby LaceySnr » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:03 am

An alternative option is to DD the drive into an image, that can then be used with Hatari etc. and you can then use TOS to copy files to a GEMDOS drive (i.e. directory on a PC partition). Not quite as good as just browsing the disk but less risky IMO. I've done this, copied files into the image and then dd'd it back to the Falcon drive and it worked perfectly.

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:37 am

thanks ppera! great util!
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 am

LaceySnr wrote:An alternative option is to DD the drive into an image, that can then be used with Hatari etc. and you can then use TOS to copy files to a GEMDOS drive (i.e. directory on a PC partition). Not quite as good as just browsing the disk but less risky IMO. I've done this, copied files into the image and then dd'd it back to the Falcon drive and it worked perfectly.

DD? Can you explain?
Atari STFM

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:38 am

catmando wrote:
LaceySnr wrote:An alternative option is to DD the drive into an image, that can then be used with Hatari etc. and you can then use TOS to copy files to a GEMDOS drive (i.e. directory on a PC partition). Not quite as good as just browsing the disk but less risky IMO. I've done this, copied files into the image and then dd'd it back to the Falcon drive and it worked perfectly.

DD? Can you explain?

Ah, this Linux users are really funny people :D (I have Linux installed too, btw) . DD - disk dump, I guess .
I will translate his message for Windows users: make image of Atari IDE drive - with Drive Image for instance - what works in Win8 too (see above).
Then you can use it's file transfer option, or using emulator to access image. Since only Hatari supports IDE hard disk emulation, that's only choice.

But it is possible even with Steem, and ACSI emulation - only if drive/image is not bigger than 1 GB. There will be no autoboot, but you can run hard disk driver from Desktop, then it will recognize and mount partitions. Will need Pasti for it - where need to select created image as hard disk image in disk settings.
Catmando: pls. few words about that Falcon IDE disk: capacity, partition sizes, used driver ...

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:29 am

I use dd a lot mate.

Probably best I help you over a remote session as dd can be pretty brutal if you aren't 100% sure about the input and output streams.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:53 am

AtariZoll wrote:Since only Hatari supports IDE hard disk emulation, that's only choice.

You forget ARAnyM.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:19 am

AtariZoll wrote:
catmando wrote:

DD? Can you explain?

Ah, this Linux users are really funny people :D (I have Linux installed too, btw) . DD - disk dump, I guess.

You can use DD on Atari with MiNT ;)

fenarinarsa
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby fenarinarsa » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:15 pm

Just for you to know, I tried driveimage on Win10 and it works in XP SP3 compatibility mode + run as admin. But this tool is not really good to manage a lot of files on the hard disks or transfer directories...

What I discovered though is that on Linux you can use Hatari to directly access the drive. My tests were done on a CF card formatted with HDDRIVER, with TOS only partitions and no byteswap :

Plug the drive on your PC
Find the drive name with a tool like lsblk or gparted, in my case it was /dev/sdf
Run hatari once as root (sudo hatari), do your system conf and save it.
Quit hatari
Open the hatari conf file located at /root/.config/hatari/hatari.cfg
Locate the line szIdeMasterHardDiskImage = ... and put here the disk ID (/dev/sdf in my case)
Start hatari as root again, and now you have access to your drive from the emulator.

Before doing any change to your drive I recommend making a backup, for instance with dd :
sudo dd if=/dev/sdf of=backup_atari.hdd

Now it would be great to be able the same thing on Windows :wink:

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”