SD vs. CF memory cards for IDE interface

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: SD vs. CF memory cards for IDE interface

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:56 am

joska wrote:You must read more carefully - I said that I buy the cards locally :) I don't buy such things from China, the cheap stuff is no good and the genuine stuff not much cheaper than in local stores.

The only CF-card available in shops locally is a 8Gb Sandisk card that costs 36 euros. A 16Gb Sandisk class 10 card costs 20 euros. No not exactly half the price, but not far from it. I could also buy a 4Gb Class 10 Sandisk for 14 euros, or an 8Gb for around the same.

I agree that 16Gb is overkill for an ST. So is 4Gb :) The 16Gb card is used in my Firebee, I have a lot of stuff there. In my other machines I have 4Gb cards, but they are not very common in shops here anymore.

Sorry, little lost in multiple threads. But 36 Euros for 8 GB card is too much. it's probably some high-speed card, I mean not in Atari relations, because all newer are high speed for Ataris/clones. 4 GB CF Sandisk Ultra was 10 Euros here.
4 GB is not overkill for an ST(E) today. Not just that it is hard to find smaller, but you can fill it pretty well now. Especially when have some multimedia files - like audio and video stuff.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:01 pm

joska wrote:As I said, it doesn't have a master/slave jumper but use Cable Select. The Falcon doesn't support Cable Select, pin 28 (Cable Select) is permanently grounded which will cause the SD-adapter to always be Master. If you need to use both the SD-adapter and another device on the bus you put the SD-adapter at the end of the cable and cut wire 28 between the SD-adapter and the other IDE device.

You could also try setting the other device as Slave. Should work, but I did not try that.

I also have these 1-chip cheap IDE2SD cards. Unfortunately even though they both look the same, and look like all other such cards I've seen, there seems to be differences between the ones I have and the ones you have :/

Pin 28, from looking at it, measuring, and failing to do the above mod, seems to be NC on the IDE2SD to start with. I.e, the SD adapter doesn't use the status of pin 28 to decide whether to be Master or Slave. I cannot find anything it connects to (and it measures infinite resistance to everything).

I started out by disconnecting pin 28 and then tried using the IDE2SD as slave in my Falcon (with a Startech IDE2CF as Master) - and noticed it didn't work. Additionally, I saw the Activity LED going active on both cards at the same time. That was the clue ..

If I jumper the IDE2CF card as Slave, I can use both cards at the same time without problems. This indicates that even though I disconnected pin 28 the IDE2SD is indeed acting as Master.

... and of course, what I really wanted was to boot off the IDE2CF so I really needed the IDE2SD to be Slave :(

ide2sd.jpg

I bought my two cards at two different occasions more than a year apart, one from Aliexpress and the other from a UK-dealer at ebay, but they're identical.

@joska - is there anything visibly different on yours compared to mine? Can you see where your pin 28 ends up on the card?

/Troed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KLund1
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby KLund1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:34 pm

One thing I have noticed is that all the current SD adapters have the SD slot oriented 90' to the pins. So it can not be easily made to have the SD card removable from the back of the case. Also, for Falcon's, there is the 44 to 40 pin issue. Yes there are adapters, but then you have to split the 5V FD power. For Falcons, imp, CF is the way to go. Yes is a pain to find a compatible CF card. But that has been asked and answered in there before. Kingston ELITE PRO 133X are my preferred cards.
I also recall a thread, about different SD card adapter chipsets do have a speed differences. The one with the interface of a cf2ide25sd was shown to be the fastest for our uses. But these are not made any longer.
see here for an example. I think there is a longer thread elsewhere about this.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads ... rs.632291/

Another thing, CF cards are larger in physical size, and just a bit less easy to lose on your desk.
UPDATED: Falcon 030(FX-1)(CF int & removable SD), MSTE 4+PS3000 4160STE 2.06+HDFD STacy4-internal-USD 1040STFM+I.B.Driver-5.25"FDD 1040STF 1040ST 520ST-AdSpeed 400-48k 800+810x2+820+822+825+830+835+850, 800XL+IndusGT 600XL 130XE+XF551x2 Portfolio 1200XL APE(Warp+32in1 OS SuperVideo 2.1 256k RAMBO)+1050x2 USD'd+SIO2PC, PC1+PCH204+PCM124+PCF554x2

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:35 pm

troed wrote:@joska - is there anything visibly different on yours compared to mine? Can you see where your pin 28 ends up on the card?

I will have to look at the card inside my Milan. I'm using the SD-adapters as masters in all other computers.

KLund1 wrote:Also, for Falcon's, there is the 44 to 40 pin issue. Yes there are adapters, but then you have to split the 5V FD power.

Not if you use a 44-pin IDE->SD adapter :)
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:00 pm

troed wrote:... and of course, what I really wanted was to boot off the IDE2CF so I really needed the IDE2SD to be Slave :(

Do you have to boot from the Master? Can't you boot from the Slave? I'm quite sure HD-Driver doesn't care.

troed wrote:@joska - is there anything visibly different on yours compared to mine? Can you see where your pin 28 ends up on the card?

Yes, it turns out to be very different - the one in my Milan has a 40-pin connector! I bought that one quite a few years ago, it's been set up as slave using a modified (wire 28 cut) cable ever since. Seems to be an earlier version of the 44-pin adapter I have, HD-Driver reports "SINTECHI" as vendor in both cases.

I have not measured but I think you're right about the 44-pin adapter, pin 28 seems to not be connected. Maybe they dropped it to simplify routing, assuming that 2.5" devices will always be slaves since laptops usually only has space for one device. A bit stupid for us retro guys though :(
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”