SD vs. CF memory cards for IDE interface

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

SD vs. CF memory cards for IDE interface

Postby Fujiyama » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:26 am

I believe I read somewhere (in this forum?) that when it comes to attaching Compact Flash memory cards (via CF to IDE adapters) to IDE interfaces (such as the one by Alanh) for hard drive replacements that these cards can be picky (some brands/models don't work in such a setup) which is due to CF cards having their own control logic built-in, whereas SD cards fully rely on the host controller instead....

If this is correct, would SD to CF adapters solve the problem? They're commonly available on eBay and other places and allow SD cards to be used with the same setup.
sd_cf_adapter.jpg

There are also SD to IDE adapters available such as these (found on eBay) which should replace the CF to IDE adapters altogether:
sd_ide1.JPG
sd_ide2.JPG

I'm asking because I've only heard of people attaching CF to IDE adapters to their Atari ST IDE interfaces, which, if the above information is correct, doesn't seem like the best and easiest solution.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Re: SD vs. CF memory cards for IDE interface

Postby spiny » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:49 am

I can't answer your question exactly, but I do use a CF to IDE adapter with my 'Alan IDE' card and it works perfectly.

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:53 am

EDIT: never mind..... (there appears no way to delete postings here).
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:59 am

I've posted this link several times I believe.

http://www.dx.com/p/sd-to-2-5-ide-adapter-card-227040#.VYks7fntlBc

Very cheap and works extremely well. Have tested it with Falcon, Milan, Firebee and various IDE-interfaces for STF/E (including Alan's current cards) and not a single problem. Even old AHDI 6 works perfectly, not like with CF-cards where the harddisk driver can mean the difference between working and not working.

The only problem is that these interfaces doesn't have master/slave jumpers but use cable select. So to use it as a slave you must cut a wire on the IDE-cable.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:14 am

Fujiyama wrote:I believe I read somewhere (in this forum?) that when it comes to attaching Compact Flash memory cards (via CF to IDE adapters) to IDE interfaces (such as the one by Alanh) for hard drive replacements that these cards can be picky (some brands/models don't work in such a setup) which is due to CF cards having their own control logic built-in, whereas SD cards fully rely on the host controller instead.... ....
I'm asking because I've only heard of people attaching CF to IDE adapters to their Atari ST IDE interfaces, which, if the above information is correct, doesn't seem like the best and easiest solution.

Better is to say that oldies are picky with CF cards. The reason is that, that on most of IDE adapters no special timing logic, and CPU timing of oldie determines IDE timings, and it is not by new standards. While some SD adapter must have own timing logic for SD cards, since no other way that it work well.
But I think that still straight CF card is cheaper and simpler solution. Only that need to know which cards are good with oldies. Using some CF-SD adapter means extra expense, possible driver problems, slower work . May be good solution only for those with many SD cards.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:35 pm

Instead of searching for specific CF-cards that are known to work, pay twice as much as for SD-cards AND having to use specific drivers (and even specific versions of specific drivers) you can buy the cheap SD-adapter I linked to and use any cheap SD-card you can pick up locally - and use any driver that supports IDE on the Atari.

I have used CF-cards in my Ataris since 2007, but the last couple of years I've phased out all of them in favour of the SD solution I linked to. I have one in my Firebee, one in my STM (with a home-cooked IDE interface), one in my Mega (with Alan's MonSTer card), one in each of my Falcons, one in my Milan and finally one in my Amiga 600. Works brilliantly in all of them, with every SD card I've ever tried.

Of course, if you already have a working setup with CF cards there is no reason to switch.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:36 pm

I have a cheapo SD-IDE card adapter, my guess is that it is just like Jo's or similar, and it works alone on the falcon IDE bus.
Issue is that it don't work together with the internal IDE HDD. I did not try to figure out why.
I now use it on my external SCSI box, via a SCSI-IDE adapter.

So if you want to use only SD on a Falcon, it should work fine. Other have better luck and works with HDD.
( try to make it work with your HDD as slave or something but as Jo said, it cannot set mater or slave easily other than by cable select method).

I had some adventure/fun with it back 5 years ago and kind of documented here.
Lots of other forum user pitched in to that thread.
:cheers:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:14 pm

wongck wrote:I have a cheapo SD-IDE card adapter, my guess is that it is just like Jo's or similar, and it works alone on the falcon IDE bus.
Issue is that it don't work together with the internal IDE HDD. I did not try to figure out why.

As I said, it doesn't have a master/slave jumper but use Cable Select. The Falcon doesn't support Cable Select, pin 28 (Cable Select) is permanently grounded which will cause the SD-adapter to always be Master. If you need to use both the SD-adapter and another device on the bus you put the SD-adapter at the end of the cable and cut wire 28 between the SD-adapter and the other IDE device.

You could also try setting the other device as Slave. Should work, but I did not try that.
Jo Even

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:39 pm

AtariZoll wrote:Better is to say that oldies are picky with CF cards. The reason is that, that on most of IDE adapters no special timing logic, and CPU timing of oldie determines IDE timings, and it is not by new standards. While some SD adapter must have own timing logic for SD cards, since no other way that it work well.
But I think that still straight CF card is cheaper and simpler solution. Only that need to know which cards are good with oldies. Using some CF-SD adapter means extra expense, possible driver problems, slower work . May be good solution only for those with many SD cards.

"Oldies" as in meaning older hard disk driver software (AHDI. CBHD etc.) instead of more current software (HDdriver)?
IIRC someone here had problems with specific CF cards even with a current version of HDdriver, but don't quote me on that.

Are you a good person?

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:42 pm

joska wrote:As I said, it doesn't have a master/slave jumper but use Cable Select.

Are there SD to IDE adapters available with selectable master/slave jumpers? I haven't found any after searching the web but is the technology so different from the CF to IDE adapters which is the reason for this?

Are you a good person?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:49 pm

It looks like all of these adapters are built around the same chip(s). I have never seen one with master/slave jumpers.
Jo Even

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:32 pm

Oldies here means old computers - 8, 16 bit ones. They all have generally same problems with CF cards. It is not possible to fix IDE timing problems in driver. But things are that spread brands like Sandisk and Kingston (newer cards) usually work well with Ataris.
In any case, I'm for straight IDE solution - so CF card instead IDE-SD combination, what will work certainly slower, and will cost more, except you own already number of quality SD cards.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:39 pm

The IDE->SD adapter I linked to performs equally well as a CF-card on my Firebee, and also on my Milan060. So speed is not an issue, not even on machines with a lot faster IDE than a Mega STE.

As for costs - the adapter costs less than USD 9, including world wide shipping. A small price to pay to be able to use any cheap SD-card, and a fraction of the costs for the IDE adapter itself.
Jo Even

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:10 pm

I found an SD to IDE adapter with a master/slave option from Addonics here, but at around AU$ 36 (US$ 28/UK£ 18) it's a lot more than the more commonly available eBay etc. ones.
adidesd_diagram.jpg

I understand there's some disagreement when it comes to performance. Has anyone done an actual benchmark comparison between SD and CF cards on an ST with an IDE interface?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Are you a good person?

Destination
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Destination » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:26 pm

Fujiyama wrote: Has anyone done an actual benchmark comparison between SD and CF cards on an ST with an IDE interface?

Yes, i have the Mega ST2 (4MB Upgrade, 4xFTOS, IDE interface) equiped with an IDE SD Adapter from Amazon (the cheap one). With Twisted Cable and Blitter active =1740KB/s, Blitter non active =1350KB/s. Use it with PPera's Driver and BigDOS. I try diffrent Brands of SD Cards, worked all OK. Doesn't mather wish Type and Class 4 or 10, works all the same...

Thanks Popsel an PPera for the wonderfull Interface :cheers:

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:12 pm

Fujiyama wrote:I understand there's some disagreement when it comes to performance. Has anyone done an actual benchmark comparison between SD and CF cards on an ST with an IDE interface?

In my FireBee - 7Mb/s. Same as my CF-cards.
Jo Even

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:52 am

So, cheap adapter is fast. It seems that speed costs less than 1 jumper (for M/S) . Then. there is only one thing left I can discuss about: some can make IDE adapter self, for almost 0 cost, and then 9 bucks for IDE-SD is not so low :D , and question is is it stays for all target countries.

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:55 am

Interesting.
Perhaps using an SD or CF card in an ST doesn't make much difference in terms of speed because of the speed limitation of the computer, not the cards.
I found some interesting info regarding reliability of CF cards (from here):
CF is, at least conceptually, more reliable. The card contains a controller chip that does "wear-leveling", which keeps from re-using the same parts of the physical memory while ignoring other parts. In contrast, on an SD-type card the same section of the physical memory contains the "FAT" (the information about where files are stored and what memory blocks are available), and that section is rewritten over and over whenever files are added or removed. SD cards are likely to fail earlier from too many write cycles. CF cards also automatically detect and quit using bad spots; SD cards require that you do a low-level format to detect bad spots. On the other hand, memory card failure is pretty rare for both CF and SD.

I'm guessing the wear leveling technology of CF cards is part of them acting as IDE hard drives. Could I assume that the "controller" technology of SD cards on the other hand is built into the SD to IDE adaptor hardware then? So in conclusion, if you find a CF card that works with an ST IDE interface you should go for that as opposed to SD cards, right?

Talking about reliability: when an SD or CF card is about to wear out, do we get forewarned or do they just all of a sudden stop working? Needless to say, backups are essential (talking from experience).

Are you a good person?

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:05 am

joska wrote:The IDE->SD adapter I linked to performs equally well as a CF-card on my Firebee, and also on my Milan060. So speed is not an issue, not even on machines with a lot faster IDE than a Mega STE.

As for costs - the adapter costs less than USD 9, including world wide shipping. A small price to pay to be able to use any cheap SD-card, and a fraction of the costs for the IDE adapter itself.

Bought one instantly when you posted that link. Amazing price and free shipping. Hard to argue against.

/Troed

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:33 am

Fujiyama wrote:Interesting.
Perhaps using an SD or CF card in an ST doesn't make much difference in terms of speed because of the speed limitation of the computer, not the cards.
I found some interesting info regarding reliability of CF cards (from here):
CF is, at least conceptually, more reliable. The card contains a controller chip that does "wear-leveling", which keeps from re-using the same parts of the physical memory while ignoring other parts. In contrast, on an SD-type card the same section of the physical memory contains the "FAT" (the information about where files are stored and what memory blocks are available), and that section is rewritten over and over whenever files are added or removed. SD cards are likely to fail earlier from too many write cycles. CF cards also automatically detect and quit using bad spots; SD cards require that you do a low-level format to detect bad spots. On the other hand, memory card failure is pretty rare for both CF and SD.

I'm guessing the wear leveling technology of CF cards is part of them acting as IDE hard drives. Could I assume that the "controller" technology of SD cards on the other hand is built into the SD to IDE adaptor hardware then? So in conclusion, if you find a CF card that works with an ST IDE interface you should go for that as opposed to SD cards, right?
Talking about reliability: when an SD or CF card is about to wear out, do we get forewarned or do they just all of a sudden stop working? Needless to say, backups are essential (talking from experience).

Yes, speed possible on some ST, TT, Falcon is much less than speed of any modern Flash card. The reason is slow RAM. But it means not, that all adapters can achieve even that low speeds, at least some years ago there were some slow ones.
Wear leveling is not mandatory feature, so may be not present in cheaper CF cards. On the other side, that feature may be present in some SD cards too, at least theoretically. Should look about it, but finding some deeper tech specs is not easy. In any case, things today are that market is segmented, and CF targets higher level, could say professional customers, mostly photo and video recording.
Btw. wear leveling has nothing with IDE. Contrary, such thing existed not in IDE drives at all. Of course, there is some level of controlling in SD cards too, but they are designed to be cheap, so it's as simple as possible.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:44 am

AtariZoll wrote:So, cheap adapter is fast. It seems that speed costs less than 1 jumper (for M/S) . Then. there is only one thing left I can discuss about: some can make IDE adapter self, for almost 0 cost, and then 9 bucks for IDE-SD is not so low :D , and question is is it stays for all target countries.

I'd say that not many users can make their own IDE adapter for free ;) I've made one, it took quite some time (new skills to learn) and some $$$ on parts and a GAL programmer. Also, buying a 2.5" IDE cable alone can be more expensive than this adapter...

$9 is IMO incredibly cheap for a small device that allows you to save much more than that on cards if you want/need a few. If I buy cards locally - which I usually do because I need them ASAP and can't wait for China Post - I can buy two 16Gb SD-cards (Sandisk) for the price of one 8Gb CF-card (also Sandisk, the *only* card available locally - nobody use CF-cards anymore).

I agree that the lack of a master/slave jumper can be annoying. But it's easy to work around this.
Jo Even

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:51 am

Fujiyama wrote:I'm guessing the wear leveling technology of CF cards is part of them acting as IDE hard drives. Could I assume that the "controller" technology of SD cards on the other hand is built into the SD to IDE adaptor hardware then? So in conclusion, if you find a CF card that works with an ST IDE interface you should go for that as opposed to SD cards, right?

I've been using a 16Gb Sandisk SD-card for quite some time on my Firebee, and some parts of it has seen a lot of writes (compiling stuff). According to Sandisk this card has wear leveling. I don't expect any problems soon, and have never had any problems on any of my computers with SD-cards. Including a Raspberry Pi.
Jo Even

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:29 am

Ordering cards from China ? No need , I have small shop 100 meters from home, and they still have few CF cards in shop, and can order among 3-4 brands with delivery time of 2-3 days. Price diff. CF-SD is not so big as Joska says. And why 16 GB on some Atari ST(E) ? 8 GB is what is well partitionable, 4 GB is what is enough for most users.
Are you sure that all "Sandisk" from China is genuine Sandisk ?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:42 am

You must read more carefully - I said that I buy the cards locally :) I don't buy such things from China, the cheap stuff is no good and the genuine stuff not much cheaper than in local stores.

The only CF-card available in shops locally is a 8Gb Sandisk card that costs 36 euros. A 16Gb Sandisk class 10 card costs 20 euros. No not exactly half the price, but not far from it. I could also buy a 4Gb Class 10 Sandisk for 14 euros, or an 8Gb for around the same.

I agree that 16Gb is overkill for an ST. So is 4Gb :) The 16Gb card is used in my Firebee, I have a lot of stuff there. In my other machines I have 4Gb cards, but they are not very common in shops here anymore.
Jo Even

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:47 am

AtariZoll wrote:Are you sure that all "Sandisk" from China is genuine Sandisk ?

I would be very careful about ordering memory cards from China as counterfeits are very widespread. Save a couple of bucks and end up with a low quality, low performance "no name" card with a high performance, quality name sticker on top. Not worth it IMHO so I always buy my cards locally or from well known and serious online stores to ensure I get the real thing.

Are you a good person?

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”