USB HID interface

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: USB HID interface

Postby Fujiyama » Tue May 23, 2017 9:31 am

I see what you mean as his Black cat hardware store says "the store is offline", but it appears only to be temporarily as the rest of the site is working. I also see he posted in this forum less than a week ago, so I don't think he's disappeared.

That USB keyboard/mouse interface is quite unique for our platform and it looked very promising for a while until things got real quiet here..
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Sat May 27, 2017 2:42 pm

Relevant:

SmallyMouse2 is universal USB to quadrature mouse adapter for many 8-bit and 16-bit retro computers and allows the use of modern USB mice on machines such as the Acorn BBC Micro, Acorn Master, Acorn Archimedes, Commodore Amiga, Atari ST and many more. Unlike most existing mouse adapters, SmallyMouse2 implements a fully USB compatible interface (most current adaptors are PS/2 based) this allows the use of any modern mouse including those that use wireless communications.

http://www.waitingforfriday.com/?p=827

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Sat May 27, 2017 3:30 pm

Shredder11 wrote:It is a man's human right to have as many flashing lights, switches, knobs and displays as possible on their tech! :contract: :megaphone:

Unless something got atleast a dozen flashy led's, buttons and switches only you understand, it's just not any good... :shrug:
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Mon May 29, 2017 12:06 am

troed wrote:Relevant:

SmallyMouse2 is universal USB to quadrature mouse adapter for many 8-bit and 16-bit retro computers and allows the use of modern USB mice on machines such as the Acorn BBC Micro, Acorn Master, Acorn Archimedes, Commodore Amiga, Atari ST and many more. Unlike most existing mouse adapters, SmallyMouse2 implements a fully USB compatible interface (most current adaptors are PS/2 based) this allows the use of any modern mouse including those that use wireless communications.

http://www.waitingforfriday.com/?p=827

Nice !
Now if they'd include keyboard support it would be perfect. I'll try to get in touch with the author and ask.
I especially like the "universal" part which caters not only to one platform, but makes a project accessible for many users at once. If several developers could go that route whenever possible it might mean more hardware add ons for us too!
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Wed May 31, 2017 2:13 pm

Update!
I asked the author, and while he's positive to the idea he points out that adding a USB keyboard means a bunch of different interfaces and methods to hook up to the various classic computers. But he's positive to people building further upon the existing design as it's open source and might look into supporting keyboards himself in time.

So, is anyone here up to the task? I don't know how to contact him directly, but he responds to the comments section of his blogsite (see above link).

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:27 am

Arne -the original author of the USB HID interface: will there be any further development to make this project fully working?
You've obviously put a lot of work into it, and there is interest, so why just see it go away for nothing?

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”