New board: MonSTer

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

alanh
Atari God
Atari God

Re: New board: MonSTer

Postby alanh » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:12 am

Just updated the README to mention this.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:25 pm

Today I found the time to put my MonSTEr into my 1040STE. That was easy because I decided to get me the "luxury" version with PLCC socket, which was a wise decision. :)

I am using the existing TOS 2.06 ROMs which I already had in my 1040STE. That works fine after setting the "FLASH OFF" jumper.

Since I already also have a RTC in my 1040STE, I will continue to use it as it seems to work fine.

Then I was looking at the two IDE ports on the MonSTEr board. As their pins are not numbered, I wanted to double check here where "PIN 1" is. I strongly believe it is the pin which goes to the "rectangular sodering pad" on the MonSTEr board. There also is a white marking on the board.

Can someone over here confirm, please?

Two more questions:
1) Is MonSTEr capable to to provide enough power for an 2.5" IDE drive on pins 41-44?
2) How long can the IDE cable be to connect an IDE drive?

alanh
Atari God
Atari God

Postby alanh » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:03 pm

Correct. White triangle is pin 1.

Yes, the MonSTer is capable of powering 2.5" IDE drives, but it's worth checking their consumption as it's not really the MonSTer powering them, it's the ST's PSU.

I've used upto 30cm cables just fine.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

vitaflo
Atariator
Atariator

Postby vitaflo » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:32 am

alanh wrote:
vitaflo wrote:STE w/ PLCC socket sold out? Any idea when more will be avail? I'm ready to buy. :cheers:

More STE ones coming in mid-August.

MegaSTE's also mid-August.

MegaST also mid-August, i.e. just the MegaST adapter here.

Still have ST ones available.

It's mid-August. When can we expect more in?

alanh
Atari God
Atari God

Postby alanh » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:16 pm

Try ordering now.

vitaflo
Atariator
Atariator

Postby vitaflo » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:21 pm

alanh wrote:Try ordering now.

Thanks Alan. :cheers:

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:46 pm

dbsys wrote:Today I found the time to put my MonSTEr into my 1040STE. That was easy because I decided to get me the "luxury" version with PLCC socket, which was a wise decision. :)

I am using the existing TOS 2.06 ROMs which I already had in my 1040STE. That works fine after setting the "FLASH OFF" jumper.

Since I already also have a RTC in my 1040STE, I will continue to use it as it seems to work fine.

Then I was looking at the two IDE ports on the MonSTEr board. As their pins are not numbered, I wanted to double check here where "PIN 1" is. I strongly believe it is the pin which goes to the "rectangular sodering pad" on the MonSTEr board. There also is a white marking on the board.

Two more questions:
1) Is MonSTEr capable to to provide enough power for an 2.5" IDE drive on pins 41-44?

Sorry, but I seem to be unable to get the IDE port on my MonSTEr for 1040STE working properly.

My configuration is:
1040STE with 4 MB RAM
German TOS 2.06 ROMs in their original sockets / "FLASH OFF" jumper is set
previously installed RTC, working fine

The IDE cable I am using is from a Falcon, ca. 20 centimeters long. The cable works fine in my Falcon.

On MonSTEr I used primary IDE only.

I tried with a 2.5" IDE drive which I had previously working fine in my Falcon. This drive was properly configured with SCSI TOOLS 6.x full version and booted just fine in the 1040STE with MonSTER. However, while I can access all six existing partitions with 128 MB each and read and list their content, I am unable to copy and write any software to these partitions properly.

When I try to start any of the existing or copied software I will get a TOS 35 error.
When writing folders to any of the partitions, I get strange characters instead of the previously entered names.

Then I tried to start from scratch with this hard disk. But I am unable to partition the drive and write the driver to the disk using MonSTEr.

I tried SCSIT TOOLS 6.x, I tried HD Driver 8.12, I tried AHDI 6.1, but to no avail. The hard disk will eventually be partitioned, since I "hear" access to the drive, but no partitions will be be found afterwards!

I tried the same with a IDE to CF card adaptor. Same issues.

Why is that?
What´s going wrong here?

Thanks for any help!

joska
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby joska » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:27 pm

What size are the partitions? The Falcon has TOS 4.x, which can handle twice as big partitions as TOS 2.x.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

frank.lukas
Atari God
Atari God

Postby frank.lukas » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:35 pm

Is the "HD Init" cable in the right way connected ...

max Partition size with TOS 2.06 is 512MB, I use 500MB ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:22 am

- Has M_ALTRAM.PRG been tested on MagiC environment? Here, MagiC 5.13 (then updated to 6.1 in hope to solve the issue), the Alt-RAM cannot be declared because the _FRB cookie already exists. MagiC seems to create and use this buffer for its own purposes (none blocking file transfers?).
Thanks to Joska, the sources are available, I will do some tests.
Under monoTOS 2.06, the Alt-RAM is OK and used (tested with my Troll).

- I didn't manage to Flash a 2.06 (and 1.04) French TOS. Even with putting the old ROM chips and setting the jumper to FLASHON.
I missed something. What are the correct memory address to put them?

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:55 am

joska wrote:What size are the partitions? The Falcon has TOS 4.x, which can handle twice as big partitions as TOS 2.x.

As mentioned above: 128 MB for each partition.

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:59 am

frank.lukas wrote:Is the "HD Init" cable in the right way connected ...

Yes, of course, the cable is connected.

As I have stated, the hard drive was prepared on a Falcon and I was able to boot from the drive after having connected it to MonSTEr.

But writing to the hard drive does not work on MonSTEr.
Partitioning does not work either.

Putting the hard drive and the cable back into the Falcon I am able to partition it, write to it and run programs.

The problem has something to do with MonSTEr.

joska
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby joska » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:34 am

Rajah Lone wrote:- Has M_ALTRAM.PRG been tested on MagiC environment?

I'm afraid not. Never got that far this spring, I ran into some problems with the flash-tool on MagiC and wasted some time on that instead :)

Edit: Actually, I *did* test it according to my notes. But only with IDE. Maybe MagiC doesn't install the _FRB-cookie unless there's an ACSI device available? I have removed my MonSTer from my Mega as it didn't work with the graphics card, but I will get a second Mega this weekend and can do some tests then.

Rajah Lone wrote:Here, MagiC 5.13 (then updated to 6.1 in hope to solve the issue), the Alt-RAM cannot be declared because the _FRB cookie already exists. MagiC seems to create and use this buffer for its own purposes (none blocking file transfers?).

Try the attached version. It does not install an _FRB-cookie. Just a hack, if this works I will do a proper fix.

MAG_RAM.zip

Rajah Lone wrote:- I didn't manage to Flash a 2.06 (and 1.04) French TOS. Even with putting the old ROM chips and setting the jumper to FLASHON.
I missed something. What are the correct memory address to put them?

What happens? Do you get an error message while flashing? m_flash will do some rudimentary checks so in theory you shouldn't be able to flash them to the wrong address.

Btw do you flip the "ROM side"-switch/jumper after flashing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by joska on Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

frank.lukas
Atari God
Atari God

Postby frank.lukas » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:46 am

dbsys wrote:
frank.lukas wrote:Is the "HD Init" cable in the right way connected ...

Yes, of course, the cable is connected.

I ask, because on my older MonSTer card there are a "ACSI Init IN" and a "ACSI Init OUT" connector ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

alanh
Atari God
Atari God

Postby alanh » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:51 am

dbsys wrote:
dbsys wrote:Today I found the time to put my MonSTEr into my 1040STE. That was easy because I decided to get me the "luxury" version with PLCC socket, which was a wise decision. :)

Two more questions:

Sorry, but I seem to be unable to get the IDE port on my MonSTEr for 1040STE working properly.

My configuration is:
1040STE with 4 MB RAM

The IDE cable I am using is from a Falcon, ca. 20 centimeters long. The cable works fine in my Falcon.

I tried with a 2.5" IDE drive which I had previously working fine in my Falcon. This drive was properly configured with SCSI TOOLS 6.x full version and booted just fine in the 1040STE with MonSTER. However, while I can access all six existing partitions with 128 MB each and read and list their content, I am unable to copy and write any software to these partitions properly.

When I try to start any of the existing or copied software I will get a TOS 35 error.
When writing folders to any of the partitions, I get strange characters instead of the previously entered names.

Then I tried to start from scratch with this hard disk. But I am unable to partition the drive and write the driver to the disk using MonSTEr.

I tried SCSIT TOOLS 6.x, I tried HD Driver 8.12, I tried AHDI 6.1, but to no avail. The hard disk will eventually be partitioned, since I "hear" access to the drive, but no partitions will be be found afterwards!

Why is that?
What´s going wrong here?

Thanks for any help!

Just to check. Does it work on the secondary port ?

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:02 am

alanh wrote:
dbsys wrote:

Two more questions:

My configuration is:
1040STE with 4 MB RAM

Why is that?
What´s going wrong here?

Thanks for any help!

You mean, when I use the IDE jumper to flip IDE ports 1 and 2?
And then use port 2 as port 1.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:46 am

joska wrote:
Rajah Lone wrote:- Has M_ALTRAM.PRG been tested on MagiC environment?

Try the attached version. It does not install an _FRB-cookie. Just a hack, if this works I will do a proper fix. (attached file is in previous post).

-> Working now and it's really and pretty cool. Most of the applications on my MegaST setup use prefered TT/Alt-RAM, even MagiC, so no more limitation alerts in the 4 MB ST-RAM.

When MagiC is booting, some delay: I think it's waiting for the IDE to start (not yet present). Then it boots correctly on the SCSI disk.

joska wrote:Btw do you flip the "ROM side"-switch/jumper after flashing?

The flash process goes as far with no alert nor error. Then I click on the "Exit" button, and reboot manually (setting off/on power). Like on the FireBee, I prefer to do it under monoTOS with no ACC nor TSR.
I clearly do not understand the message "switch ROM site after flashing" when I click on the "Reset" button. It seems a bit weird to manipulate jumpers when power is on.
You mean the tool only flash on the 1 MB memory bank that is not used when the machine is working on the Flash-ROM?

-> I have put the jumper to swap the on the other 1MB bank, and it's working now. French TOS. I guess one had to flash both TOS 1.x and 2.x at the same time? I may have done the operation with 2.x only and jumper, with no success. With numerous tests, can't remember all possibilities.

I do know it's tedious for developpers to write some README.TXT or HOWTO.TXT, but here it would be welcomed. I spent some time to test, trying to understand how the utils work. For instance, it became obvious after some minutes, that the M_ALTRAM.PRG should be put in the AUTO folder, but not clearly said.

joska
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby joska » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:03 am

Rajah Lone wrote:-> Working now and it's really and pretty cool. Most of the applications on my MegaST setup use prefered TT/Alt-RAM, even MagiC, so no more limitation alerts in the 4 MB ST-RAM.

Good :) I will do a proper fix later.

Rajah Lone wrote:When MagiC is booting, some delay: I think it's waiting for the IDE to start (not yet present). Then it boots correctly on the SCSI disk.

Ok, so you are using ACSI.

Rajah Lone wrote:The flash process goes as far with no alert nor error. Then I click on the "Exit" button, and reboot manually (setting off/on power). Like on the FireBee, I prefer to do it under monoTOS with no ACC nor TSR.

Flashing on the MonSTer is perfectly safe. It has 2Mb of flash which is divided into two "partitions". One partition is read-only, this is where you boot from. The other partition can be written to but is at a completely different location. So even if flashing fails for some reason it can't possibly mess up the working TOS.

This is why you need to flip the "TOS side"-jumper/switch (called FLASHSW in the readme) after flashing. It will swap those two partitions, so you can boot from the partition you just flashed. If it doesn't work - flip again and the working partition is booted.

It is perfecly safe to flip that switch during operation. It is only read after a reset.

Rajah Lone wrote:I do know it's tedious for developpers to write some README.TXT or HOWTO.TXT, but here it would be welcomed. I spent some time to test, trying to understand how the utils work. For instance, it became obvious after some minutes, that the M_ALTRAM.PRG should be put in the AUTO folder, but not clearly said.

Yes I agree, the readme is a bit short on details.
Jo Even

alanh
Atari God
Atari God

Postby alanh » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:08 am

dbsys wrote:
alanh wrote:
dbsys wrote:[quote="dbsys"]Today I found the time to put my MonSTEr into my 1040STE. That was easy because I decided to get me the "luxury" version with PLCC socket, which was a wise decision. :)

Two more questions:

My configuration is:
1040STE with 4 MB RAM

Why is that?
What´s going wrong here?

Thanks for any help!

You mean, when I use the IDE jumper to flip IDE ports 1 and 2?
And then use port 2 as port 1.[/quote]

Yep.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:15 am

@Joska: thanks you for the explanations.

@AlanH and @Joska: you've done a brilliant work. Congratulations. This card should be mandatory for all ST(e). My MegaST is now back, with new mojo!

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:47 pm

dbsys wrote:Sorry, but I seem to be unable to get the IDE port on my MonSTEr for 1040STE working properly.

My configuration is:
1040STE with 4 MB RAM

Why is that?
What´s going wrong here?

Thanks for any help!

So I flipped IDE connectors on the MonSTEr by setting the jumper on the IDESW pins.

Then I tried different hard disks (that all work on my Falcon just fine).

Neither SCSI Tools 6.x nor HD Driver 8.12 will find any hard disk.

Then I removed my original TOS ROMs on the 1040STE mainboard and removed the FLASHON jumper. I used the TOS 2.06 which was already flashed to the MonSTEr board. Apart from now having an English TOS GUI instead of the previuos German TOS GUI I did not notice any difference with repsct to using, recognizing , or partitioning a hard drive.

It simply does not work, no matter if I have the IDESW jumper set or not, no matter if I use IDE 1 or IDE 2.

What else can I try?

BlankVector
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BlankVector » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:06 pm

Really, that MonSTer board kicks ass 8)
I would even be tempted to get my STe out of its box to try that.

Did someone try to flash EmuTOS in the ROM?
It should work out of the box, including IDE disks, without any additional driver.
I don't think that EmuTOS automatically detects the alt ram yet, but definitely that could be easily implemented.

joska
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby joska » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:08 pm

EmuTOS is working just fine. I've tried both the 192 and 256kb versions. IDE is working also.
Jo Even

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:12 pm

Item is sold out :(
FireBee, Falcon -Soundpool case: CT63@95Mhz + 14MB/512MB + 16GB SSD + FPU + Phantom 25/50 + SuperVidel + SoundPool FDI + FA8 + ADAT + Eiffel, TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STbook, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

BlankVector
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BlankVector » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:17 pm

joska wrote:EmuTOS is working just fine. I've tried both the 192 and 256kb versions. IDE is working also.

Marvelous :D
Did you need to use the AUTO program to enable the Alt RAM?
If so, we could merge it to EmuTOS itself, to avoid the need of any additional driver with EmuTOS.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”