New board: MonSTer

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: New board: MonSTer

Postby alanh » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:59 pm

The only reason the blitter would be greyed out is if you removed the jumper on the MonSTer board across the BLITTER pins.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:57 pm

My thoughts too. The jumper is there and so are the connectors from the various ICs.
Something must have happened when I removed the MonSTer for removing IDE pin 20.
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:24 am

I removed the MonSTer and the Blitter works fine on the computer so I suspect the various wires from the motherboard have gotten loose when I removed the board to desolder pin 20. They all look fine but you never know...

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good type of glue for fastening wires to ICs, PCBs etc. so this sort of thing doesn't happen again? I've used hot-glue but it keeps falling off ICs and such (but sticks very well to the wires). I remember seeing some sort of flexible, elastic glue being used in commercial electronics which I think would be ideal for this. Some sort of rubber glue?
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:08 am

After removing and resoldering all the blitter-related wires it's now working again. This time I'm using some strong glue instead of the hot-glue that keeps falling off all the time to secure them!
Just goes to show that even though wires appear to be connected they sometimes aren't (or not well connected).

Are you a good person?

Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Methanoid » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:04 pm

joska wrote:EmuTOS is working fine on my STM. Have tried both 192kb (fc0000) and 256kb (e00000) versions.

Joska, do you mean you have MONSTER working with EmuTOS on your STM? Was considering buying a TOS upgrade for a 520STM I got and maybe some other bits but if I can add Monster and get TOS, IDE, Ram etc for that price its a no brainer?!

And could someone explain AltRam to me in dumb terms? My 520 STM is 512k with a (broken) 512k ram expansion.. could I load games into AltRam? Or do they need Ram contiguous with the system Ram? What about PPera's HD images or IMGRun software - will that run from AltRam? I might be able to avoid spending LOTS on a 1/2 to 1.5Mb expansion Ram as well.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:51 pm

Methanoid wrote:Joska, do you mean you have MONSTER working with EmuTOS on your STM?

I have a DIY flash/IDE-solution on my STM, this was before the MonSTer was available. However, I have a Mega ST and an STE with MonSTers, and EmuTOS is working perfectly fine in both.

Methanoid wrote:And could someone explain AltRam to me in dumb terms? My 520 STM is 512k with a (broken) 512k ram expansion.. could I load games into AltRam? Or do they need Ram contiguous with the system Ram?

AltRAM is of no use to games or demos, they need to run from ST-RAM. If you're going to use this machine for games only then you're probably better off with a floppy emulator (HxC, Gotek) and a RAM expansion.

Methanoid wrote:What about PPera's HD images or IMGRun software - will that run from AltRam?

The HD images can be put on a CF/SD-card and used as an IDE disk with a MonSTer. I don't know about IMGrun though, I have never tested it.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Methanoid » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:54 pm

Thanks. Does Monster fit on an STM though? It overrides the TOS onboard the ST?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:00 pm

You need to remove the original TOS ROMs. I guess it fits physically, but ask Alan about that.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:02 am

Should be fine. Need to solder the MonSTer on top of the 68000, and potentially remove the metal sheilding or cut it.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:44 am

Alan, will new MonSTer boards soon be available for sale?

Are you a good person?

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:47 am

Soon, is all I can say :-)

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:54 am

Good to hear :D
Thanks.

Are you a good person?

vattari
Atari User
Atari User

Postby vattari » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:50 am

alanh wrote:Soon, is all I can say :-)

Are you staying with the original design Alan, or will this be enhanced in some way?
  • Mega STE/4, Monster board, 40GB IDE, CosmosEx
  • Mega ST4, Monster board, 8GB CF, Gotek
  • TT4/16, SCSI2SD
  • Falcon 14MB, 8GB CF, Falcon Speed, CosmosEx
  • Falcon 14MB, 8GB SD, Gotek
  • 130XE/myIDE2; 800XL/Supermon; XEGS/SIO2SD; 800XL/SIO2SD; 130XE/SIDE2
  • 1040STE/4MB, Monster board (8GB SD, RTC)
Work-in-progress: Mega ST4/Matrix M110 video; Mega ST2/Titan Reflex video; TT 2/16MB; 1200XL UAV; 400 UAV/Audio; 800

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:12 am

alanh wrote:Soon, is all I can say :-)

Any news? :)

Are you a good person?

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:50 am

I can not wait ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bikerbob » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:30 pm

So could someone explain to me how an ST can see 12mb when it does not have a 2+ tos in it?

Does this board allow the ram to be accessed at primary ram? or 4mb primary + TT ram?

There was an explanation that the MegaSTE can only access 6mb because it runs into the VME addressing.. is this because the ram is primary? not TT?

I am looking at another booster/ram expansion which will do a 020 or 030 booster with a addon memory card - This being TT ram I think. it will go up to 128mb or 256mb sdram (is the plan I think) but I might be waiting on this board for a year. MonSTer sounds good.. just wondering on the ram?

James

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bikerbob » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:41 pm

Fujiyama wrote:I removed the MonSTer and the Blitter works fine on the computer so I suspect the various wires from the motherboard have gotten loose when I removed the board to desolder pin 20. They all look fine but you never know...

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good type of glue for fastening wires to ICs, PCBs etc. so this sort of thing doesn't happen again? I've used hot-glue but it keeps falling off ICs and such (but sticks very well to the wires). I remember seeing some sort of flexible, elastic glue being used in commercial electronics which I think would be ideal for this. Some sort of rubber glue?

I sell at my store, and I think you can get it as various electronics store, an item called liquid electrical tape. Liquid rubber. Should do the job if you find the hotglue is not sticking to the ICs well enough. Be aware there are different types of glue sticks you can buy as well :)

James

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:58 am

Bikerbob wrote:So could someone explain to me how an ST can see 12mb when it does not have a 2+ tos in it?

If you by that mean TOS 1.x then it can't. You need TOS 2.x, EmuTOS, MagiC or MiNT to use RAM above 4Mb.

Bikerbob wrote:Does this board allow the ram to be accessed at primary ram? or 4mb primary + TT ram?

Not sure what you mean by "primary RAM", but MonSTer alt-RAM always (well, there is one exception) starts at adress 4194304, i.e. immediately after the 4Mb of ST-RAM. This is called "alt-RAM", TT-RAM is something else and is not available on 68000-computers since TT-RAM is outside of 68000 address range.

Bikerbob wrote:There was an explanation that the MegaSTE can only access 6mb because it runs into the VME addressing.. is this because the ram is primary? not TT?

Mega STE VME address range starts at 10Mb, so you can't have alt-RAM above that. Unless you put alt-RAM in the VME-slot of course, but MonSTer does not do that.

Bikerbob wrote:MonSTer sounds good.. just wondering on the ram?

There is nothing to worry about, it just works.
Jo Even

robdaemon
Atarian
Atarian

Postby robdaemon » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:26 am

Any word on when there will be more boards? My Mega ST 2 is practically begging for one. :)

frost
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby frost » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:26 pm

Me too, I'm pleased with my first one but now I have 2 more machines to equip !
My blog, mostly about Atari and demo stuff.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”