Flashable TOS ROMs in ST.

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Flashable TOS ROMs in ST.

Postby joska » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:39 pm

I have added flash ROMs to my ST, inspired by AtariZolls flash ROM project. My circuit is slightly different from his, I will describe this later.

AtariZoll used AMD and Atmel flash ROMs, I had neither but had some Winbond flash ROMs left from another project. These are programmed a bit differently than the AMD and Atmel equivalents, so I made a little tool to program them.

flashtos.png

FLASHTOS-1.0.zip

This program is fully compatible with AtariZoll's circuit.

I will post a detailed description on how to build the circuit (including IDE support) later on, but as I don't know when "later" will be I'm posting the software here. Flashtos is developed with Pure C, sources are included. It will run in any resolution on any ST(e) with 1Mb or more.

Btw you will need hardware to program EPROMs and GAL-chips to build this circuit. If you don't have this, I can strongly recommend this inexpensive one. I bought one a couple of months ago and I think it's a great way to get started. It can program EPROMs, GALs, CPLDs, various microcontrollers... The software is really easy to use too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by joska on Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Arne
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Flashable TOS ROMs in ST.

Postby Arne » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:36 am

Thanx a lot for sharing your code :thumbs:
I'm working on something similar with 29F800/29F160. But was a little bit afraid of GEM programming. Your code is pretty neat, I'll it as a starting point. Will be my first GEM based tool :mrgreen:

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:16 am

Go ahead :) Maybe add chip ID detection, to allow the program to support different types of flash ROMs.

Btw I just discovered an error in the code. Please download the attachment again.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:29 am

Awesome stuff [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_01.gif]
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

BlankVector
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BlankVector » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:39 pm

Excellent project!
As I understand, it can also be used to run EmuTOS ROMs on real hardware.

BTW: Regarding to TOS ROMS, what does CRC means? Is there a CRC stored somewhere?
Subscribe to my Vretrocomputing channel on YouTube and Facebook. Latest video: Save and restore the video mode in assembly language on Atari ST.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:51 pm

BlankVector wrote:BTW: Regarding to TOS ROMS, what does CRC means? Is there a CRC stored somewhere?

TOS 2.06 calculates the checksum of itself at every boot, and compares it with the checksum stored in the last two words of the ROM. So if you modify the TOS image (I've changed the keyboard mapping and also translated parts of the RSC) you need to update the stored checksum. If not, TOS will complain about bad CRC when booting.

Maybe later TOS-versions does this too, I don't know. But previous versions doesn't.
Jo Even

Arne
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Arne » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:12 pm

@joska:

That FlashTOS extension does support TOS1.x and TOS2.x I guess?
And if flash-section 1 is activated and containing a TOS 1.00 it will generate /CE for the flash if there would be an access to $E00000-$E3FFFF, too?
Because it cannot know which TOS is flashed?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:00 pm

It supports both TOS 1.x and TOS 2.x address ranges. There is nothing magic about this, it works just like any other TOS 2 upgrade for the ST. When the 68000 is powered up it will use the longword stored in address 4 as the initial PC. When this address is read, the MMU will activate the ROMs via the ROM2 signal. So any read from address 4 will actually read the longword stored in the second longword of the ROM. The 68000 will jump to the address stored here and run TOS.

In an ST the ROMs will be enabled by the MMU's ROM0/1/2 signals, so any access to TOS 1 address space will cause the MMU to pull down the ROM signals. But TOS 2 has a different address range, outside the TOS 1 address space. This is *not* decoded by the MMU. So to enable this you need to add an address decoder for this memory range, usually with a GAL. This address decoder will enable the TOS 2 ROMs, and one will OR this with the MMU's ROM2 signal to enable the ROMs when the CPU reads it's initial PC. In the case of TOS 2, it will read an initial PC that points to TOS 2 address space, and the ROM0/1/2 signals will never be activated again.

This works in all cases, because there is always just one active TOS.

One side-effect of this is that both TOS 1 and TOS 2 address space is valid all the time. So yes, even if you run TOS 1 it will be shadowed in the TOS 2 address space. If you look at the code you will see that flashing is always done to TOS 2 address space, because the MMU will not allow writing to TOS 1 space and the added address decoder only handles TOS 2 address space.
Jo Even

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:04 pm

Since my interest isn't in building hardware components - just making good use of what others create - I'm on the market for an in-system flashable TOS upgrade if anyone happens to create a pretty one :)

/Troed

Arne
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Arne » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:10 pm

joska wrote:One side-effect of this is that both TOS 1 and TOS 2 address space is valid all the time. So yes, even if you run TOS 1 it will be shadowed in the TOS 2 address space. If you look at the code you will see that flashing is always done to TOS 2 address space, because the MMU will not allow writing to TOS 1 space and the added address decoder only handles TOS 2 address space.

That's what I wanted to know. BTW: not MMU, it's Glue.

troed wrote:Since my interest isn't in building hardware components - just making good use of what others create - I'm on the market for an in-system flashable TOS upgrade if anyone happens to create a pretty one :)

That's what I am working on. With MegaST compatible RTC (option) and up to 4 IDE channels and one special extra (biggest part). Unfortunately my PCB manufacturer for prototypes is closed till summer :(
But VHDL is mainly done by now... hope it will work.
So I begin with supporting software till then.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:15 pm

troed wrote:Since my interest isn't in building hardware components - just making good use of what others create - I'm on the market for an in-system flashable TOS upgrade if anyone happens to create a pretty one :)

I suggested this myself to a few people but there was not much interest I'm afraid. That's why I decided to build my own. However, it was a very interesting exercise and I learned some useful skills.
Jo Even

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:19 pm

Arne wrote:That's what I wanted to know. BTW: not MMU, it's Glue.

Yes, you are of course correct. This is what happens when you type while talking on the phone :)
Jo Even

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:43 pm

Here.....

FLASH TOS, 8MB RAM and dual IDE.....

MonSTer.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:07 pm

Just a small update - I was trying to figure out a handy way to select the active ROM bank without modifying the case or opening it up every time. A friend of mine suggested to use a microcontroller to sniff the keyboard transmissions and switch ROM bank with hotkeys. So I just did that, and it works perfectly :) A quick keyboard combination is all that's needed to switch between e.g. 1.04 for gaming and MagiC for programming.
Jo Even

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:47 am

joska wrote:Just a small update - I was trying to figure out a handy way to select the active ROM bank without modifying the case or opening it up every time. A friend of mine suggested to use a microcontroller to sniff the keyboard transmissions and switch ROM bank with hotkeys. So I just did that, and it works perfectly :) A quick keyboard combination is all that's needed to switch between e.g. 1.04 for gaming and MagiC for programming.

Now that's nice !
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:49 am

Actually, I'm wondering if that's possible to modify the Eiffel and hook up the switches on the MonSTer now too :-)

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:46 am

alanh wrote:Actually, I'm wondering if that's possible to modify the Eiffel and hook up the switches on the MonSTer now too :-)

That shouldn't be a problem as long as you have some spare IO pins. But I chose the easy way, I always have some spare Arduino Pro Mini clones in my drawer. These are very cheap, usually £1-2 each, and also extremely useful for quick hacks like this. I believe I used less than 30 minutes to get this working last night, and then spent some minutes cleaning up the code afterwards.
Jo Even

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:47 pm

WoW! Those arduino's are really cheap !

We should re-implement Eiffel on that, unless you've already done that ?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:08 pm

alanh wrote:We should re-implement Eiffel on that, unless you've already done that ?

Started on it a long time ago, but quickly realized that PS/2 devices are getting hard to find. But it's not very difficult, I'm quite familiar with the IKBD protocol by now so if people are interested I could finish it. But I have this idea to create an "Eiffel" that handles real USB devices instead. I bought the necessary components atleast a year ago, but other projects has been more interesting so I haven't done much with it. I prefer real keyboards anyway, and prefer to use the Arduinos/Teensies to make "reverse Eiffels" :)
Jo Even

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:13 pm

Btw here's the Arduino code for the TOS switcher in case anybody's interested.

Code: Select all

/*

Connect Rx pin to Atari ST/TT/Falcon keyboard ACIA pin 2 to
  "spy" on keyboard -> computer transmissions. This can be used
  to control various hardware via keyboard shortcuts.

*/

#include <EEPROM.h>

// Pins
#define RESET 10 // ST reset line
#define ROM0 11  // Upper ROM address lines
#define ROM1 12

// Scancodes
#define BREAK 0x80
#define SCAN_F1 0x3b
#define SCAN_F2 0x3c
#define SCAN_F3 0x3d
#define SCAN_F4 0x3e
#define SCAN_F5 0x3f
#define SCAN_F6 0x40
#define SCAN_F7 0x41
#define SCAN_F8 0x42
#define SCAN_F9 0x43
#define SCAN_F10 0x44
#define SCAN_ALT 0x38
#define SCAN_LSHIFT 0x2a
#define SCAN_RSHIFT 0x36

void setup()
{
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(13, LOW);

// Connect Rx to keyboard IKBD pin 2 (Rx)
  // to "sniff" keyboard -> ST transmissions
  Serial.begin(7812);

pinMode(RESET, INPUT);
  pinMode(ROM0, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(ROM1, OUTPUT);

if (EEPROM.read(0) > 3)
    EEPROM.write(0,0);

select_rom(EEPROM.read(0));
  reset(200);
}

struct PACKET
{
  uint8_t header;
  uint8_t len;
};

struct PACKET packets[] =
{
  {0xf0, 1},
  {0xf8, 3},
  {0xf9, 3},
  {0xfa, 3},
  {0xfb, 3},
  {0xfd, 3},
  {0xfe, 2},
  {0xff, 2},
  {0xf7, 6},
  {0xfc, 7},
  {0xf6, 8},
  {0x00, 0} // End of table
};

void loop()
{
  static bool alt = false, lshift = false, rshift = false,
    reboot = false;
  static uint8_t switch_rom = 0xff;

if (Serial.available())
  {
    uint8_t ikbd = Serial.read(), i = 0;

while (packets[i].header != 0x00)
    {
      if (ikbd == packets[i].header)
        dropbytes(packets[i].len - 1);

i++;
    }

switch (ikbd)
    {
      case SCAN_ALT:
        alt = true;
        break;
      case SCAN_ALT|BREAK:
        alt = false;
        break;
      case SCAN_RSHIFT:
        rshift = true;
        break;
      case SCAN_RSHIFT|BREAK:
        rshift = false;
        break;
      case SCAN_LSHIFT:
        lshift = true;
        break;
      case SCAN_LSHIFT|BREAK:
        lshift = false;
        break;
    }

if (alt)
    {
      switch (ikbd)
      {
        case SCAN_F1:
        case SCAN_F2:
        case SCAN_F3:
        case SCAN_F4:
          if (lshift || rshift)
          {
            digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
            switch_rom = ikbd - SCAN_F1;
            reboot = lshift;
          }
          break;
      }
    }

// Wait for the keys to be released - if not
    // the keyboard will report stuck keys when
    // reset and halt.
    if (switch_rom != 0xff && !alt && !lshift && !rshift)
    {
      digitalWrite(13, LOW);
      select_rom(switch_rom);

if (reboot)
        reset(200);

reboot = false;
      switch_rom = 0xff;
    }
  }
}

void dropbytes(uint8_t i)
{
  while (i)
  {
    if (Serial.read() != -1)
      i--;
  }
}

void select_rom(uint8_t rom)
{
  switch (rom)
  {
    case 0:
      digitalWrite(ROM0, LOW);
      digitalWrite(ROM1, LOW);
      break;
    case 1:
      digitalWrite(ROM0, HIGH);
      digitalWrite(ROM1, LOW);
      break;
    case 2:
      digitalWrite(ROM0, LOW);
      digitalWrite(ROM1, HIGH);
      break;
    case 3:
      digitalWrite(ROM0, HIGH);
      digitalWrite(ROM1, HIGH);
      break;
  }

EEPROM.write(0, rom);
}

void reset(int ms)
{
  pinMode(RESET, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(RESET, LOW);
  delay(ms);
  pinMode(RESET, INPUT);
}

I'm going to do the same with my Falcon/AB, to be able to control the Eclipse/Videl switchbox from the keyboard and also to switch between Afterburner and 030 mode. But I have some other projects to finish first.
Jo Even

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:38 pm

joska wrote:
alanh wrote:We should re-implement Eiffel on that, unless you've already done that ?

Started on it a long time ago, but quickly realized that PS/2 devices are getting hard to find. But it's not very difficult, I'm quite familiar with the IKBD protocol by now so if people are interested I could finish it. But I have this idea to create an "Eiffel" that handles real USB devices instead.

Now that would be really interesting! A USB keyboard/mouse interface for the Atari ST! Decent PS/2 keyboards and mice are harder to come by these days and according to my findings, even using USB to PS/2 hardware adapter plugs only works with very few keyboards, and just about none of the recent keyboards. I've heard about active USB to PS/2 adapters, but according to what I've read there's no guarantee they will work with a particular USB keyboard either, so it seems the best solution would be for a real USB interface.

Is this a project which could become reality in the not too distant future?
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:16 pm

You should be able to re-use major parts of the mist firmware for a USB to ikbd converter. It basically contains most of that functionality by now. And it would be great to benefit from improvements coming out of such spin-offs.

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:00 pm

That's a great idea which I'd love to see.
How about licensing/ownership etc? Is anyone up for the task to create a USB mouse + keyboard interface which can be plugged into the ST and act just as if an original Atari keyboard and mouse is used?
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

Arne
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Arne » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:46 am

I've been thinking about a combination of USB-HID devices and PS/2 to attach to the Atari's keyboard connector for some weeks. Had a look at the Eiffel project and decided to add temperature sensors (cheap LM335) and standard 3-pin 12V PC fan connectors. Theses may be added on a separate daughter-board - probably not everyone needs them.
I've created a schematic/layout for an evaluation board to test the software-algorithms i.e. this is definitely not the final board (if it ever gets manufactured).
The PS/2 part is pretty cheap, just connector and resistors. Most complicated HW/SW is (of course) USB. I've already had luck with reading chars from keyboard with a standard LPC1768 board but I am not familiar with IKBD mouse/joystick packets. The microcontroller is pretty big in terms of memory because the USB Host (!) stack
needs approx. 22KByte of RAM.
Unfortunately my preferred PCB manufacturer for prototypes is offline till summer :-(

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:05 pm

Arne wrote:The PS/2 part is pretty cheap, just connector and resistors. Most complicated HW/SW is (of course) USB. I've already had luck with reading chars from keyboard with a standard LPC1768 board but I am not familiar with IKBD mouse/joystick packets. The microcontroller is pretty big in terms of memory because the USB Host (!) stack needs approx. 22KByte of RAM.

Is this reusing anything from Alan's Unicorn and its software? Of course, there the host software is on the ST which means the USB mouse support isn't transparent to native software.

/Troed

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”