[PICS] My PICO PSU install

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

[PICS] My PICO PSU install

Postby spiny » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi Guys,

a kinf relative bought me a PICO PSU for christmas (it was on my amazon list :) ) and I've managed to find the time to convert it to ST use.

Links that helped me:

Troeds Page: http://blog.troed.se/projects/atari-st- ... placement/
and
Thgills thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23488

Basically, all I needed to do was dismantle the old PSU, and solder the appropriate wires to the PICO, using an old motherboard adapter cable I had in my spares box. Luckilly for me, my cable -did- use the right ATX colours for the wires, so that made things easier.

Pics:

Here is the old supply, it's broken, so I'm using it for parts:

De-soldering the switch and power connector:

De-soldering the switch itself:

Separating out the wires I'll need - 1x 12v, 2x 5v 3x GND and the 'PSU on' with another GND. I've heatshrinked the other wires for tidiness.

Switch soldered up:

Trial layout:

Baseplate cleaned, and a bit of paint added, because, why not :) Holes drilled for the cable ties to hold it down:

Fitted up, using the original platic insert to prevent the PICO touching the metal base plate:

Ready to roll in my ST:

To Do: I need to make a small back plate for the power connector, but it's cold in my garage, so it can wait :)
Also, the spare red wire with heatshrink on it is just one that wouldn't fir in with the others, slightly annoying, but there you go. I need a better selection of shrink tubing :)
All the ST 'end' cables were checked with my meter and are outputting stable voltages, and it seems happy powering an STe I have here.
I'm using a 12v 5A 'power brick' to power the PICO, which I had from a previous project.

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: [PICS] My PICO PSU install

Postby exxos » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:03 pm

Nice work there :)

I half wonder if a toroidal transformer could be used on that PSU base. Plus a rectifier. That way the old mains input connector could be used. Toroidals can be pretty small these days. Though not checked if one would physically fit. Would assume as the ST only needs a couple amps anyway.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:06 pm

Excellent work. Thanks for the pics too (you know how we love
pictures!). :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

thgill
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby thgill » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:38 am

Very nice!

:cheers:
Like retro computers, game consoles and other obsolete junk? Check out Todd's Nerd Cave on YouTube

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:36 am

Another ST saved from the horrors of unstable voltage ;) Nice work.

/Troed

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bikerbob » Sat May 28, 2016 12:12 am

I am doing the same install on my STFM.. I have it currently working off an old ATX PS.. but when I route the cable out the old AC plug hole, with everything else installed.. it messes up my monitor.. with cover off.. and ps tray etc out.. it works great.. I think I am getting interference (RF) or something on the PS tray is touching?
I ended up buying a 160w Pico because it was a lot cheaper than the 80w.. I am powering from a 6amp brick.

James

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Sat May 28, 2016 9:10 am

I may try a 160w pico as I have noticed that occasionally I get odd behaviour when running the 80w one - some random hangs and resets. These seem to go away when I use a 'real' ST PSU.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Sat May 28, 2016 9:19 am

spiny wrote:I may try a 160w pico as I have noticed that occasionally I get odd behaviour when running the 80w one - some random hangs and resets. These seem to go away when I use a 'real' ST PSU.

I have seen no such issues with mine. Besides all the regular stuff in an STE (incl. original floppy) it drives an HxC with display as well as a Unicorn.

FWIW.

/Troed

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”