Megafile 44 + extra HD

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Robber
Atari freak
Atari freak

Megafile 44 + extra HD

Postby Robber » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:42 pm

This is why I love this forum:

So I have a Megafile 44 with 4 cartridges, bought for only 10 euro's about 18 months ago.
ID set to 2.

Some time later I bought a Mega STE with a working 52MB Quantum HD that died without warning the next day.

See my previous postings. There are not so many yet, but more to come.

Some days ago I was scrolling trough Atari-Forum when I stumbled in this topic from more than 5 years ago:

posting.php?mode=quote&f=15&p=137406

onto this:

Greenious wrote:
karlm wrote: Just wondering if the MegaFile 44 (which uses SyQuest 44mb carts) is a standard SCSI beast

Yes, it is SCSI.

And the Megafile 44 box contains an Atari SCSI adapter.

The adapter is more or less exactly the same as the one in Mega STE, with the exception that it actually can handle 2 hardrives without modification if I remember correctly.

It is slower than most SCSI interfaces, lacks support for parity (although plans for adding it are available at many places, and it is not even difficult.)

Aha! The MF44 has a second connector inside! Where did I see that before?
Now I just bought, on Ebay again, a second IBM Ultrastar from the same guy I got the first one from to replace the Quantum in the Mega STE. Just as a back up. It was at the same price and the IBM Ultrastar is as if it was especially designed for the Mega STE. Now why not to try to put this into the MF44?

Still have a 50pin flatcable laying around so let's open the box:

open box.jpg

There is already a place reserved to allocate the HD:

trying out the ibm.jpg

And here is where that second connector sits:

Over there.jpg

Everything is here to welcome the harddisk. Just a few modifications have to be made.
The connector for the led doesn't fit and there is no room for the molex between the Ultrastar and the power supply.

making a led connector.jpg

no space for power plug.jpg

making a very small big molex.jpg

Now then, all is ready to go:

term on, parity off, led.jpg

To be continued
trying out the ibm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Robber on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Robber
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Megafile 44 + extra HD

Postby Robber » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:43 am

Good morning,

all cables connected and here we go.
nothing, HD spins after turnin the ST4 on. I already formatted and partitioned the Ultrastar on the Mega STE.
6 partitions of 170 mb. Trying several ST's stil nothing. Searched for all topics concerning the megafile44.
ID of the internal HD should be zero, parity off. Disconnected the Syquest and put he IBM Ultrastar in its place. Yes, there it is, but no info, no acces. Looking all over again, did I miss anything? Of course, dipswitch 1 underneath the MF44 should be in the off position. MF44 stll adressed ID2.

MF44 dipswitch.jpg

Bingo!

beautiful.jpg

starting up the ST4 plus internal Maxtor and MF44 plus IBM.jpg

I was not to difficult to install the HD. Except for the modification of the led and molex connector, piece of cake.
Very happy that the Ultrastar has found a home instead of laying around. The scsi host inside the MF44 is perfectly doing what is should do. Love it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Robber on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:05 pm

nice work ! :)

Robber
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Robber » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:04 pm

Thanx Spiny,

I should be happy with this result an start doing other things now like connecting midi and audio cables. I've go a lot of equipment that I like to make some noise. But there is still one thing that puzzles me.
I measured up how both connectors are connected to each other using my multimeter (put it in the "beep"mode) and it told me that all pins are 'one on one' connected (with power off) and that very important dipswitch numbert 1 underneath the MF44 in the 'on' position. So I have to re-open the MF44 case again and see if anything has changed by putting dipswitch 1 in the 'off' position.
I find it to much trouble to get the complete print out to see what's on the other side but I'm gonna have a look at the sheet first if I can find any diode or special soldering or wiring there.
It seems to me that this switch gives the second connector its own scsi ID since both drives connected have ID zero.
As it shows in one of the the pictures I made, the MF44 is set to ID2 (the maxtor inside the ST4 I used has ID1), but the IBM that itself is set to ID0 has all of a sudden ID3!.
So dipswitch 1 'off' is probably adding up the ID of the second connecter with 1. If I would set the MF44 to ID1 the IBM Ultrastar would have ID2 etc.
Well, perhaps this is already common knowledge but I didn't come across anything that confims or denies this uhm.."theory" :wink: yet.
Anyway, I have to find out how it's done because if I'm right this may help me solving the other problem, of how to connect two DMA devices, for example an Ultrasatandisk and a CosmosEx (if there is any need for it, I don't know if there is a possible problem to connect them both to one Mega ST) to the seperate acsi-connectors in a Mega ST. See the topic of the "Second DMA port".

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26673

Robber
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Robber » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:13 pm

No luck this time. Can't see what dipswitch 1 is exactly doing to make the MF44 accept the HD.
I was hoping to see if some pins were connected in a different way between the two modes. I just don't have the knowledge to understand how this is done. Probably with some signal given off by any of the ic's or something.

Good news for Megafile 44 (135? an others perhaps) or Mega STE owners or anyone with a scsi-host for the ST who want a extra drive or a new (second hand) or bigger one. There are a lot of rather cheap 50 pin scsi hdd's with 1 gig or more available on Ebay at the moment.

For example this one:

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/261572293076

The specs look promising:

ftp://ftp.seagate.com/acrobat/install_g ... 67471c.pdf

jumpers to set ID, termination, parity etc.

It looks like prices for scsi hdd's, especially the 50pin ones, are dropping lately.

Robber
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Robber » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:16 am

Well, I bought that Seagate more than a year ago and it now sits in another Megafile 44 that I bought just a month ago (very hard to get nowadays).
Jumper setting is a bit different from the IBM but it is working allright. It's just fun to switch the 44MB cartridges between 2 Atari's to exchange data that will be stored on these harddisks (formatted up to 1 gig). It has become obsolete since we have UltraSatan but still, great stuff this 30 odd year old machines. Now the 50-pin scsi Plextor CDwrite will be in the next MF44.....if I can find one.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”