Writing ST floppies on PC - sanity check please!

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Zorko
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Zorko » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:33 am

Hi

I am trying to write a ST image to a floppy disk on PC. This should work but it does not work for me. If you did this and have time to read this please do so and let me know what am I doing wrong. It is very frustrating and have plenty of disks and disk images but I can't get the process to work!

Setup
=====

PC
---
IBM PC with internal 3.5" disk drive
Windows XP SP 3
fdrawcmd installed
floppy drive driver.png

Floppy Image installed

Atari
------
Atari 1040STf
TOS 1.0

Here is the process used:

-format the floppy disk using "format A: /T:80 /N:9"
format floppy.png

-run floppy image
- as per instructions on http://atari.8bitchip.info/floimgd.php
flowimg settings.png

-test on Atari

Now I should have a floppy disk with ST program that runs on ST. But I have a floppy disk with files on it that PC can read (see image below) but Atari can't read the disk.

ST image floppy.png

The same process is also shown on YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzdimt2n34M and to my frustration author is doing the same thing as I am (on different version of Windows)

Since this didn't worked, I have installed Steem and tested the image file I was using. In Steem the program (Bomber Jack) worked just fine.
Searching on the web I found the notes that when writing floppy disk one must not have any other applications opened (like windows explorer) and I didn't have anything else running.

Now I am not sure what is wrong here. Any pointers, ideas, suggestions are most welcome.

Thank you for your time.

P.S. I did try other options, like using OmniFlop and rawwrite but that is something I want to test later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Re: Writing ST floppies on PC - sanity check please!

Postby spiny » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:47 am

you appear to be doing everything right, but try formatting the disk on the ST rather than on the PC. Floimg will format it anyway while writing an image.
Presumably other disks work in your ST ? otherwise the drive might need a clean.

Guitarman
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Guitarman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Make sure to verify that the 1040 STf has a double sided drive in it. The early ST's had single side drives and will not work with the double sided disk images.

The TOS version (1.0) shouldn't be an issue as long as you're formatting the disk on the PC. Formatting a disk on the ST with TOS 1.0 will not play nice with the PC. You need TOS 1.4 (Rainbow) to format a disk on the ST and have near 100% compatibility with the PC.

General rule is if you format a disk to 720K on the PC, it will be readable on any TOS version on the ST. The only constraint is if you have the single sided drive.
Guitarman
3 Saved Collections
Atari 400 to XEGS
520ST to Falcon
Portfolio
2600 to Jaguar

Needed: STacy, Atari IBM Compatibles

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:55 pm

Kobold and other programs can format PC compatible Disks under TOS 1.0 ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:10 pm

It may be head disalign between Atari and PC floppy drive - what decreases reliability of reading on Atari. Especially if PC floppy is HD (and usually it is).
In that case formatting on ST helps. But you need to format with same parameters as image file is - what means that need some better format SW on Atari, what can format 800K for instance. If it works well, then uncheck 'Format:" in FloImg before writing image onto disk.

Another possible problem: sometimes ST image have invalid parameters - like Sectors/track value. If image is 800KB, and it says 9s/tr it is wrong - it is 10s/tr. Then set it manually.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

tjlazer
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby tjlazer » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:31 am

Are you clicking on the picture of the floppy disk A icon before you select the image and write it? That makes the program and drive to reset and get ready for operation.

Also, no need to format the disk separate. Just click the format check box.
Atari Computer Collector since 1984

From the 8-bit Atari 400 to the 32-bit Atari TT030!

Zorko
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Zorko » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:47 am

Thank you for suggestions.

Here are some additional details in regards to your suggestions/comments.

from spiny
I did try formatting floppy on ST and it didn't help but I'll try that again. What is the best way to clean the drive head?

from Guitarman
I believe it is double sided drive as it reports 720 KB when formatted on ST. Also, it reads original Xenon disk without any problems.

from AtariZoll
Because of these possible issues I have used an image that has standard disk size (720KB, 80/9)

Since ST reads Xenon disk I'm starting to think that it could be a drive on PC or floppy disks. Unfortunately it may not be that easy and quick to test...

Thank you.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:09 am

Just a note about preformatting on Atari: Spiny says that "FloImg will format it anyway.." . Only if Format: is checked. And in that case preformatting on Atari has no sense. So, set it to unchecked. If then getting RNF errors while writing image, there is very likely head disalign.

But generally, writing with HD floppy drive is always less reliable in case of DD floppies. Best would be to have DD drive in PC.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”