520 ST won't read or write and format.

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

walterj64bit
Atari User
Atari User

520 ST won't read or write and format.

Postby walterj64bit » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:04 am

OK I have a 520ST with (no internal floppy drive) it won't read or write and format a disk. I have two SF314 I get same results and I even try using a Panasonic Drive too I get the same results. Does the 520 have a disk drive controller chip or something?
SC1224, 1040ST(E)4MB, The Link 2, RoDIME Systems 45 Plus, RoDIME Systems 20 Plus, Happy Computers Discovery Cartridge.

Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: 520 ST won't read or write and format.

Postby Zogging Hell » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:54 am

The same drives should work on any ST, and as far as I'm aware the original ST doesn't have anything different in terms of chips (although they are more likely to be socketed). If you can check the drives on another ST do so (check the cable as well) then do so. If they work then the problem may be with the drive port on the original ST, which may have some bad soldering (presuming the ST otherwise functions ok?). What you might also want to check is the drive ids as these may have been set to 1 (as opposed to 0) which would mean the ST would be seeing them as drive b rather than a, which may explain your problem.
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours

GadgetUK164
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby GadgetUK164 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:57 pm

I think all models have a Western Digital WD1772 I think, so assuming your ST is OK, and cable is OK, and the FDD's work and have their own correct power (yes there should be 2 cables, power and data), then it's probably the WD1772 or associated components.

Rule out all the obvious stuff first.

Nikolas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Nikolas » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:11 pm

Use more search forum.
It is hard to tell what is wrong, maybe data cable or powercable, or is just too old floppy..
If you guys expirience hardware problems.
1. Always remove chips if possible before soldering.
2. Resolder your hardware, check cables too.
3. If problem continue THEN must be faulty software.

I got 2 Atari ST
Main is stfm, with blitter, with 4 meg of ram, with 16mhz cpu + s-video and audio input to videobox, vdi out
P.S.
My english may not be correct

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”