My UltraSatan doesn't work anymore (after a few months)

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

My UltraSatan doesn't work anymore (after a few months)

Postby Brume » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:47 pm

Well, I've bought an UltraSatan from Lotharek a few months ago (was in April I think). It worked perfectly until now, but it doesn't work anymore :(

I didn't change anything and I used it very carefully (of course). But since last week-end, HDDriver refuse to boot on it. See attached pictures.

I tried it on both STF and STE computers, same results. The US_CONF.PRG doesn't detect it.

I'll send an email to Lotharek, but before all, I wonder if someone already got the same issue. That's weird because I begin to image some of my floppy disks, but I still have more than 2000 disks to do.

Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My UltraSatan doesn't work anymore (after a few months)

Postby Dal » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:22 am

I have the same problem with the one I got from "The other guy who's name begins with Z".

Your 3rd picture is interesting and seems to indicate a corrupt flash. It should read "JOOKIE" and "UltraSatan1"/"UltraSatan2"

I guess it would need to be flashed via JTAG.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:01 am

Cable problem ?

It seems the characters that are wrong are one character out. Looking at the ASCII table it seems your bit 0 in the cable is permanently set, possibly 5V on the line.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:51 pm

Dal wrote:I have the same problem with the one I got from "The other guy who's name begins with Z".

Your 3rd picture is interesting and seems to indicate a corrupt flash. It should read "JOOKIE" and "UltraSatan1"/"UltraSatan2"

I guess it would need to be flashed via JTAG.

Hiya Dal,
Thanks for your reply. Let me guess... the guy wo's name begins with Z also ends with N, right? ;)
Well, I don't the hardware to flash the ultrasatan. I updated the firmware to 1.13 some weeks ago and it worked perfectly.
I'm sending an email to Lotharek now. Hope he can help, let's cross fingers.

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:56 pm

alanh wrote:Cable problem ?

It seems the characters that are wrong are one character out. Looking at the ASCII table it seems your bit 0 in the cable is permanently set, possibly 5V on the line.

I'm just coming to check the cable and it's correctly plugged, but of course, I can't be sure it's correctly working. I haven't changed the cable since I received the device.
I've just noticed at the start of the computer, left & right LEDs of the Ultrasatan blink as usual. So at least, I suppose the device starts normally.

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Issue solved :D
Cable was faulty. Dunno how what happen, but with a new cable, the usatan works like a charm!
I'm ready to image my disks, now!

Nikolas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Nikolas » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:46 pm

good
thats why i have my own signature
If you guys expirience hardware problems.
1. Always remove chips if possible before soldering.
2. Resolder your hardware, check cables too.
3. If problem continue THEN must be faulty software.

I got 2 Atari ST
Main is stfm, with blitter, with 4 meg of ram, with 16mhz cpu + s-video and audio input to videobox, vdi out
P.S.
My english may not be correct

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”