2 ST faulty questions

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

mikeyjhay
Atarian
Atarian

2 ST faulty questions

Postby mikeyjhay » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi there,

I just won 2 Atari STs on eBay and I have two technical questions...

1) Fried power input
When I tried the first one of them I must have only had the power cable about half the way in and I heard a crackling noise. I switched it off and pushed the cable all the way in and tried switching it on again but now nothing is happening. It could have been faulty anyway when I got it or perhaps I made a school boy error and fried the internal power pack or something. If I have, is there any easy way to fix that?

2) Some games not working
I got Speedball, Elite and Eliminator.
Speedball - works totally fine
Elite - sometimes it doesn't load at all. But if I try again it normally loads ok and then the game works fine
Eliminator - this one is strange. It seems to load ok but there is no audio at all. And when I start a game I can move left and right and fire, and the race track does animate and some background sprites appear and move, but there are no enemy sprites at all or any other objects on the track. It's like I'm just flying down an empty track with nothing happening.
Do you think this is hardware issue or a software issue? I'm just surprised that Eliminator can load but not be fully functional. It's perhaps like some of the data on the disk wasn't read and so the game is lacking elements. Not sure if that is a dodgy disk or something wrong with the hardware.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks,

Michael

waSTE
Atariator
Atariator

Re: 2 ST faulty questions

Postby waSTE » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:34 am

Before someone far more knowledgable comes along, here's my tuppence worth :

1) Check the internal fuse, it could have blown
2) Do you have another ST to check the disks on? Cleaned heads? I've no idea whether those issues could be caused by such a thing but I would at least eliminate the drive first.

mikeyjhay
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mikeyjhay » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:01 am

Thanks very much waSTE. I will certainly look into these points.

Does anyone else have any direct experience of these issues?

Thanks again in advance.

Michael

Nikolas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Nikolas » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:45 pm

Replace power cable, or replace power socked for cable

For some games may not work tos v1.0, 1.2, 1.4 it depends wich tos
In some cases low memory like 512 kb or 1.5 meg or 2 meg and above some games may not work

Or games may not work coz of faulty ram chip, single bit in bad memory ram can do lots of problems
If you guys expirience hardware problems.
1. Always remove chips if possible before soldering.
2. Resolder your hardware, check cables too.
3. If problem continue THEN must be faulty software.

I got 2 Atari ST
Main is stfm, with blitter, with 4 meg of ram, with 16mhz cpu + s-video and audio input to videobox, vdi out
P.S.
My english may not be correct

Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Eero Tamminen » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:56 pm

Nikolas wrote:For some games may not work tos v1.0, 1.2, 1.4 it depends wich tos
In some cases low memory like 512 kb or 1.5 meg or 2 meg and above some games may not work

Testing with what TOS/memory configuration a game works with is easiest done using an Atari emulator like Hatari or STeem.

I guess you've opened the case and tried pushing all the socketed chips down in case their contacts have oxidized (while being yourself grounded and wearing something else than woolshirt so that you don't zap them yourself :))?

Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Zogging Hell » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:23 pm

mikeyjhay wrote:1) Fried power input
When I tried the first one of them I must have only had the power cable about half the way in and I heard a crackling noise. I switched it off and pushed the cable all the way in and tried switching it on again but now nothing is happening. It could have been faulty anyway when I got it or perhaps I made a school boy error and fried the internal power pack or something. If I have, is there any easy way to fix that?

You could take the power supply out the other ST and check to see whether that is the fault or whether something more sinister has occured. Also check the fuse on the power cable itself. Not good to insert a power cable while the computer is on (although I've done it myself accidently on more than a few occasions :wink: ).

mikeyjhay wrote:2) Some games not working
I got Speedball, Elite and Eliminator.
Speedball - works totally fine
Elite - sometimes it doesn't load at all. But if I try again it normally loads ok and then the game works fine
Eliminator - this one is strange. It seems to load ok but there is no audio at all. And when I start a game I can move left and right and fire, and the race track does animate and some background sprites appear and move, but there are no enemy sprites at all or any other objects on the track. It's like I'm just flying down an empty track with nothing happening.
Do you think this is hardware issue or a software issue? I'm just surprised that Eliminator can load but not be fully functional. It's perhaps like some of the data on the disk wasn't read and so the game is lacking elements. Not sure if that is a dodgy disk or something wrong with the hardware.

If you have a blank spare disk try formatting it double sided double density from the desktop. If it fails or has problems the disk drive will either need a clean/ demagnetised/ re-aligned. If not, the fault is *probably* the disks being slightly knackered. As they are at least partially loading though you could try my last gasp fix. Grab some disk drive head cleaner fluid (isopropyl alchohol and a little distilled water in other words) and pop a few spots directly on the disk itself then rotate the disk so the internal cleaning layer rubs it over the surface. Try running the game. I've had this fix totally knackered games, although (disclaimer) I'm not sure if there are any long term effects for the disk and please don't kill me if it totals your disks. If you are really desperate then you could also use a q-tip with the isopropyl alcohol to gentle clean the disk surface. The disk drive head cleaner fluid and a floppy disk cleaner thing can still be brought for cheap in places like Maplins or off ePay...
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours

mikeyjhay
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mikeyjhay » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:54 pm

Great. Many thanks all! I will give all of that a go and fingers crossed I will get somewhere.

Thanks.

Michael

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”