x2vga2?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

x2vga2?

Postby mrdalliard » Tue May 01, 2012 9:27 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Having done a search for this, I couldn't find anything - so here goes...

I've got an x2vga2 box (made by Neoya). It's a little box of tricks that allows me to hook up my Wii (or any other game console) and play it on a computer monitor.

The questions is, can it do the same on my ST? Has anyone done this before?

The box of tricks takes either a component or VGA input and displays it on the monitor. Now, I've got a SCART cable for my ST. Could I try a SCART to component converter before plugging it in to this box. Would I be wasting my money?

Any suggestions or experiences gratefully received.

M.
mrdalliard
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: x2vga2?

Postby Nikolas » Wed May 02, 2012 7:53 pm

You can read this abit...
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=15728&start=25
If you guys expirience hardware problems.
1. Always remove chips if possible before soldering.
2. Resolder your hardware, check cables too.
3. If problem continue THEN must be faulty software.

I got 2 Atari ST
Main is stfm, with blitter, with 4 meg of ram, with 16mhz cpu + s-video and audio input to videobox, vdi out
P.S.
My english may not be correct
Nikolas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mrdalliard » Wed May 02, 2012 9:30 pm

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I'll be honest, I'm not a person who should be left in control of a soldering iron, so I'm not sure if some of the modifications, however good, may be appropriate. What I did notice, however, is that there's a similar signal converter box, more or less like the X2VGA2 in the list.

I have had a further look around and seen a cheap-ish scart to component video converter box. Hopefully, that should work, as I can then take the component signal into the X2VGA box and get a picture.... Well, that's the theory, anyway....

Thanks,

M.
mrdalliard
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby 1024MAK » Thu May 03, 2012 9:46 am

There is a lot of info on connecting Atari STs to displays here http://info-coach.fr/atari/hardware/vid ... t_monitors

The current version of the GBS-8200 converter (marked V4.0 on the PCB) can also now be made to work, but needs an extra circuit - see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17153&hilit=8220&start=75#p202590

Mark
Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (nearly forgot the Psion's)
1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mrdalliard » Fri May 11, 2012 12:35 pm

Hi all, thanks for the replies - to give a progress update.

There's a chap on eBay who was selling scart leads, so I got one of those, plug a scart -> s-video adapter. I then got an s-video to VGA converter.

Unfortunately, this hasn't worked - no picture whatsoever.

Has anyone else had any experience of these boxes? Having a read through, some people some to have had some success.... I've attached pictures of the devices in question, if that helps shed some light on things. I'm sure the SCART lead works, as I've tested it on an old-skool telly, so I'm guessing that all my other lego-style connectors aren't working or I'm going to have to learn to get the knack of a soldering iron. I'm also going to try an ATARI-RCA lead (you know, the red,yellow, white ones), to see if I can cut out a component from the link.

Thanks,

M.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mrdalliard
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby mrdalliard » Fri May 11, 2012 12:40 pm

Sorry... this is the other bit of the lego kit...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mrdalliard
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby mrdalliard » Sun May 13, 2012 10:01 am

Hi, just wanted to say that I managed to get things connected up. :)

STFM + Scart cable + connector block (has video/s-video out on it) to a video -> VGA converter box. The picture clarity isn't bad. Low res seems to be fairly usable, although medium isn't too great.

Thanks again,

M.
mrdalliard
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby mrdalliard » Wed May 16, 2012 9:30 pm

I got a monitor -> SCART cable, with a little block that seperates out video and s-video. That goes to a video -> VGA box, one of those mentioned in one of the articles mentioned further up this post. The quality is OK, but not that great....

I'm now wondering if I can clear that picture up a bit, whether there's something that can help but doesn't cost 90ukp like that lovely scandoubler box I saw.

The GEM desktop's fine on the whole, medium res is a little bit off, but text in games seems to be a bit hard work to read - I'd almost call it grainy.
mrdalliard
Retro freak
Retro freak

Return to Hardware