Mega STE: no more DMA sound

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Strider
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Mega STE: no more DMA sound

Postby Strider » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi there!

My Mega STE has a strange problem.
The DMA sound system seems to be broken. I can't run Protracker STE (it tells me my machine has no DMA) and Maxymiser doesn't replay DMA samples.

According to SYSINFO, the DMA sound isn't available anymore because the _SND cookie is totally wrong.
In the _SND cookie, only the lowest bit is set to 1 (YM chip).
I've checked the DIP switches, all is ok (the 8th DIP enables/disables stereo mode).

Does anybody has an idea about what's going wrong?
As the _SND cookie is calculated during the boot sequence, I guess there is a problem with the TOS (I have 2.06 FR) or with the hardware.

For the moment, I've written a small tool to set the DMA sound bit to 1 in the _SND cookie. It works now, however I would like to know where is the problem.
Thanks for your help.

Some information about the Mega STE: 4 MB, TOS 2.06 FR, UltraSatan connected, DIP switches set to 00000001.
Strider from MJJ Prod
May the TOS be with you!

SofiST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Mega STE: no more DMA sound

Postby SofiST » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:05 pm

I would not say that sound cookie is 'calculated' . There is just simple HW detection in boot-up sequence. Likely there is some minor sound HW problem with your machine.
To be sure best is that you run (some other) TOS from RAM :
http://atari.8bitchip.info/astopensw.php - RAMTOS .

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:28 pm

If its like the TT030 motherboard there might be dip switches on the board. When I got my TT030 it reported no DMA sound and the dip switch was set wrong. I think it was #7. Anyway if the board has a set of dip switches, maybe its become dirty over time, try moving the switches back and forth a few times and see if the DMA sound returns.
Last edited by lp on Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

MRAtari
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MRAtari » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:27 pm

hmmm i have a similar problem recently developed on a Mega STE

i can hear sound from the 2 stereo outputs on the rear of the machine but NOT from the TV or monitor ports

no HD installed or anything, this only happened when i changed the TV modulator (yes it is ok)

AtariCrypt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariCrypt » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:20 am

Hello all, I'm sorry to resurrect this old thread but it appears to be relevant to me and my Mega STE. Basically, SysInfo reports there is no DMA Sound yet I can listen to stereo tunes and also enjoy demos and games, for example. So there is DMA Sound yet it's working, obviously something is iffy! lol. Okay, all trackers and other STE-programs work for me, but these 4 apps fail to work : SysInfo, Sound CPX, Paula, Pro Tracker (gutted about Paula failing because that's a belting program). My mega ste is running TOS 2.06 / 4mb ram.

I'm curious when I came across this thread and the mention of dip switches! Sadly, my knowledge of anything hardware related is kinda zero! But this seems my best chance to fix this "problem". I'm just glad it's only these few apps that fail and not the games, demos and all other musical programs!!

Can anyone guide me through this? I'm getting the shakes now just thinking about opening up my baby!
Thanks guys :-)

Steve

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:51 am

try to change state of that 8th DIP switch and reboot machine.
Last edited by Cyprian on Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

AtariCrypt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariCrypt » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:09 pm

Thank you Cyprian. I've just looked inside and all switches where down. But the 8th was half-way for some reason. So I've fixed that and also moved UP the 7th switch as requested by Chris/Exxos. Thank you both! SysInfo now reports DMA Sound available :D

Happy Bunny!

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:54 pm

that's cool.
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”