Mega STe Hd floppy problem

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

mstedude
Atarian
Atarian

Mega STe Hd floppy problem

Postby mstedude » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:15 pm

hello folks,

i'm new here at this forum, since a month ago i'm a proud owner of a mega ste and i really love this machine!
it's a mega ste from march '91 it had standaart 1mb witch i upgraded to 4mb, sadly it had no hard disk and no scsi controller :(

but now... i just replaced the dd floppy by an hd floppy drive, i switched the dipswitch nr.7 in the other position, dd floppys work perfect!
in the disk format i can choose between sd dd and hd format... i f i choose for hd format with a hd diskette i get an error message, i don't really know what the message is because it's in french
and my french is not the best...
also disks formatted on my pc and with software on won't work.

does anybody have an idea what the problem can be??

thanks anyway,

simbo

Re: Mega STe Hd floppy problem

Postby simbo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:41 pm

hi pal welcome to atari forum

this could be a failed ic a gal gate array logic chip could be a problem u407
or the density select line pin 2 of the internal !!! connector has an issue
the external connector doesnt supply this signal

try to take the u407 chip out and press it back in
if indeed its in a socket
or look for a board pcb problem track or something wrong with the internal header or its cable

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:31 pm

The GAL/PAL Chip UA02 must be a C301901-002 the Chip C301901-001 is not working.

see at ...

http://dev-docs.atariforge.org/
the Mega STE 1,44MB Floppy Drive Installation Manual
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:28 am

Does the MSTE HD FDD module behaves like a Falcon or a TT HD FDD or does it behave like a ST FDD?
The HD floppy detect on a normal PC FDD works for Falcon & TT and so I can swap in any PC FDD (just watch out for that D0 & D1 select).
If MSTE HD FDD behaves like a ST FDD, then there ought to be some mod on the HD FDD to wire the correct HD detect signal to the correct pins.
Just my 2¢.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:33 am

frank.lukas wrote:http://dev-docs.atariforge.org/
the Mega STE 1,44MB Floppy Drive Installation Manual

Interesting... Note on page 3 (which is PDF page 5).
It say Pin 1 is opposite of pin 1 on 720KB floppy drive.
Does that mean you have to twist the cable????
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:35 am

mstedude wrote:in the disk format i can choose between sd dd and hd format... i f i choose for hd format with a hd diskette i get an error message, i don't really know what the message is because it's in french
and my french is not the best...

try another formatter like on Fcopy or Kobold, so that the error message will be in English.

mstedude
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mstedude » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:01 pm

hello peeps, thanks for all the tips!

i think it's more a cable issue and not a chip issue( i hope)
i also twisted the cable, but i think i have to cut and resoldering the cable, witch cable do i have to cut? i readed many post here, but it's not so clear because i read many different answers.
i also try to format a hd disk with the program "st knife" and i get the error "bad track 80" dd disks working perfect, so maby i have a bad hd drive...
so thanks anyway.... regards Wim

simbo

Postby simbo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:44 am

!The GAL/PAL Chip UA02 must be a C301901-002 the Chip C301901-001 is not working!

inside the mega is the ic above you must check its version number as frank says
each ic in ataris has a version number
i would check this ic out it maybe is marked as u407
as i cant see another ic would cause this {density detect and switching issue}
C301901-001 if you find this version number printed on the chips top
then you need to send email to best computers in the u/s and order one
cost will be something like 20 bucks...+ post
the fact you can read and write disks already
and the jumper was set indicates you have a faulty ic and you need the ic with the error in its firmware corrected
these ic's use a core program called a jed or jdec file older ic has a software issue
they make up a system called a finite state machine or fsm

also why twist a cable???
what drive are you using ??
the only cable issue with modern drives or any drive and atari's
is the motor signal and disk detect
if you used a smd340 as most atari falcons do
this is able to format and read write hd without any changes
i would avoid experimenting with cable directions
atari uses a flat cable even to connect two drives up inside one machine

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:54 am

simbo wrote:i would avoid experimenting with cable directions

yes, ought to avoid experimenting especially it may kill some components.
better to try to look at schematics and pins outs to figure out what's what.

ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ralcool » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:25 am

If it doesn't have the High Density PAL chip it won't work.

Cmon....nothing is faulty yet. Most factory Megas with DD drives didn't have the proper chip for HD.

Go here and buy one http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/custom-i.htm
4160STFM, (Blitter, 4Mb RAM 72pin, 16Mhz OC, IDE, HD FDD, Quad TOS, LaScan, DS1216E Clock, AT-Speed C16, Tom Kirk PS2 mouse, MegaST Keyboard)
What Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away
Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy
Don't let post count or join date fool you as to who is a newbie, and who knows what's what

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:46 pm

I am bringing this thread back alive, because I am having the same issue on 2 machines. This is what I posted in my other thread.

"Floppy - not been having luck with the 1.44 - both machines have the GAL with the -02 the -02-02 controller or Ajax (1 of ea) and both have the 7th dip switch up.. (Both came to me this way) The SMD-340 I got is a bad read most of the time, the one I bought was DOA.. I have a couple of Sony MFP920 drives, I have done the SEL0 mod on one.. it works, but only as a DD drive.. I thought with everything above it was just supposed to work in the mega ste."

I have gone through both machines, both have UA2 C301901-002. as above one has the 02-02 and the other the Ajax chip U405 under the scsi controller.

I have mpf920 drives, which have been popular for replacing HD drives on Ataris. I did the jumper change from SEL1 to SEL0 and it works at as DD but not an HD. When I click on the A icon - I get the bee for a moment - the drive accesses and nothing. I have a SMD-380 (DD) it works on both machines no issue.

If I had one bad machine, i would say maybe a bad chip. but 2 machines? same result? I must be missing something because in all this thread. The factory install instructions.. I am finding nothing I am missing.

James

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:20 pm

Bikerbob wrote:If I had one bad machine, i would say maybe a bad chip. but 2 machines? same result? I must be missing something because in all this thread. The factory install instructions.. I am finding nothing I am missing.

The motherboard revision does not need the jumper wire?

/Troed

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:51 pm

Here are the pics of the machines.

This is the older machine. I did not install these chips, there were there when I bought them.
dip_old.jpg
c301901002_old.jpg
ajax_old.jpg

These are the chips in the newer machine
dip_01.jpg
c301901002_1.jpg
0202_1.jpg

Thanks

James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:55 pm

troed wrote:
Bikerbob wrote:If I had one bad machine, i would say maybe a bad chip. but 2 machines? same result? I must be missing something because in all this thread. The factory install instructions.. I am finding nothing I am missing.

The motherboard revision does not need the jumper wire?

/Troed

Yes Troed, the old one does, and its there.. I could check it its continuity, I have not done that yet.. but the drives dont work on either machine.

James

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:56 pm

Something trivial, just for case: did you format those HD floppies on Atari ? If not, go in File menu, Format - there must be HD as choice too. Format floppy if possible - if it works not right from start then there is some problem with setting Ajax in HD mode. (what is double clock actually).
There is way to stop global warming.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:41 pm

fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:39 pm

AtariZoll wrote:Something trivial, just for case: did you format those HD floppies on Atari ? If not, go in File menu, Format - there must be HD as choice too. Format floppy if possible - if it works not right from start then there is some problem with setting Ajax in HD mode. (what is double clock actually).

I have tried, with the MPF920 it will just kack a few times and error out.

With one of the SMD-340s it will try .. sometimes gets a bar or two in. (BUT thats the one I think the floppy itsself is bad)

The other smd-300 (branded) SMD-340 on back of drive - it will sometimes get through a format - DD or HD, but when its supposed to get to the end and write the dir - I guess Drive A access error. But I could not get this drive to work on a PC either, so I think its a bad drive. I have a thread on those.

The 920s ( I have 4 of them) they all worked great on the PC.. only 1 so far has been modified with the SEL0 .. and thats the one I cant get to work.

James

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:46 pm

frank.lukas wrote:Use the Googletranslator -> http://phoenix.inf.upol.cz/~opichals/li ... P&index=64

Sorry Frank, I am not sure what you are pointing out? I did translate it, and it is saying exactly what I just stated above.

Everything in there that it is talking about for the HD drive has been done as you can see from the pictures?

Is there something else I am missing? I run the cable from pin 1 to pin 1 no twist required as its the only internal drive.

As the SMD-380 works in both machines I assume the controller chip at least works.

Thanks for the help everyone, must be something simple I am missing because no one else is complaining about this.

James

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:56 pm

Sorry all, the MPf920 is working fine, I assume the Alison mod for the media detect is still something we should be doing?

The issue was age.. I pulled all the pictured chips, and also made sure my SEL0 SEL1 change was completely clean .. put everything back together .. tried another different floppy, first time to format a little hicup.. then .. everything working great since.. I assume some dust - resistance in a socket? but it was both machines, so maybe there was still some close contact on the Sel0 or 1.. not sure.. but working fine now.

James

Bikerbob
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Bikerbob » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:46 pm

Ok, so I have a mpf920 working.. but it is a black faced drive.

Now I also have a Teac fd-235hf - in very good condition and its faceplate more closely matches that of the Mega STE.

SO.. I found this thread and I noticed several users from this forum on it. http://www.wrsonline.de/teac.html - Others on here as well, all talk about the D0 D1 mod on this drive are the same .. a jumper blob..

What about the pin 1 to the WP for the media detect, nothing in the above talked about the media change that I could just do a jumper, or I am not following. Can anyone clarify it for me? This drive would work perfect for the Mega STE. But after testing I do know that I still suffer the media change issue with tos 2.06 - So I am hoping someone can point me to the spot I run the wire from.

James

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”