Power consumption of stock Mega ST 2, Megafile 30, SM 124?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Ato
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Power consumption of stock Mega ST 2, Megafile 30, SM 124?

Postby Ato » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:02 pm

Hi folks,

has anybody ever measured the power consumption of a Mega ST 2, a Megafile 30 and an SM 124?

I am asking because after many many years and having moved from Europe to the US in the meanwhile, I wanted to revive my Atari ST hardware. Obviously for that the hardware either needs new power supplies or a step-up transformer has to do the job. The labels on the hardware state that at 220V - 240V, the Megafile and the Mega ST consume up to 0.5A and the SM 124 would consume 0.3A. But those are upper limits, or?

Having looked around for internal power supplies for the Mega ST and the Megafile, e.g. at myatari.com -, I realised that they are at almost what the entire hardware pile is worth. 95$ for a Mega ST power supply? 8O

Not being completely daft - yet :lol: -, I have ordered a 1kW step-up transformer. I guess 1kW covers it nicely 8) but like I already said, I would really like to know how much the devices really consume.

Thanks for for your time and have a good one!
Thomas

leehanken
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Power consumption of stock Mega ST 2, Megafile 30, SM 12

Postby leehanken » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:11 pm

has anybody ever measured the power consumption of a Mega ST 2, a Megafile 30 and an SM 124?

My mega 2 consumes 17W, at least when it is booting up.

My megafile 60 consumes 45W when switched on, but this drops to 30W.

My mono monitor consumes 30W.

All measured with an energy monitor on a 240V UK power supply. I hope this helps.

1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1024MAK » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:28 am

Ato wrote:I have ordered a 1kW step-up transformer. I guess 1kW covers it nicely 8) but like I already said, I would really like to know how much the devices really consume.

Hi Thomas

Transformers have two ratings, the "continuous load" rating, and the "tool" rating.
For the same transformer the “tool” rating is higher as it is expected that the item of equipment connected (the tool) will only be used intermittently.

However, you say that you have a 1kW transformer. So even if it is a “tool” rated transformer, it is good for at least a 500 Watt continuous load.

Power (in Watts or W) = Voltage (in Volts or V) x Current (in Amps or A)
So for the Atari ST
240V x 0.5A = 120W, however in practice the normal running current (and therefore power) will be a lot lower. I think Atari were very conservative with the figures they give on the outside case. In STFM machines the PSU is rated at 35W. However some later machines (forget which) have PSU’s that are rated at 50W. But these are the maximum ratings. I would expect the normal running power to be around half that, so about 17W to 25W.

The Megafile may take a bit more, (due to it’s drive motors).

I have never measured the power drawn by a SM 124 monitor, but other similar size (or slightly bigger) screen CRT TV’s and monitors are normally 60W or less when running.

So the 1kW transformer that you have got should be fine, you are nowhere near the limit :D .

Can you solder? I am at work at the moment, but I am sure that the Atari ST PSU’s can be wired for 120V as well as 240V operation.

Hope this helps :D
Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (nearly forgot the Psion's)

Ato
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Ato » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:41 am

Hi folks,

thanks a lot so far! I really appreciate your comments. :cheers:

Yes, I can solder but I should mention that I am physicist by education and software developer by profession. So I suppose it gets rather dangerous around me once I get my hands on a hot soldering iron. Better bring our cats and my wife to a safe place before I get started. :D But I must admit, I had a quick glance at the schematics - not that I really can read them, I can tell where it says 240V that there is a lot of potential, pun intended. - of the Magafile and thought that I had identified something that looked like a 120/240V thing which I would have to "cut here, solder there" but in the end my common sense prevailed and I chickened out.

Thanks again for your time and have a good one!
Thomas

1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1024MAK » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:44 pm

If you do wish to have a go at converting an Atari PSU, as there are a number of versions, post a good picture of both the top (component side) and the bottom (track side) and I will guide you through the process.
For the most common switch mode power supply (SMPS) types, to convert from 240V operation to 110V/120V operation you just add one link wire. You may wish to obtain a scrap PCB to have a practice first :mrgreen:
I have just had a look at one of mine. Look for the number of large electrolytic capacitors (the ones rated at 200V or more). If you have two, it can be converted to operate from a 110V/120V supply. If you only have a single large electrolytic capacitor rated at 400V or 450V, it's a 240V only PSU.
Last edited by 1024MAK on Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (nearly forgot the Psion's)

Ato
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Ato » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:32 pm

This sounds like an interesting "oh, it is raining"-weekend project - although I have to admit that it does not rain too often in New Mexico. :)

As soon as I am back from my Chile travel in three weeks, I will take the pictures and we can decide if the PS are of the modifiable kind. Shall I post the pictures then here?

Cheers,
Thomas

simbo

Postby simbo » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:19 pm

im sure you can maybe just change the voltage on atleast the monitor and the the mega machine
if i remember the stfm you just cut/make a link on its psu and it runs fine @ 110
there is no real issue to work out the power
if you half the voltage the current just about double's
so 80W @ 240v = I*V =W :. I=W/V 80/240 = .3~ amps or 333~ miliamps
so it will use about 600 - 700ma @110v

assuming most psu you can cut/make a link
take a step back from using adapters
open the units and please take your time to post a picture of the psu top side
a nice jpg of all three psu .. tops

if your stay is perminant there is other methods
built into certainly these older machines psu already for this

step up transformers can be a bad idea or inverters and can cause ground loops to form

this is the pic from the stfm is uses almost certainly the same psu as the megafile

just looked inside the monitor its a rev 1.1 and has adjustment
the circuit for 1.3 shows also how to do this
so just the mega2 ?? maybe someone can look in there psu
i dont have a mega2

if you need further online help i can use skype video audio etc
just give me a shout {links below and in profile}
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1024MAK » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:02 am

Ato wrote:Shall I post the pictures then here?

Yep, upload them in jpg format as attachments or post links to a picture file sharing site

Ato
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Ato » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:46 pm

Ok guys, thanks a lot again! This is really great.

I will post pictures here as soon as I get back home, which hopefully will be around the 3rd of September.

Cheers,
Thomas

Ato
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Ato » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:02 am

Hi folks,

I am back from Chile and will post the pictures tomorrow. In the meanwhile the transformer has arrived and all three units are working properly. Oh my goodness, I totally forgot how crappy those Atari mice were. :-)

Ato
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Ato » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:14 am

Hi folks,

so here are the pictures I took of the SM124, the Megafile 30 and the Mega ST 1. On the weekend everything was connected to the transformer that I had bought. Guess what happened? After an hour - I was not in the same room, the computer was idling, screen saver active (black screen) - my wife and I noticed the very typical "electric smell" of a PCB or something like this smoldering. Luckily nothing burned, but the screen was henceforth dead. :-( After I opened the monitor today, I noticed that one of the capacitors has leaked and is probably the reason for the malfunctioning. The pictures are on: https://www.sokrates.homelinux.net/~thomas/Private/Pictures/Atari/ (accept the self-signed certificate.)

SM124: IMG_0767.JPG, IMG_0772.JPG, IMG_0774.JPG
Mega ST 1: IMG_0775.JPG, IMG_0776.JPG
Megafile 30: IMG_0777.JPG, IMG_0778.JPG

Sorry for the poor image quality. It seems that the power supplies could perhaps handle the 120V here but the filters not? Anyway, since I do not have another Atari display, I ordered a Multisync cable to get going as soon as possible. Is it worth to fix the SM124?

Cheers,
Thomas

simbo

Postby simbo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:32 pm

the photos aint great and show nothing of any importance

i would stick to your inverter and let it be

just be carefull to plug all plugs into the units before 110v to the inverter
and before power to the units is applied

Ato
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Ato » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:12 pm

simbo wrote:the photos aint great and show nothing of any importance

I was afraid you would say that. :D If you tell me, I will take more pictures. Just need to know what I should take pictures of.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”