Modified ST hassles

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Modified ST hassles

Postby DarkLord » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:45 am

ralcool wrote:Might be time to make that cable for the MegaST keyboard. What could possibly go wrong. :roll:
ST. :cheers:

Umm..... :lol:
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ralcool » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:01 pm

Hmmm... It gets interesting.

The IDE board is certainly functional..... been using it for a couple hrs....... I have noticed that the act of formatting a floppy resulted in either of two 'errors'

The first is a simple msg, 'Unable to Format disk' appearing at any stage of the format. Clicking retry results in the progress bar zooming along- but no drive activity.

The second, is the HDD light glows solid- locks up the HDD,as soon as the format begins..... and the format goes ok. Repeatably.

Ok, so what now- I tried again the slightly modified original GAL I've been using for months.. it wasn't damaged as I thought... a pin was bent... :mrgreen: little things eh!

It has pull up resisters on all the address pins connected to it. A23-A16 + A5 and AS. One 9 pin resister pack, and two more seperate ones for A5 & AS.

I found the ROM mounted board only operated reliably with this GAL installed. Odd errors would crop up.

So, with this 'filtered' GAL fitted to the new board- the floppy is behaving itself again.

Must be some dirty signals somehow being made by the GAL the resisters are clearing up. (These are Lattice GALs too)

It kinda tells me I might have to include a position for a resister pack on the PCB then.... Great :roll:

4160STFM, (Blitter, 4Mb RAM 72pin, 16Mhz OC, IDE, HD FDD, Quad TOS, LaScan, DS1216E Clock, AT-Speed C16, Tom Kirk PS2 mouse, MegaST Keyboard)
What Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away
Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy
Don't let post count or join date fool you as to who is a newbie, and who knows what's what

ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ralcool » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:11 am

Well, Completely uneventful, and entirely successful...

The MegaST keyboard is working.

First try, no mucking about- just compared the two circuit diagrams for both systems- opened the keyboard to check which pins were power and ground.

Connected Tx & Rx Data lines to the appropriate pins in the ST.

Plugged it in.

Thanks Spiny. :D :D :D

From Here.
MegaST_KB.jpg

To here.
MegaST_KB_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4160STFM, (Blitter, 4Mb RAM 72pin, 16Mhz OC, IDE, HD FDD, Quad TOS, LaScan, DS1216E Clock, AT-Speed C16, Tom Kirk PS2 mouse, MegaST Keyboard)
Don't let post count or join date fool you as to who is a newbie, and who knows what's what

1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1024MAK » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:49 am

I'll have to add Blu-Tack to my stash of "standard for bodging" electronics parts... :lol:

And don't you just love Atari for keeping the keyboards compatible with the different models :D

Mark
Falcon, Atari 520ST, 520STFM, 1040STE, Mega, TT and more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (nearly forgot the Psion's).
Visit the Atari-Forum Wiki. Lots of technical info at DrCoolZic Atari ST Site :D

ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ralcool » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 am

Hey Man, Blu-tack is my third hand ok.... :lol:

So sometimes it gets left in place... and doing a fine job too. :mrgreen: nevermind the dust.

As for Atari keeping things simple- I still look at the IDE/TOS board and think... it couldn't be that easy....

ST :cheers:

ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ralcool » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:03 am

So here is a completely pointless picture of the ST as it sits now.

HackAtari.jpg

And an equally pointless pic of the desktop showing todays date.... the Atari does in fact work. :mrgreen:

IMG_4142s.jpg

See the Awesome widescreen overscan delivered by the Lascan mod?! The Dallas RTC chip also providing time of day. And nearly 8Gb of storage internally.

ST. :twisted:

PS, Mind you, I reckon I've found a bug in the Areal37 RTC clock software.. Using the desk accessory its Y2k ok and perfect.
Using the auto folder boot program, the time is right.. but the date isn't. Weird.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:43 pm

re: the RTC, the software seems to be fine on my ST, using the auto folder prog.

also, do you need to change the 'REV 2.2' on your board ? :D

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:37 am

ralcool wrote:So here is a completely pointless picture of the ST as it sits now.

8O WOW... what a setup... with tons of enhancement add-on.
Will the keyboard be able to fit the case or you need that MST keyboard.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ralcool » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:30 am

wongck wrote:
8O WOW... what a setup... with tons of enhancement add-on.
Will the keyboard be able to fit the case or you need that MST keyboard.

Well actually- the original keyboard does juuust fit. It would be nice to close the case one day.

But I'm always doing something inside, so my keyboard is always sitting to the side in danger of damage.

So a MegaST keyboard is a better option for me. It has its own case, and now a longer cable!

If I mount anything else on top of the cpu mounted ide board- Then I can't fit the keyboard.
The Dallas chip should go somewhere else too- like Spiny discovered. Its all very tight.

The Mega keyboard does feel very nice. Haven't touched one for a very long time.

I know some of my wiring could be neater- but some of it is temporary, others have been there for a long time.

Now I'm happy the IDE board works fine- I'll build a couple more.. Spiny needs one at least. Labour intensive though.

Otherwise, I'll be getting back to the CAD software and build the 8Mb Alternate/TT RAM design Frank showed us. :D

ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ralcool » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:12 am

spiny wrote:re: the RTC, the software seems to be fine on my ST, using the auto folder prog.

also, do you need to change the 'REV 2.2' on your board ? :D

Yup, I shall call it 'REV Ralcool'

:lol: :angel:

After I realised I wasn't setting the date in US format- since changing over from SuperMon loaded time.. it seems ok now.

I don't think the Atari PSU will handle all the new additions. If I did close the case, I would want to have the power supply internally too.
The external ATX PC PSU is working well for now. (Although I have killed one so far... why does this happen to me?!)

ST.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:36 am

Bit offtopic, but something odd... as I posted in another thread, I popped my T25
back in for some of Guillaume's tests.

Well, I couldn't get the STacy to boot up at all, and the floppy drive access light
was cycling on and off with the access "click" when its attempting to read a disk.

Of course, then I remembered I hadn't switched the wire back from our last
attempt to get the PAK board to get along with the HD floppy mod, so I switched
it back. I also had to unplug the PAK from the powersupply.

After that, it booted right up, back to normal. It's just odd sometimes how
twitchy my darned STacy can be. When Atari named them STacy's, I think
they meant *female* STacy and they got it just right because they sure are
temperamental sometimes... :roll:

Oh maybe a bit more on topic, at least we're talking about clocks. I finally
got around to installing the clock software that Jookie wrote for the Ultrasatan
and its RTC. Dead simple to use and works like a charm. Now my STacy is
updated <pun intended> and on time... :)

ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ralcool » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:05 am

If the changes you were referring too was just the 'single fdd mode' re-route.. then it shouldn't have made any difference. Um, Anyway...

Some more pcb material arrived today (Finally...omg).. So I'll build your latest HD 32mhz mod, an IDE/TOS board for Spiny. And finally my new flashable MultiTOS ROM pcb/selector board.
I can use the 29F040 ROMs again. yay, i want to burn MagicC 6.2 for a try.... Hopefully do the reburn IN the Atari... entirely possible if I get it right.

If there is any leftovers, well.. lets see what happens. (Can't see the Alt/TT Ram 8Mb Mod, or the EtherNec board finished soon... too much else to do)

There is the plan. Now I have material. Time to see the many ways to screw it up.

I hope this thread serves as a reminder- DIY is possible, only if you have time and patience.

Before or after this, I plan to do the PPP link to my main PC.... This time of night.. I can't be bothered to search around for the equipment to do it. Or maybe I will later.... I can't remember.

Keep an eye out for the Bats.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:52 pm

Hey. Know how it is on stuff - hurry up and wait seems to be the rule. I'm still
waiting on my Lattice eproms to get here. :)

Anyway, yep - I don't think it was anything to do with the HD floppy mod or the
test changes we did. It's fully back to the original wiring setup right now, just with
the paperclip short in place so the PAK will function right.

I think it was the PS connection. When I unplugged it from the PAK, which I had
just moved to one side to plug the T25 in, it all took off again. Like I said, the
beaST is temperamental. :)

Another dream I've always had with my STacy concerns connectivity as well. Once
I do get it all back together (whether its a PAK powered or T25 powered version),
I'd like to start working with the Hydra board I've got. Last year I also grabbed one
of those wireless gamer devices (made by DLink). I'd love to be able to sit at my
kitchen table with my restored STacy fired up, connecting wirelessly to my LAN. I
think that would just rule. :)

So yeah, keep us updated on you ppp experiments. I'd certainly like to see how they
go. :)

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:06 pm

Sean, some more (maybe potentially useful) 1.44 info here:

http://pest.atari.org/cps/last/

Lots of good reading anyway - figured you might want to take
a gander at it. :)

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:58 pm

Only just spotted this thread, I know a while ago back here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15200&start=100

I did a IDE/RAM PCB, but it never got even tested, I did plan on building in other stuff at the time, but as the OP seems to have found out, its a mile long run of problems. It is still something I want to add to my ST at some point though, well a IDE interface that is, but its a fair bit down on the list of stuff to do. Its great people are still hacking stuff though!

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:32 am

Hahahaha, I just posted a message in that thread, directing you here...which you
obviously already found.

Funny. :)

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:05 am

DarkLord wrote:Hahahaha, I just posted a message in that thread, directing you here...which you
obviously already found.

I nearly did that as well. :roll:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ralcool » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:11 am

Well, I guess he finally got an answer 3yrs late. (Well the IDE part... Alt RAM will take me a bit longer)

Such is retro life. :mrgreen:

I'd be curious to know what circuit design you were looking at for the altRAM mod.

Cheers,

PS, HACK THE PLANET!!!! :lol: :lol:

1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1024MAK » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:20 am

ralcool wrote:PS, HACK THE PLANET!!!! :lol: :lol:

It's been done! It returns the result "42"!
Blame the "mice", that's what I say (and "Don't Panic!") :lol: :lol:
Falcon, Atari 520ST, 520STFM, 1040STE, Mega, TT and more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (nearly forgot the Psion's).
Visit the Atari-Forum Wiki. Lots of technical info at DrCoolZic Atari ST Site :D

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:39 am

While looking at some zip files, I STumble on this.
Not sure where I got it from but probably from somewhere here (may be from Frank) :roll:
Not much use to me but may be of some use to you.

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:13 am

Had a quick looks, looks a good enough one to try. I wasn't going to go beyond 4MB with my pcb as the talks said in my thread, not many applications would be able to use it, plus it would be alt-ram by the sounds of it, so even less programs could use it anyway.

I was just looking to push a IDE/CF card inside my ST more than anything, aly at the time wanted to do a external one, but the ultrasatan thing magically appeared after we accounced we was developing one so everyone brought that rendering our project a bit useless, I don't know how far aly got with the project in the end, in anycase, the board I did was for a 4MB simm upgrade and a internal IDE drive, which would adaprt to a CF card or similar. The intention there was to allow me to copy all my files onto it to sort them out, as loading everything from floppy would take an age, I did a lot on my falcon (internal IDE!) but a lot of stuff wouldn't work on there anyway. With that in mind, I think some were on about mashing a amiga upgrade in there instead, so it drifted off topic, so the pcb never got made. It is still something I want to do, but its not in my top 10 things "to do".. If there was demand then it be worth doing sooner, though my stuff is all solder in and not many can do it, I think my early 4MB pcbs sold one a year, problem is there is the board will only fit on a particular layout of ST motherboard (which i class as the most popular one).

In anycase, always happy to help if I can, I have not been around on here for some time (work and such!) , but always replied to my PM's. Would help is someone could give the "lowdown" as to what this project is to save my mashing though pages on this thread :lol:

ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ralcool » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:25 pm

The Lowdown eh?.... Not an unreasonable question...

This thread has gone nuts... far too long maybe, but lots of good bits learnt- mixed in with results from other people with their projects.
Still waiting for Dal to shut it down.... :contract: :lol:

It is a rediscovering my ST, and doing things I couldn't once do due to lack of skills, age, and money

Now, The tools are cheap- the hardware while rare... is not so precious to prevent me engaging in ways to change it. Mr Hyde is in the building.

I'm not the sort to do art, write poems or collect stamps. I'd rather do an otherwise needless circuit that improves the Atari experience for me.
...(Although the missus reckons the pcb designs are nearly art-worthy :mrgreen: )

So, I'm using this page- this thread, as a way of sharing where I'm going. In the end, this road is going nowhere. Maybe just up to the pub.

Because a number of interesting things have gone on- I update a bit of an index on page one of useful? posts with a technical angle that may help others.

Summary... Find any interesting Documented/DIY hardware hack ever devised in the past 20yrs- and if within my scope or abilities... try it.

Hope you look in occasionally to see what I'm doing.... I know I look in on others! 8O

ST. :angel:

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:44 pm

ralcool wrote:
This thread has gone nuts... far too long maybe, but lots of good bits learnt- mixed in with results from other people with their projects.
Still waiting for Dal to shut it down.... :contract: :lol:

Ssshhhhh!!!!!!!!! :roll: :lol:

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:15 pm

So again I STumble on to something while sorting my ZIP files that hiding in the corner of my HDD.

Here is a doc on WRS online HDD with, if I'm not mistaken, gal codes and layouts.
Hope it helps.
Have fun!

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:17 pm

Road to nowhere.. sounds like most of my stuff :lol: :roll:

http://pest.atari.org/cps/last/floppy/index.htm

I still have a few of these pcbs if anyone wants one, I stopped upgrading Atari's a long long time ago, though maybe one day I will add to this thread too ;) I think my IDE interface was from ppepra from my thread, I presume it works, though not tried it, saying that I think it used a GAL, and i dont have a gal programmer, so its a bit of a non-start already, even considering the PCB is actually done :lol: 8) :roll:

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”