Modified ST hassles

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Re: Modified ST hassles

Postby ralcool » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:56 am

Nice.

OT, who cares?... Now we're being human. This thread has been sidetracked before. :lol:

PS, The parcels were sent today airmail in nearby larger town... local PO didn't have enough stamps to cover international prices! :evil:

Goodluck guys.
4160STFM, (Blitter, 4Mb RAM 72pin, 16Mhz OC, IDE, HD FDD, Quad TOS, LaScan, DS1216E Clock, AT-Speed C16, Tom Kirk PS2 mouse, MegaST Keyboard)
What Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away
Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy
Don't let post count or join date fool you as to who is a newbie, and who knows what's what
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby kristjanga » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:27 pm

ralcool wrote:Out of morning boredom. I decided to Google where I live to see what is said about the place

Found this nice little webpage- I thought I'd show you too.

http://www.lavershillanddistrict.org/default.htm

Welcome to my tiny Town. Remote, Quiet, and above all Peaceful.

We have a school, a post office, a pub, and about 190 residents- many you never see. Being a junction on the Great Ocean Road we see a lot of people/tourists passing by. Some days its a ghost town.
At 1500ft ASL, some (many) days we sit in cloud and can barely see anything for the 'fog'. Reminds me of that PS1 game Silent Hill.

And at 1900mm of annual rainfall, your feet are always wet :) There is no 'town' water... everyone has a tank/dam.

:cheers:

is there a space for one more person there?? any work there
I don´t like iceland any more so i wana move away from all this corrupt criminal banking gov..... i think you get me
kristjanga
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ralcool » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:37 pm

Work here is minimal. Someone has to die/leave before an opening! We are welcome to new incomers...

After arriving here I had to plug myself as a IT guy / mechanic to find much work.

Its paid off, I spend my days either serving hungry customers/tourists,making the beds of sleeping travellers for the motel, or doing repairs to the computer/survelliance systems for my boss that runs the business. (Nothing like my previous career fixing military aircraft)

Despite that, its all very peaceful. I can raise my daughters in a remote country enviroment- and the wife (my best friend) is happy.

But I can play in MY workshop to my hearts content. :twisted: ... the best gift EVER!.....but why is there never enough firewood or download allowance?!
4160STFM, (Blitter, 4Mb RAM 72pin, 16Mhz OC, IDE, HD FDD, Quad TOS, LaScan, DS1216E Clock, AT-Speed C16, Tom Kirk PS2 mouse, MegaST Keyboard)
Don't let post count or join date fool you as to who is a newbie, and who knows what's what
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby joska » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:38 am

ralcool wrote:Found this on the DoIT_ST archives today... is this the Joska of this forum???

""
Today I successfully accelerated my Stacy to 10MHz :-) I'm currently testing it, so far it looks very stable. This was a very simple modification:

Yes, this is me. IIRC this is something I posted on c.s.a.s. about 10 years ago. FIY the 48Mhz oscillator worked fine too, but the LCD could barely cope with the new refresh-rate and the screen got quite dim. Then I fried the motherboard when I attempted to fit my AdSpeed16 and gave up this project.
Jo Even

Firebee - Milan060 - Falcon040 - Falcon030 - FreeMiNT - XaAES - MIST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
joska
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ralcool » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:42 am

Fried is rather extreme 8O , you must have done something REAL bad.... :cry:
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1024MAK » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:33 pm

ralcool wrote:Fried is rather extreme 8O , you must have done something REAL bad.... :cry:

You ain't seen fried until you've seen what a PCB looks like after an encounter with a lightening strike :lol: :lol: :lol:

(BTW high voltage faults on CRT TV sets were also suppose to cause lots of damage..)
Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (nearly forgot the Psion's)
1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby joska » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:10 am

ralcool wrote:Fried is rather extreme 8O , you must have done something REAL bad.... :cry:

Well, not exactly "fried". I don't know exactly what I did, but I messed up some tracks when I fitted the AdSpeed. I could not get the motherboard working again after that. I gave the motherboard to a friend, he fixed it some years later.
Jo Even

Firebee - Milan060 - Falcon040 - Falcon030 - FreeMiNT - XaAES - MIST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
joska
Atari God
Atari God

Postby wongck » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:24 am

ralcool wrote:Nothing like my previous career fixing military aircraft

That's interesting....
My Stuff: Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ FB/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:30 am

kristjanga wrote:I don´t like iceland any more so i wana move away from all this corrupt criminal banking gov..... i think you get me

But there is no gov that is not corrupt in any way. :(
My Stuff: Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ FB/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby zackworld » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:44 am

ralcool wrote:PS, The parcels were sent today airmail in nearby larger town... local PO didn't have enough stamps to cover international prices! :evil:

Nice suprise to my morning.
Just received my "Official Ralcool HD kit". :D

Looks just what I need for a successfull mod.

Typicall. I'm away for a week from tomorrow, so I'll have to delay the install for a bit. :cry:

Thank you Ralcool. Looks like you've put quite a bit of thought into my package.
It's much appreciated

zackworld
Atarian
Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:28 am

ralcool wrote:PS, The parcels were sent today airmail in nearby larger town... local PO didn't have enough stamps to cover international prices! :evil:

8O WOW... now that's a real small town !!
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby ralcool » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:53 pm

zackworld wrote:

Nice suprise to my morning.
Just received my "Official Ralcool HD kit". :D

Looks just what I need for a successfull mod.

Typicall. I'm away for a week from tomorrow, so I'll have to delay the install for a bit. :cry:

Thank you Ralcool. Looks like you've put quite a bit of thought into my package.
It's much appreciated

8) Kewl.... Look forward to hearing how it works out.

I tried hard to include everything you need... just supply your own wire and solder. Good luck. Hope those ROMs work for you.

Mr Wong.. The military stuff was mainly the ancient Caribous.. A nice mix of Avgas, Valve electronics- and a touch of modern stuff... :lol: Heady times. (And a little time on BlackHawks)

ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby wongck » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:30 pm

ralcool wrote:Mr Wong.. The military stuff was mainly the ancient Caribous.. A nice mix of Avgas, Valve electronics- and a touch of modern stuff... :lol: Heady times. (And a little time on BlackHawks)

Mmm... seen them Caribous flying over Butterworth during some ancient times, when the RAAF was there. :mrgreen:
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby ralcool » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:05 pm

I'm proud to say I gave a decade of service in the RAAF to keep those buggers flying. NOT easy on a 40+ yr old airplane. To many original and bloody near impossible to maintain factory specifications. (Other than aussie modifications...) Taught me heaps. Shame they are now finally retired. R.I.P. :( Died early IMHO. They had years of service left... (gee, Like the Concorde.... :evil: ) flamin' govern'mints.....

Anyway, I got to drive/fly it, fix everything on it (my job- Avionics), and had many good times, sometimes under massive pressure. Thats the job.
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1024MAK » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:38 pm

ralcool wrote:Like the Concorde.... :evil: ) flamin' govern'mints.....

It's said that the destruction of the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in New York was the cause of BA to "retire" the Concorde fleet. Due to two reasons, 1) a number of regular passengers died in the Twin Towers and 2), Americans (mainly businessmen/women) were less keen on flying due to the "al-Qaeda" threat.
Shame really, as most of the Concorde aircraft had been barely run-in compared to those 747 sky buses :evil: . I watched Concorde 216 - G-BOAF land for the last time at Filton airfield. Truly an amazing aircraft. (http://www.concordeatfilton.org.uk http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-10644070 http://www.concordesst.com).

wongck wrote:WOW... now that's a real small town !!
In the UK I am tempted to say that we would call it a village. At least it looks big enough to be a village (going on what Ralcool has said and the view from Google Maps). In my line of work I often drive through little hamlets (just a small collection of houses normally near a farm or two but not big enough to be called a village, no shops, no church etc) :D .

zackworld wrote:Thank you Ralcool. Looks like you've put quite a bit of thought into my package.
It's much appreciated :cheers:

Ralcool does indeed do a bloody good job with his "kits". What more can I say :mrgreen:
Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (nearly forgot the Psion's)
1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby spiny » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:53 pm

1024MAK wrote: In the UK I am tempted to say that we would call it a village. At least it looks big enough to be a village (going on what Ralcool has said and the view from Google Maps). In my line of work I often drive through little hamlets (just a small collection of houses normally near a farm or two but not big enough to be called a village, no shops, no church etc) :D .

zackworld wrote:Thank you Ralcool. Looks like you've put quite a bit of thought into my package.
It's much appreciated :cheers:

Ralcool does indeed do a bloody good job with his "kits". What more can I say :mrgreen:

yeah, I live in a village too, in fact my local post office closed due to lack of use two years ago. but unlike Mr Ralcool, I can drive for 20 minutes and be at the main post office :)

totally agree on the kits too, my DD/HD switcher kit kicks ass :)
spiny

Postby Shredder11 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:16 am

I recently upgraded one of my 4160STE with a dual TOS (1.62 + 2.06), so the next step is to add the 16MHz CPU + HD Floppy upgrade from Ralcool. From what everyone are saying, these are really great bits of kit that Ral is putting together here.

Regards Post Offices in the UK, does anyone here get grief from them whenever you present a PayPal pre-paid package to them? They seem to complain about the most insignificent of things and then treat you like some soft, smelly brown stuff under their shoes. :roll:
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby wongck » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:53 am

Shredder11 wrote:I recently upgraded one of my 4160STE with a dual TOS (1.62 + 2.06), so the next step is to add the 16MHz CPU + HD Floppy upgrade from Ralcool. From what everyone are saying, these are really great bits of kit that Ral is putting together here.
That's STE will become then a Mega STE....
Shredder11 wrote:a PayPal pre-paid package
Sorry but what is a PayPal pre-paid package ???
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby ralcool » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:33 pm

Yes... um that combo board is still on the burner....I have had delays getting that project to a 'sellable' standard.

Mainly due to time contraints and installation documentation. (I have no STE to find the signals/traces to wire it to- but it has them, I can only supply Atari IC pin numbers)

I know the board works, so that is not the problem. Just how do I supply instructions & pictures to install it?

So to be aware the project is not shelved..its actually ready (and two built).... but how do I tell you how to fit it to an STE.....? You need balls to undertake the first install from what I can tell you.

For a glimpse of my next revigorated next project I offer you this, Shhhhh. (Not my work/channel- but what I'm viewing and reverse engineering...again) I lost interest for a while- blame the hoaxsters.
This really seems real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwQ6Acv2fQc

Freddy is brilliant.

I have been posting on their Yahoo page my ideas of modifications and observations.. I just hope they can release the 'open source' plans they promise soon- so I can finish what I'm building. (a replica)
This has been a long and expensive dream for +15yrs.... (Yes I have built many working 'cells', plus other stuff- but not in this league/level!)

Sometimes I just go back to my Atari or my Motorbike or Cars, and play with what I can actually achieve. It gives hope and much relaxation. Not much in my house is un-modified in some way.
Bugger watching dumb TV- that is entertainment for the mind..I work in Spirit.

Dont tell anyone.

Later dudes. :cheers:
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ralcool » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:57 pm

wongck wrote:
kristjanga wrote:I don´t like iceland any more so i wana move away from all this corrupt criminal banking gov..... i think you get me

But there is no gov that is not corrupt in any way. :(

They have names for people like you..... :lol:
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ralcool » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:08 pm

1024MAK[quote="wongck wrote:WOW... now that's a real small town !!
In the UK I am tempted to say that we would call it a village. At least it looks big enough to be a village (going on what Ralcool has said and the view from Google Maps). In my line of work I often drive through little hamlets (just a small collection of houses normally near a farm or two but not big enough to be called a village, no shops, no church etc) :D .

[/quote]

Here it is on Google maps. The 'Town/Village' A least 45km from anywhere else. (No we don't drive....just walk there.. unless its raining...like always) Love it.
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby wongck » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:39 pm

Man... you're like 200m from your work place. Your boss will definitely like you because you are always minutes away from the workplace :lol: :lol:
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Shredder11 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:42 pm

ralcool wrote:Yes... um that combo board is still on the burner....I have had delays getting that project to a 'sellable' standard.

Mainly due to time contraints and installation documentation. (I have no STE to find the signals/traces to wire it to- but it has them, I can only supply Atari IC pin numbers)

I know the board works, so that is not the problem. Just how do I supply instructions & pictures to install it?

So to be aware the project is not shelved..its actually ready (and two built).... but how do I tell you how to fit it to an STE.....? You need balls to undertake the first install from what I can tell you.

Sometimes I just go back to my Atari or my Motorbike or Cars, and play with what I can actually achieve. It gives hope and much relaxation. Not much in my house is un-modified in some way.
Bugger watching dumb TV- that is entertainment for the mind..I work in Spirit.

No problem as there is no big rush or anything; I will be dead chuffed when you are ready to send it though, plus between now and then it gives me time to arrange the installation of it with my uncle. I'd love to video him doing it but I think he will want me to leave it with him for a few days and then pick it up once completed. I will probably do a video anyway of what the mod looks like and running a few programs, plus maybe a couple of real life speed comparisons.

It's strange how I am more drawn towards the Atari ST/E and Falcon 030; The Amiga has always impressed me greatly ever since it was launched, but so far I have not been tempted to buy one. Maybe I am a sucker for the under dog and like to see every last drop rung out of a machine, thus defying the odds etc. :contract: 8O :cheers:

Oh and I loved the video link you shared there. I have seen this kind of technology mentioned on various motoring programmes for years, but none with any indepth information that treat the viewing audience like they had any intelligence or desire for alternatives to petrol. Maybe these 'petrol head' programmes are quietly hoping this geeky new fangled stuff will go away, so they can stick their heads in the sand and pretend oil will last forever...or for their lifetime at least.

Psssst! Your secret is safe with us! :wink:
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby 1024MAK » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:33 pm

Shredder11 wrote:Regards Post Offices in the UK, does anyone here get grief from them whenever you present a PayPal pre-paid package to them? They seem to complain about the most insignificent of things and then treat you like some soft, smelly brown stuff under their shoes. :roll:

Each post office "branch" normally gets paid for the services that are used. With PayPal prepaid printed postage labels they get less money (where you pay for the postage through your PayPal account and then print your label complete with valid postage details - see https://www.paypal-business.co.uk/merch ... ostage.htm).
If you have a local post office and want it to say open, you may wish to think before giving further profit to PayPal...
1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby wongck » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:12 pm

1024MAK wrote:
Shredder11 wrote:Regards Post Offices in the UK, does anyone here get grief from them whenever you present a PayPal pre-paid package to them? They seem to complain about the most insignificent of things and then treat you like some soft, smelly brown stuff under their shoes. :roll:

Each post office "branch" normally gets paid for the services that are used. With PayPal prepaid printed postage labels they get less money (where you pay for the postage through your PayPal account and then print your label complete with valid postage details - see https://www.paypal-business.co.uk/merch ... ostage.htm).
If you have a local post office and want it to say open, you may wish to think before giving further profit to PayPal...

Thanks !
Ahhh.... something that is peculiar to British Royal mail & pay-pal.
No wonder we don't have it over here.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware