I cheated.....sort of.
I told you my dremel (not a dremel.. but a dremel style tool) had broken... Well I didn't lie.. it did.
Turns out the brushes- specifically the negative brush was seriously corroded. So was the negative wire from the battery that I had to fix a while back.
The brush holder disintegrated as I took apart the motor. After I confirmed power was getting to it.
My brother gave me a more expensive dremel imitation about 2 years ago. (He is a power tool salesman and this one was dead after the first use -aparently)
He gave me the remains and suggested I could fix and keep it. I didn't bother fixing until tonight.....Well burnt tracks, blown diodes, and after fixing all that- it seems the regulator IC is also dead. But the motor is new and fine. Plus this one has a nice bearing on its shaft.
unlike mine that was cheap/crappy, but has given fantastic service.
No spare IC in my box. yet.
Solution? My slightly modifed ATX power supply that I use to feed my ST, test HDDs... and general 'lab' power supply- has been put into service for another use.
When I built it into a 'lab' supply, I fitted banana jacks to allow use of all the avaiable voltages (+12,+5,+3,-12, and obviously ground) to a simple top mounted panel.
With an LED and a switch, a ceramic resister to 'load' the 5v rail slightly- plus one more little extra.....
A variable output circuit. Fed from 12v, I can get anything from 0 to about 10 volts. It will handle about 5amps- depending on voltage.
Perfect to feed a simple DC hand tool! (Amazing what beer can achieve) BONUS.. Its now heaps lighter now the battery pack isn't required!
So after this creative interlude... time to get drilling!