Atari st series computers conversion PC

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

BeardSwitcher
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Atari st series computers conversion PC

Postby BeardSwitcher » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:04 am

ST keyboard Reset pin Arduino code example:

#define ST_RESET 4 // Used pin #4 in this example. Any free pin can be used.

pinMode(ST_RESET, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(ST_RESET, LOW);
delay(100);
digitalWrite(ST_RESET, HIGH);

Got this part in a PM from Joska before.
Maybe switch LOW / HIGH Values if it does'nt work.

Good luck. Will try later this evening.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Atari 520STfm, 2* Atari 1040STfm, 2* Atari 2MB STE, Atari Mega 4, SatanDisk, Atari Megafile 40, Atari Megafile 60 + a bunch of 12" Monocrome Atari Monitors and a Atari PC Clone.

AxelG
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby AxelG » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:24 am

Cool,

thanx 2 both of U ;)
*will try*

Axel

Code: Select all

#include <WProgram.h>
#include "ps2.h"

void* operator new(size_t size) { return malloc(size); }
void operator delete(void* ptr) { free(ptr); }

#define DEBUG_
#define PS2_PROCESS ps2_keyboard.process()

PS2 ps2_keyboard(2,3);

delay(100);
Is there anything you can't do with two Atari ST PCs?

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:33 am

joska wrote:Easy now, I'm in the process of installing OSX on an old HP desktop and I'm running out of patience :) Beardswitcher's schematics is correct.

Last year when I tried installing OSX on my wintel machine, the OSX performed better than the wintel :lol:
The wireless was immediately detected and was 5 bars on OSX while on Wintel with the drivers from the wireless company only managed 3 bars :mrgreen:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:43 am

AxelG wrote:Cool,

thanx 2 both of U ;)
*will try*

Axel

delay(100);

This part must be inside the setup()-function.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

AxelG
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby AxelG » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:05 pm

#include <WProgram.h>
#include "ps2.h"

void* operator new(size_t size) { return malloc(size); }
void operator delete(void* ptr) { free(ptr); }

#define DEBUG_
#define PS2_PROCESS ps2_keyboard.process()

PS2 ps2_keyboard(2,3);

void setup(void)
{
#ifdef DEBUG
  Serial.begin(9600);
#else
  Serial.begin(7812);
#endif
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);

// Check if a ST keyboard is attached.
#ifndef DEBUG
  delay(100);
  reset_st_keyboard();
#endif
  delay(100);

// Init PS/2 keyboard and (optionally) mouse
  ps2_keyboard_init(&ps2_keyboard);
}

void loop(void)
{
#if 0
  {
    static long t = 0;
    static uint8_t makeorbreak = 0x80;

if (millis() - t > 333)
    {
      makeorbreak == 0x80 ? makeorbreak = 0:makeorbreak = 0x80;
      process_st_key(0x1d | makeorbreak);
      t = millis();
    }
  }
#else
#ifdef DEBUG
#else
  // Sjekk og evt. les ST-tastaturet
  if (Serial.available() > 0)
  {
    uint8_t t = Serial.read();
    process_st_key(t);
  }
#endif

// Process key repeat on the ST keyboard
  typematic();
#endif

// Prosessér lese- og skrivebufferane til PS2-emulatoren
  PS2_PROCESS;

// Sjekk om PS2-verten vil sende oss noko.
  if (ps2_keyboard.available() > 0)
    process_ps2_keyboard_command(&ps2_keyboard, ps2_keyboard.read());
}

Compiled and uploded, connected Pin D4 to ST Reset.

Not working, yet.

I'll be testing and keep you updated ;)

AxelG
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby AxelG » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:28 pm

arduiono_nano_pins.jpg

ST_keyboard_pins.jpg

ps2_male_pins.jpg

axel_schematic.jpg

Hi Joska, hi BeardSwitcher,

I do have everything included I think I can come up with. Did I do everything right until here (schematic)?

THX
AxelG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BeardSwitcher
Atari User
Atari User

Postby BeardSwitcher » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:30 pm

hi AxelG. :D

Struggling here aswell.
DLed the program into my Arduino, it seemed to run when the USB cable was attached. (debugleds lightning up as a christmas tree)
Then i just quickly connected everything together according to my previous description.
And turned everything on.
No life what so ever in the arduino.
I read a bit and . aaaah... the arduino needs between 7-12V input power ( atleast my version, check your datacheet. )
So some quick soldering and the arduino showed some life . ( i stole some power from my PC's 12V powerline and put it into the Arduino powerjack. )
The powerled on the atari KB lights up now and the Arduino shows some life on the debugLEDS. :D :D :D
And if i press the resetbutton on my arduino does my PC make some quick clicknoices that indicates to me that not everything is lost... there are some kind of connection.

See photo of my currently messy setup....
I will try to swap the LOW/HIGH part of the ST KB reset code and see what it does.
And add some debugcode to blink a LED to guide me on my way...

Stay tuned...
now powered by german beer and determination to get this to work ... :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Atari 520STfm, 2* Atari 1040STfm, 2* Atari 2MB STE, Atari Mega 4, SatanDisk, Atari Megafile 40, Atari Megafile 60 + a bunch of 12" Monocrome Atari Monitors and a Atari PC Clone.

BeardSwitcher
Atari User
Atari User

Postby BeardSwitcher » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:35 pm

Sofar i can tell (if im right) that my Arduino does'nt detect the Atari KB keypresses.
I put some small debugcode that should turn on a LED permanently when i pressed Enter. Nothing happens

I have also made some better soldering on my connections to avoid gliches...

Maybe more german beer is'nt the solution... but i'll try anyway.. :cheers:

AxelG
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby AxelG » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:40 pm

Hi BeardSwitcher,

uhmmm, which beer? :cheers:

I get apprx 7.5 Volts out of the PS/2 or PS/2 over USB power pin, so my Addy shows some red led light here.
The ST keyboard is atached to Addy's Pin 27, that's a regulated +5V output.
Hence the keyboard led lights up as well.

Windows still thinks the usb device is unrecognizable.

It's a bit frustating not knowing where the failure might be. Wiring, code, keyboard, PS/2 USB adapter, USB Port, PS/2 combo port.
This might be the fourth day on this single task. :roll:

We'll see.
AxelG

AxelG
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby AxelG » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:48 pm

Hmmmmm,

let's see if we can't overcome this Addy whith a little bit more debug code, a little bit more beer :lol:

-> So, how about adding led (led 13?) blinking to Keyboard input? (I dont have it yet)

-> So how about sending (simulated) say 10 PS/2 keyboard presses /keys/ keycodes to the PC after 20 seconds ?

That way, we could test both directions...

AxelG

BeardSwitcher
Atari User
Atari User

Postby BeardSwitcher » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:19 pm

AxelG wrote:Hmmmmm,

let's see if we can't overcome this Addy whith a little bit more debug code, a little bit more beer :lol:

-> So, how about adding led (led 13?) blinking to Keyboard input? (I dont have it yet)

-> So how about sending (simulated) say 10 PS/2 keyboard presses /keys/ keycodes to the PC after 20 seconds ?

That way, we could test both directions...

AxelG

Do not mess to much with your code. somehow my program leaves the main loop never to enter it again... ( i blame the beer) Luckily i have the original Code zipped...

Btw.
I figured out that the pin 3 on the Atari KB connector is for the FloppyLed. :D Put 0V on that and it lights up. (5V = Off)
I use it for debugging right now :D Kinda cool...
Last edited by BeardSwitcher on Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AxelG
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby AxelG » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:22 pm

Cool, so we have a ST Floppy access simulator here :mrgreen: [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_02.gif]

BTW.: You're working on your Addy tommorrow (Friday)?

(I'm pretty much done for now, hope to see you toorrow :) )

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:12 am

Guys, try swapping the rx/tx-lines from the keyboard and see if it works. Also, try fiddling with the reset-sequence. I'm using this interface on a daily basis with my Milan and a TT keyboard, so it definitely works. The reset is the only thing I haven't tested, as the TT keyboard has an internal reset circuit.

The Arduino is fed with +5V directly from the PS/2-port on the Vin-pin. If you got anything else than +5V on your PS/2-port something is definitely fishy...

Remember to disconnect the PS/2-port and ST keyboard while programming it, and disconnect the USB-cable when the PS/2-port is connected.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:17 am

joska wrote:The Arduino is fed with +5V directly from the PS/2-port on the Vin-pin.

Correction: Not the Vin-pin (which goes to the input of the regulator, I would guess it won't work with anything less than 7V), but the +5v/Vcc pin.
Jo Even

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:26 am

AxelG wrote:I do have everything included I think I can come up with. Did I do everything right until here (schematic)?

Connect the PS/2 +5V-pin to the Arduino +5V-pin. Don't connect anything to the Arduino's Vin-pin.

Make sure that you've connected the PS/2 connector correctly. It's easy to mess this up by counting the pins from the wrong side ;) I've done this many times.

How to debug:

ST-keyboard: Toggle digital pin 13 every time a byte is received on the serial port. This should cause the LED to blink whenever a key is pressed.

PS/2-connection: Dump a sequence of scancodes to the PS/2 port and see if anything happens on the PC ;)

There should be no need to debug the PS/2-stuff. As long as everything is wired correctly, it should work. The ST keyboard reset is the only thing that might require some work.
Jo Even

AxelG
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby AxelG » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:53 am

Hi Joska,

I was a bit astonished about thsoe 7,5 Volts @ my USB as well. But as I said, I use them on the Vin pin, wich can take some 20 Volts Input or so.

The 5 Volt Pin is fixed Input/ fixed Output, so the keyboard is happy as well. I will (and have tried this on many different PS/2 and USB ports), so I (hope I) will definately see, when it works. ;)

I will try to check if I messed up somewhere. Rx schould be on Tx, an vice versa, tho ;)

Ciao,
AxelG ;)

BeardSwitcher
Atari User
Atari User

Postby BeardSwitcher » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:07 am

Current status:
* Case modified gently. Maximiced usage of existing openings. The plastic is quite brittle, be careful...
* Atari KB -> PS2 conversion is not working. If i understand it correctly are the keypresses from my KB not recognizes/detected by the Arduino adaptor. (debugging ongoing)

There are a clearence issue to make everything to fit, the memory of the ITX board is 5-7mm too high... I might have to purchase low profile DDR RAM to solve this one. But i do not want to purchase more stuff... so i am looking at other solutions...

There are alot of space left in the case so i will put a fan and air-guides of plastic somewhere that i can control the speed of to make it more silent.

A thing to solve is how to actually mount the stuff in the case... i am looking at a combination of nuts/bolts and those "molten plastic glue gun things"

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:14 am

BeardSwitcher wrote:Current status:A thing to solve is how to actually mount the stuff in the case... i am looking at a combination of nuts/bolts and those "molten plastic glue gun things"

Hotglue might not be the best solution. Easy to use, but it doesn't adhere well to the ST case. Epoxy would probably give a better result.

I'm looking forward to the final product :-) I will probably use my dead STE to case the FireBee when it arrives.
Jo Even

AxelG
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby AxelG » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:02 am

I used hotglue to fix a few things, it's not really doing any good. ;)

My suggestion would be simple plastic glue, as long as you don't need to fill things. In that case I'd go with Joska's recomendation.

I almost completely avaoided to cut anything out. I've placed a small USB-hub to the left side, because the netbook's usb ports are unreachable. But that's enough. The complete rest will be done wirelessly ;) (mouse, cds, dvds, ISOs, storage)

VGA goes out of the ST Monitor hole just right, On/Off and Reset just stay there. The rest of the original cutouts will be filled with faked connectors to look as original a possible.

The only sad ponit is the not original cutout for the not original floppy to the right side. I don't have an origininal floppy front cover to spare, yet. So I don't really know what to to with it right now.

Other than that, I hope I'll be able to work a bit on it this afternoon.

Good luck!
AxelG

BeardSwitcher
Atari User
Atari User

Postby BeardSwitcher » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:37 am

AxelG wrote:The only sad ponit is the not original cutout for the not original floppy to the right side. I don't have an origininal floppy front cover to spare, yet. So I don't really know what to to with it right now.

You seem to be really hardcore AxelG... :D keeping everything as stock...
My plan is to plug the Floppy 'hole' with a 4 Port USB 2.0 hub :) I can do this with only minor adjustments...
(stip it down and remove all plastic. hijack a 5V powersource from the PC and solder it together... it worked)

I have no problems cutting and grinding in the bottom of the case, but the top part do i really like to keep as original as possible...

I really want to move all wires and connectors to the back of the case to make it look good. I have to make an effort with the powersource... (anglegrinder and welding will surely help ;) )...

AxelG
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby AxelG » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:18 pm

Hi BeardSwitcher,

well, I don't aim to be more popal than the pope (as they say here). But I try to be a bit clever to make it look original.
Without too many hassels, actually ;)

The faked connectors could be taken from the original ST mainbord, but *that'd* be overkill in my eyes. Robson actually did this on one port, if I remember correct.

But I'll just use my small color laser, a small cam to produce some good looking replicas. They'll be stabaized with plastic boards and protected with mat, transparent foil.
While beeing glued in place with just the right amount of hot glue, they've could be removed if required, later.

Again, I don't aim to spend weeks on this. Just to take the right shortcuts. So no problem with cutting away interior pieces or drill holes in sensible places. There's just no way around that. But to - visually - mod the case, no ;)

Still no idea for the floppy desaster, though ;)

Hope, we can make it work, now ;)

Take care,
AxelG
*my fav beer is "Erdinger Weissbier" and "Paulaner Münchner Hell"*

Edit: Now this is a funny keyboard of your's. 8O I'd say it's scandinavian, right? And since you casually drink beer, it's not Sweden, nor Norway.
Denmark??? :?: :? :D
Last edited by AxelG on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AxelG
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby AxelG » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:57 pm

joska wrote:
How to debug:

ST-keyboard: Toggle digital pin 13 every time a byte is received on the serial port. This should cause the LED to blink whenever a key is pressed.

PS/2-connection: Dump a sequence of scancodes to the PS/2 port and see if anything happens on the PC ;)

Hi Joska,

since I don't know C, Wired or your program structure in the first place, could you please provide the two debug functionalities above in an entire .pde ?
That'd be an immense help ;)

Thank you so much,
AxelG

Edit: Tested the keyboard in an original ST. It works.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:38 pm

AxelG wrote:since I don't know C, Wired or your program structure in the first place, could you please provide the two debug functionalities above in an entire .pde ?
That'd be an immense help ;)

Sure, but you have to wait a day or two. I'm currently at hospital, recovering from some minor knee surgery.
Jo Even

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:44 pm

AxelG wrote:Still no idea for the floppy desaster, though ;)

I would strongly advice against cutting the case. Remove the facia on your floppy instead, and look for a suitable Atari floppy on eBay.

AxelG wrote:Edit: Now this is a funny keyboard of your's. 8O I'd say it's scandinavian, right? And since you casually drink beer, it's not Sweden, nor Norway.

That's a Swedish keyboard. They drink beer in Sweden too, even though their beer is poo ;)
Jo Even

AxelG
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby AxelG » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:50 pm

joska wrote:
AxelG wrote:Still no idea for the floppy desaster, though ;)

I would strongly advice against cutting the case. Remove the facia on your floppy instead, and look for a suitable Atari floppy on eBay.

Hi Joska,

I really hope your recovery goes well and you'll be back *very* quick! ;)
Unfortunately the cutting already took place. Someone cut out a rectangular hole for a 3rd party floppy, thus ruining the case.
I'd had to come up with an optical pleasing solution, but couldn't, yet. :oops:

AxelG wrote:Edit: Now this is a funny keyboard of your's. 8O I'd say it's scandinavian, right? And since you casually drink beer, it's not Sweden, nor Norway.

joska wrote:That's a Swedish keyboard. They drink beer in Sweden too, even though their beer is poo ;)

Now this is funny. I thought all alcoholic bevereges are at a premium in Sweden and Norway. Don't really know about Finland, though.

(One day, I'd like to go to Sweden and Norway. I'd like to see Kopenhagen and Oslo, take a ride on the Hurtig Linie, whorship the polar sun during a Sankthansaften...)

OK, back to work.
Thanks for the debug code in Advance, Joska.

I'll go through every single connection, again.
Cheers,
AxelG

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”