ST to VGA - Success :)

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

ST to VGA - Success :)

Postby spiny » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:35 pm

Just had delivery of my 'Supera Color HD' vga box of tricks from somewhere in China.
Set it up and it works :)

some pics, info follows:

front:

back:

med res:

low res:

info:

it's basically a tv tuner with various inputs that outputs to vga/svga/xvga

I'm running it on composite, so it's a bit flickery, but it does mean I can have my spare pc and atari connected at the same time, which means I can get rid of my tv, which frees up desk space :)

all set up:

it has svideo input as well as YPaPr, is it possible to output either of those from the monitor port ? can I make a st>scart and then somehow > to svideo it ?

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: ST to VGA - Success :)

Postby Shredder11 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:50 pm

Wow that looks great and I was seriously deliberating on whether to buy one a few months ago, but I chickened out and got a Gamars V-Box instead! I'm interested to know if your HP L1750 monitor is able to display the ST Hi-res monochrome mode? If it can, is that with or without the aid of the Supera Color HD box?

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:06 pm

Shredder11 wrote:Wow that looks great and I was seriously deliberating on whether to buy one a few months ago, but I chickened out and got a Gamars V-Box instead! I'm interested to know if your HP L1750 monitor is able to display the ST Hi-res monochrome mode? If it can, is that with or without the aid of the Supera Color HD box?

i don't have the specs to hand, but the range is about 62hz upwards I think, I'll check

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:08 pm

its lower than that :)

Frequency Range
Horizontal: 24 - 83 kHz, Vertical: 50 - 77 Hz

I guess if I had the right cable it would work ?

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:02 pm

can I get a ST to scart cable, then add scart to svideo:

http://pinouts.ru/VideoCables/scart_svhs_pinout.shtml

or would that just make a crappy signal ?

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:07 pm

How about these which you can get from CPC.co.uk

The coupler costs about 96p and the SCART <-> S-Video/Composite + Audio is just over £1 or so. Then all you need is a few standard cables that everyone normally has around.

ImageImage

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:11 pm

Shredder11 wrote:How about these which you can get from CPC.co.uk

The coupler costs about 96p and the SCART <-> S-Video/Composite + Audio is just over £1 or so. Then all you need is a few standard cables that everyone normally has around.

ImageImage

cool :) I have the bits needed to make the ST > scart cable, so I'll give that a go too, just to brush up on my soldering skills :)

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:10 pm

This is rather good, thanks for posting. Now as you all know I am not the brightest candle on the cake, but did you answer Mr Shred's question about hi-res (because I can't see the answer?) Can't you just flip the ST into hi-res? It would be wonderful if it did all three modes. I have my STe permanently set up now and low-res colour is all I am lacking....

BoNuS
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby BoNuS » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:13 pm

Okay, to get it for me clear then, you have an STFM (or STE) and now the antenna output is connected to the box which converts
it into an vga signal ??? So it wouldn't work with an STF an I correct or...

Looks very nice indeed...
http://bonus.home.xs4all.nl/
2 x Falcon 030 - a mint Atari TT - Mega STE - 2x STE - 1x Mega 2 - 2x STFM - 1 x STF - 3x SC1224 - 2x SM124 - 1x SM125 2x Portofolio+interface
- 3x 1435 monitor - 1 x Ult.Ripper cardridge - Mega 1,2,and 4 ( just to much Atari stuff)

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:26 pm

BoNuS wrote:Okay, to get it for me clear then, you have an STFM (or STE) and now the antenna output is connected to the box which converts
it into an vga signal ??? So it wouldn't work with an STF an I correct or...

Looks very nice indeed...

correct. I am using the RF out on the ST to connect to the box, which outputs VGA to the flatscreen :)

the obvious drawback with this is that the quality of the image is the same as a television at the moment.

the box has inputs for component video and svideo, and according to the replies up there ^ I should be able to use the ST monitor port to output SCART then with an adapter, convert that to svideo and then have a nice crisp image :)

however, I am tempted to give pperas how-to on modufying the st to have an svideo socket, which would be neat (and use one less cable :) )

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:30 pm

rocket-dog wrote:This is rather good, thanks for posting. Now as you all know I am not the brightest candle on the cake, but did you answer Mr Shred's question about hi-res (because I can't see the answer?) Can't you just flip the ST into hi-res? It would be wonderful if it did all three modes. I have my STe permanently set up now and low-res colour is all I am lacking....

I answered it, kind of :)

I can't use hi res as I'm still using the TV out on the ST, not the monitor port, but hi res on the ST is in the range of 30hz horizontal, which the monitor i have supports, so if i made the right lead, it would work without me needing the 'magic box' that I have now.

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:08 pm

Thanks! Did I forget that you can't do hi-res through RF out then? Sorry. :oops:

But SCART via monitor will give me all three modes?

I already have an ST-VGA lead for hi-res. But low res colour would be wonderful. When I bought my ST it was for uni' I hardly played any games (if at all.) Now I have rediscovered the ST I have become addicted, sorry, partial to playing games.

Thanks again. I hope I didn't come over as being rude. I just couldn't think how to phrase what I wanted to say.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:04 pm

rocket-dog wrote:Thanks! Did I forget that you can't do hi-res through RF out then? Sorry. :oops:

But SCART via monitor will give me all three modes?

I already have an ST-VGA lead for hi-res. But low res colour would be wonderful. When I bought my ST it was for uni' I hardly played any games (if at all.) Now I have rediscovered the ST I have become addicted, sorry, partial to playing games.

Thanks again. I hope I didn't come over as being rude. I just couldn't think how to phrase what I wanted to say.

a scart lead will give you low and medium if you get a box like I did, in theory :) it looks like its possible, but it's a bit late for me to fire up the soldering iron, so i can't be 100% just yet :) The problem with modern monitors is that the range doesn't go 'low' enough to support ST low or medium res, thats why I bough the convertor box I have now.

your post made perfect sense to me, don't worry :)

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:18 pm

This is all very interesting because the HP TFT LCD monitor that you have seems capable of displaying every graphics mode of the ST, along with a suitable convertor box. Also the HP is reasonably cheap too at around the £100 mark and 17" is large enough for the ST I think, plus it has a 4:3 ratio which is perfect.

One last thing...I wonder what these various video convertor boxes can achieve regarding the ST's colour modes and the low frequencies etc. My CTX 19" monitor along with my Gamars V-Box cannot manage a proper colour display, but perhaps this Supera Color HD can help my CTX display the ST's colour modes? Does anyone know if using a different convertor box makes any difference?

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:32 pm

Shredder11 wrote:This is all very interesting because the HP TFT LCD monitor that you have seems capable of displaying every graphics mode of the ST, along with a suitable convertor box. Also the HP is reasonably cheap too at around the £100 mark and 17" is large enough for the ST I think, plus it has a 4:3 ratio which is perfect.

One last thing...I wonder what these various video convertor boxes can achieve regarding the ST's colour modes and the low frequencies etc. My CTX 19" monitor along with my Gamars V-Box cannot manage a proper colour display, but perhaps this Supera Color HD can help my CTX display the ST's colour modes? Does anyone know if using a different convertor box makes any difference?

the box cost me £39 all in. I got the monitor for free :)

I've been playing with the inputs and it would seem that anything you throw at it gets converted to VGA and thats that :) If I get time, i'll take it (and an atari) to work and try out the various different monitors I have kicking about to see if the monitor itself makes a difference.

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:53 pm

Thanks Spiny that would be very helpful. :cheers:

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:08 am

spiny, can you check some fullscreen screen? That's where such devices seem to fail on the ST.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:56 am

christos wrote:spiny, can you check some fullscreen screen? That's where such devices seem to fail on the ST.

what do you need me to check ? the sundown screenshot I posted earlier shows both left and right borders 'in action'.
I'll fire up ULM's dark side of the spoon later and compare it to steem.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:19 am

ImageImage

ordered :) will take photos as I go along :)

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:44 am

Nice one and I look forward to the photos, including one of the STs hi-res mono mode on your HP monitor please. I'm thinking of getting one before all the 4:3 ratio screens disappear completely.

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:17 pm

My Dell 19" monitor works in hi-res superbly with all my ST's. For this to work for me I would need a lead from ST to a VGA switch box (which I already have but I don't know which wires are dead, a question for Ali...) then from the switch one route via this Chinese box for low/med res, the other router to carry hight res, both routes terminating in a another VGA switch and then onto the Dell. Oh my gosh!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: But it would be lovely.........

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:38 pm

ImageImage

hmmm, got my atari > scart lead today and chained it all together with the couplers above but all I'm seeing on screen is a very very dark image :/

I tried both svideo and composite, both the same. looks like I may have to mod the actual st to get decent svideo output.

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Oh dear! :cry:

EDIT: Have you altered the photo's in the OP? If so thanks! If not forgive me; the only mitigation I can offer the court is that this my first week back at uni' and these early 09:00am starts are a killer......

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:02 pm

rocket-dog wrote:Oh dear! :cry:

EDIT: Have you altered the photo's in the OP? If so thanks! If not forgive me; the only mitigation I can offer the court is that this my first week back at uni' and these early 09:00am starts are a killer......

I havn't added anything yet - I need to make a hi-res cable, then take some pics of that, but I need a new soldering iron first :)

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:19 pm

spiny wrote:

ImageImage

hmmm, got my atari > scart lead today and chained it all together with the couplers above but all I'm seeing on screen is a very very dark image :/

I tried both svideo and composite, both the same. looks like I may have to mod the actual st to get decent svideo output.

more hmmmm... seems like the scart lead i bought of ebay is duff :/ I get the same very feint screen on my tele too, using two different STs.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”