IDEal Hard Disk Interface......Tell me all about it please!

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

IDEal Hard Disk Interface......Tell me all about it please!

Postby Shredder11 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:22 pm

I've recently bought a 4160 STe with an IDEal hard disk interface already installed, plus TOS 2.06 UK. I've tried using Google to find out more about this interface but sadly nothing came up. Does anyone here know much about this interface, the specifications, capabilities, known limitations etc? I would be over the moon if it could work as a Master and Slave arrangement, preferably with a CompactFlash card as Master and a CDROM or writer as the Slave. I've got an old Plextor 8432Ti circa 2000 that I might be able to use with ExtenDOS Pro. I have read people successfully using a CompactFlash arrangement with it, but I would be very grateful for any information about attaching CDROM and writers. While browsing around the connected IBM drive, I have so far not seen the HDDRIVER software and I think it may be only using the TOS 2.06 routines to boot up the drive.

ppera

Re: IDEal Hard Disk Interface......Tell me all about it please!

Postby ppera » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:36 pm

TOS can not 'boot' hard disk itself. Some hard disk driver program is a must.

rian_ata
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rian_ata » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:43 pm

Some remarks to your post:

1) TOS 2.06 (as any other TOS version) does not have routines to boot up a harddisk without any installed seperate driver.
2) To get a CDRom drive up and running you need additional drivers, for instance SPIN.
3) If you want to run two IDE parts of an IDE interface mind the cable length! Also the Atari doesn't know Master & Slave config, so you would need to do some cable select on your config to get a reliable setup.

For an IDE driver package you should be able to use the Atari AHDI 6.0.6 package (the latest version IIRC).

ppera

Postby ppera » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:52 pm

rian_ata wrote:Some remarks to your post:

1) TOS 2.06 (as any other TOS version) does not have routines to boot up a harddisk without any installed seperate driver.
2) To get a CDRom drive up and running you need additional drivers, for instance SPIN.
3) If you want to run two IDE parts of an IDE interface mind the cable length! Also the Atari doesn't know Master & Slave config, so you would need to do some cable select on your config to get a reliable setup.

For an IDE driver package you should be able to use the Atari AHDI 6.0.6 package (the latest version IIRC).

I will add some remarks here.

TOS 2.06 as all others just reads bootsector from attached hard disks. Then executes it - that's all what TOS does. Other is on driver. In fact not 100% true in case of IDE drives : Popular drivers as AHDI and Hddriver use new XBIOS calls for IDE read from TOS 2.06 to load second stage of driver (see more here about: http://www.ppest.org/atari/astams.php , bottom ).

Master/Slave can work without Cable Select on Atari (as usual one drive set to Master, other as Slave), and it is not on Atari but again on driver(s). Tested, checked many times...

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:23 pm

I've had this IDE interface for about six weeks now and was informed by the person I bought it from, that it was the TUS IDEal model. After finally finding a little more info on the web, most of the photos or info are beginning to make me wonder if mine really is the TUS IDEal. As far as I now know, the IDEal came in two forms, one with integrated TOS 2.06 ROMs and the other with a clock (RTC?) which mine does not have as the time always needs setting. Also my TOS 2.06 ROMs are installed in the usual sockets on the motherboard. Can anyone here recognise my IDE interface from the photos I have included below?

Thank you :)

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:07 pm

Shredder11 wrote:[size=150]I've had this IDE interface for about six weeks now and was informed by the person I bought it from, that it was the TUS IDEal model. After finally finding a little more info on the web, most of the photos or info are beginning to make me wonder if mine really is the TUS IDEal. As far as I now know, the IDEal came in two forms, one with integrated TOS 2.06 ROMs and the other with a clock (RTC?) which mine does not have as the time always needs setting. Also my TOS 2.06 ROMs are installed in the usual sockets on the motherboard. Can anyone here recognise my IDE interface from the photos I have included below?

I can't confirm that this is an IDEal interface, as I've never seen one i real life. However, I know that the STE-version of the IDEal did not have ROM-sockets/eproms, instead the original 1.6x ROMs on the motherboard are replaced.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:48 pm

Yeah I suppose the STe version would have been cheaper and easier to make without the ROMs on the interface, due to the ease of sticking them in the existing motherboard sockets. Assuming for a moment that mine is a IDEal interface v2.01 and hence newer than the one mentioned in this German WiKi article:

http://uk.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwiki.newtosworld.de%2FIDEAL-Adapter&lp=de_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

It does look a lot different but then again one of the photos shows MEGA ST printed on the motherboard.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”