Reasonable media size for ST and/or STE?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Reasonable media size for ST and/or STE?

Postby Jookie » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:28 pm

Hello guys,

this might be a stupid questions, but I'll ask it anyway :)

TOS can handle only 14 partitions, the 1st (boot) partition should be GEM type of size 16MB (to make it work with TOS1.02), and:
- TOS1.00 - 1.02 can handle partitions with size max. 256 MB, so 13 x 256 MB = 3.25 GB
- TOS1.04 - 3.0x can handle partitions with size max. 512 MB, so 13 x 512 MB = 6.5 GB

So according to this it seems, that for TOS 1.00 and TOS 1.02 the maximum reasonable media size is 4 GB, and for TOS 1.04 and above the maximum reasonable media size is 8 BG?

Bigger media capacity can be only accessed only from MagiC, MiNT and from TOS with BIGDOS, right? :)

Because I've just created 13 x 256MB partitions and I got 'Out of memory' messages from HDDRUTIL... So if somebody wants to use many big partitions, he would need to upgrade memory and TOS... Or with the old configuration (TOS and memory) he should be happy with the part of the big media he can access...

Jookie

ppera

Re: Reasonable media size for ST and/or STE?

Postby ppera » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:47 pm

It was discussed here couple times.

Actually, you can have max. 24 partitions under TOS (C-Z). Only that fileselector (at TOS 1.04) supports up to 'P' . But it is possible to retype drive letter in fileselector.

TOS 1.00 has lot of troubles with hard disks. 1.02 still some. Better is to upgrade TOS to at least 1.04 if work with hard disks, as some pointed already - there are shances for data loss, corruption under 1.04.

So, what I suggest is to use at least TOS 1.04. Then we can have over 10GB . But even 4GB is far enough for all valuable Atari ST(E), Falcon SW. So, best is to get some Flash card of 1-4 GB.

True that we need other OS for large drives.However, there may be some workarounds: for instance having disk divided to multiple sections, each section could have max 14 partitions, and we can select before boot what section to make active.
With that trick may have several hounderts of partitions on single drive/media. I was it in plans, but for now it is postponed.
I think that this moment we have reasonable prices for Flash cards in range to 4GB, and same stays for used SCSI or IDE drives.

What version of Hddriver? I got such message under TOS 2.06 with V 8.20 . But after it, machine booted well.
In any case, as said - minimum TOS 1.04 .

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:54 pm

Thank you for your reply :) .

ppera wrote:What version of Hddriver? I got such message under TOS 2.06 with V 8.20 . But after it, machine booted well.
In any case, as said - minimum TOS 1.04 .

I got STFM with 1MB RAM and TOS 1.02, and I also have STE with 4 MB RAM and TOS 2.06 CS. The 'Out of memory' message was on my STFM which I use for the development (lower cost of loss when something goes wrong).

Jookie

Awol
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Awol » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:43 pm

Jookie wrote:TOS can handle only 14 partitions, the 1st (boot) partition should be GEM type of size 16MB (to make it work with TOS1.02), and:
- TOS1.00 - 1.02 can handle partitions with size max. 256 MB, so 13 x 256 MB = 3.25 GB
- TOS1.04 - 3.0x can handle partitions with size max. 512 MB, so 13 x 512 MB = 6.5 GB

So according to this it seems, that for TOS 1.00 and TOS 1.02 the maximum reasonable media size is 4 GB, and for TOS 1.04 and above the maximum reasonable media size is 8 BG?

So if you use an 8GB card with TOS 2.06, you will only be able to actually use 6.5 GB? Is that right?
1040STE: 4MB RAM, TOS 2.06
Formerly Grey_and_Purple.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:48 pm

Yes, it looks like that.

But: you could probably create more partitions (I think it was 24) but only the first 14 will have the appropriate buttons with letters in file selector dialogs (but they will be accessible if you write there the partition letter manualy) - as far as I remember.

And you could also use some other operating system on Atari (like MagiC or Mint) which have less limits in these ways.

Awol

Postby Awol » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:06 am

Ok thanks! I think I will get an 8GB card because they are not much more expensive than 4GB nowadays.
1040STE: 4MB RAM, TOS 2.06
Formerly Grey_and_Purple.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”