Questions about a 4MB Atari 1040STE

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

morcar
Atari User
Atari User

Questions about a 4MB Atari 1040STE

Postby morcar » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:47 am

Just wanted to know how incompatible would an Atari 1040STE with 4MB be with the games that are out.

I am asking as I have the same machine, but some of the games will not run for love or money and it could be down to the amount of memory. If this is the case could I take the memory out to drop it to just a normal 1MB STE as I don't intend to use it for anything serious only games. I know some older ST games wont run on the STE but does the memory play a big part in it.

Also how can I find out about the TOS version as I have no clue on what version it is. This also plays a part in working games so I have been told.

Any answers to these questions would be great full.

Thanks

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Questions about a 4MB Atari 1040STE

Postby unseenmenace » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:52 am

As far as I know theres not that many games that fail with 4MB but there are a few and combined with STE incompatibilities it would add up. That said there's an AUTO folder program that fools te system into thinking the ST has less memory to avoid that problem. I'm not sure where to get it myself but I'm sure someone here will have it.
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

ppera

Postby ppera » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:54 am

If something works not with 4, 2 or even 1MB - means in 99% cases bad programming, and is 99% made by crackers, packers.

There is a small util which disables part of RAM, so machine will act as 512 or 1MB one, without any part removal (not to mention that you can make 4MB machine only to 2MB with chips inside).
Not sure that will work with STE.. must check it...
For TOS version check (and many other) use SYSINFO (use search, and will find it here) .

Klapauzius
The Klaz
The Klaz

Postby Klapauzius » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:27 am

Games not working with 4MB RAM is mostly due to the game's code writing to addresses that lie behind the screen. If the screen address is at default position (i.e. below phys_top), this may cause a crash on 4MB machines as 4MB+ addresses are not valid on ST/E. Mostly caused by sloppy coding, like ppera said, but from my experience often caused by the original code and not by the crackers. ;-)

I'd say about 5% of all games suffer from this problem - just a rough guess...

When I got my 4MB expansion for my 1040STF (aeons ago), I wrote a simple little proggy to set the screen to a lower address which cured most erratic games. Will see if I still have it and post it here... :-)
http://www.klapauzius.net
http://dbug.kicks-ass.net/klaz

The tears are welling in my eyes again, I need twenty big buckets to catch them in, twenty pretty girls to carry them down, twenty deep holes to bury them in.

ppera

Postby ppera » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:32 am

Util, what I mentioned works by writing in MMU control register, so will make machine 100% 512K or 1MB. Though, I never tested on STE - I play only 'decent' games :D

ppera

Postby ppera » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:01 pm

Here is 2 small proggy - 1 for making 512K, other for making 1MB machine. Works on STE too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tjlazer
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby tjlazer » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:45 am

keep the 4mb and get a TOS 1.0 boot disk to reTOS machine to 1.0 for older stubborn games. This will be fine. And as mentioned you can use utils to reduce the memory.
Atari Computer Collector since 1984

From the 8-bit Atari 400 to the 32-bit Atari TT030!

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”