Eiffel versions and current availability

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Eiffel versions and current availability

Postby Fujiyama » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:49 pm

I'm interested in getting my hands on an Eiffel: either ready made, or to build myself (I currently don't have the gear needed for etching my own PCBs, so a professionally made PCB and a pre-programmed firmware chip will do fine).

1) does anyone currently supply an Eiffel (or the PCB and pre-programed firmware IC)?

2) I've been trying to get hold of more complete information than just the schematic and usual stuff available at Didier Méquignon's site and so far have the PCB layout files (in Scooter format) from Lyndon Amsdon and also found Eagle schematic/PCB layout files by going to a thread named "Pics of Eiffel adapter? need PCB layout.".

I haven't had a look at this stuff for a while, and haven't checked out the Eagle files I just found, but there appears to be several different versions of the Eiffel. Not just the software, but the actual hardware design as well. Is this correct, and if so, what are the differences, and which one should I go for to get the best version?

Why did people stop selling Eiffel boards in the first place?
From what I read, there's still demand for it.

Heavy Stylus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Heavy Stylus » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:31 pm

I know someone who wants one as well... :wink:
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
The Essential Discmag for Retro Gamers!

http://www.myspace.com/heavystylus
Usual myspace crap.

http://tinyurl.com/heavystylus
Facebook

matashen
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby matashen » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:26 pm

Tuxie at the German Forum http://www.atari-home.de produce a batch of eifel the next time.

http://forum.atari-home.de/index.php?topic=4339.0

At the moment the PCB is in redesign.

Greatings Matthias

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:37 am

Interesting!
Looks like this person put in an awful lot of work in redesigning it. My only "complaint" (I'm nitpickin' here) is that I wish both joystick connectors would be placed next to each other. Looks neater that way.

Unfortunately my German isn't that good, but it seems like you say that they're trying to figure out some stuff before releasing a new version of the Eiffel.
No mention of the cost and when it's estimated to be ready though, as far as I could tell. Anyone know any more?
I assume English isn't acceptable in that forum..

matashen
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby matashen » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:16 pm

Unfortunately my German isn't that good

My English is not so good but i will inform you when you can Order...

Greatings Mat

harveymush
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby harveymush » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:56 pm

Hi Guys

Try over at Atariage on the forums, a user called Eeun is selling them I ordered one last week and Ian has confirmed it was posted today, so I should have it soon.

Rob

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:47 pm

matashen wrote:My English is not so good but i will inform you when you can Order...

Don't worry about your English- it's fine :D
Have there been any discussions about the cost of this board? Also, can the buyer choose between having it with or without the LCD board?

The LCD board looks pretty cool, but at the moment I'm not sure if it's useful for me or not. Besides telling the time and temperature, and the song playing in Aniplayer, are there any other uses for it?
Oh another thing: is it possible to attach several temperature sensors to an Eiffel? It might be useful to place temperature sensors many places inside an ST (and especially a recased one), so that the fan starts if just one of the sensors exceed a specific temperature.

eeun
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby eeun » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:46 pm

The chip itself could support more sensors by sacrificing other existing connectors, but currently both the schematic / PCB design as well as the hex program for the pic only support one thermal sensor.

I thought the LCD was neat, but didn't see enough potential to follow through an attempt at designing a board to attach it to Eiffel.

matashen, those Eiffels you linked to are gorgeous.

I still have two built Eiffels for sale, and parts for another three if anyone's interested. You can send me a PM, or off-list at iraymond -at- mailworks.org.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:20 pm

Matashen: have you heard anything more from the guy behind the Eiffel 3? There seems to be nothing new in the thread over at Atari-home.de, but that doesn't mean no progress has been made.

What's left to do? The photos seem to show a finished version to me.

Shockwav3
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Shockwav3 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:04 pm

I've just posted asking tuxie what's the status on the Eiffel.
Out of interest, what do you guys think about connecting the joystick ports via ribbon cables, as shown in eeun's picture? In my eyes that option would be way better, as it would allow you to use the original Atari ST cases and/or relocate the ports in towers, "unjamming" the back a bit.

Can I haz hardware?

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:25 pm

Shockwav3 wrote:I've just posted asking tuxie what's the status on the Eiffel.
Out of interest, what do you guys think about connecting the joystick ports via ribbon cables, as shown in eeun's picture? In my eyes that option would be way better, as it would allow you to use the original Atari ST cases and/or relocate the ports in towers, "unjamming" the back a bit.

It's good for towers, but clearly your imagination isn't that good when it comes to original cases. Mine wasn't either.

Shockwav3
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Shockwav3 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:29 pm

christos wrote:
Shockwav3 wrote:I've just posted asking tuxie what's the status on the Eiffel.

It's good for towers, but clearly your imagination isn't that good when it comes to original cases. Mine wasn't either.
Hm, why not? Using the ribbon cables you could put the joystick connectors into the original place and put the ps/2 board whereever you like. Looking at the pictures posted on atari-home, such a board definitely wouldn't fit into the original place of the case. Considering a majority of said interfaces will probably end up in towers, I think the ribbon cable option definitely would make sense.

Can I haz hardware?

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:53 pm

Like I said, it' s a great idea for towers but it's a fact that if you want to keep the original case it will end up looking horrific.

Shockwav3
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Shockwav3 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:09 am

Hm, I don't see why. Just put the joystick connector in the original place and the PS/2 connectors somewhere near the floppy. Indeed not very beautiful, but serves the usability and doesn't kill the whole design of the case.

Can I haz hardware?

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:32 pm

I can see advantages and disadvantages with both methods, depending on what kind of recasing you'll be doing.

For me, as I'll be using the Eiffel in a rack-mounted STe I will want to have access to the keyboard and mouse connectors on the front-panel.
I suppose, if they don't take up too much space that front-panel placement of them will be good as well.
But what's up with two joystick connectors? As far as I can recall there's only one joystick connector on a standard ST/STe, which is placed under the keyboard. The other one being for the mouse.
And there are two additional "digital joystick" ports on the left hand side of the STe.
I haven't really used my STe that much for games, so excuse my ignorance.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:37 pm

You can also plug a joystick into the mouse port on the ST for 2 player games.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Shockwav3
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Shockwav3 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:25 pm

So ... the current status is, that the PCB still needs some smaller redesigns, so the actual joystick ports and the LCD controls fit on one board (lowering the production costs). Once that's done, tuxie will get some PCBs etched.

Can I haz hardware?

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:39 pm

In other words, there will be one board which has the PS/2 mouse and keyboard connectors, then a second and optional board which will contain the two mouse connectors and the LCD?
What about those who want joystick ports but not the LCD?

Is all the electronics for the joystick ports on the main board, so that the joystick connectors could be connected directly to the main board?
Perhaps even an optional "joystick only" board could be made, which would probably be a lot cheaper than having to buy the LCD/joystick board.

Oh, I noticed that the author uploaded a couple of PCB and schematic files in some obscure format. I tried to download the program and read the files, but couldn't. Do you know if there are any plans to make Eagle files for the schematics/PCBs available, in case this is a non-profit type project? Or is it a business project where the author will only be selling completed boards and not share the files if people want to etch their own?

Shockwav3
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Shockwav3 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:14 pm

No.
There will be 1 single board, holding everything except the LCD display (since it's a standard part). So you'll get the ps/2 ports, joy ports, lcd controls on one board.

About etching them yourself, I'm sure the author will make the project files available for the public once it's finished. Just keep in mind that a single made PCB might be quite expensive. About the format, I bet there are lots of converters around.

If that's still not enough for you, you can design a PCB yourself -> http://pagesperso-orange.fr/didierm/gif/eiffel.gif

Can I haz hardware?

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:29 pm

Sounds good! Yes, making a single PCB with that sort of quality will be quite expensive. I would have to etch it myself to make it cheap, but then again double-sided PCBs are hard to do on your own.
Looking forward to the author's progress and hoping the final cost won't be too alarming :wink:

Dal_1978: you're quite right. The computer has two connectors underneath its keyboard. On my STe it's labelled as:
- Joystick 0/mouse
- Joystick 1

Since the Eiffel has both of those ports I suppose an Atari mouse can be used with it as well.

In addition there are two extra joystick ports on the left side of my STe marked:
- A
- B

I believe these are the "enhanced" joystick ports which aren't even present on my MegaSTe.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:25 pm

Fujiyama wrote:Sounds good! Yes, making a single PCB with that sort of quality will be quite expensive. I would have to etch it myself to make it cheap, but then again double-sided PCBs are hard to do on your own.
Looking forward to the author's progress and hoping the final cost won't be too alarming :wink:

Dal_1978: you're quite right. The computer has two connectors underneath its keyboard. On my STe it's labelled as:
- Joystick 0/mouse
- Joystick 1

Since the Eiffel has both of those ports I suppose an Atari mouse can be used with it as well.

In addition there are two extra joystick ports on the left side of my STe marked:
- A
- B

I believe these are the "enhanced" joystick ports which aren't even present on my MegaSTe.

The 15-pin sockets on the left of the STe are indeed enhanced controller inputs. Not many games utilised them to my knowledge, but they can be used for analogue joysticks or the Jaguar Gamepad.

Interestingly most Falcon games use these ports by default - or at least the ones I've tried.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:24 pm

Yeah, they don't seem to have much use.
However, those interested might be able to find something useful in the Atari enhanced joystick ports FAQ.

Atari Generation One
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Eiffel versions and current availability

Postby Atari Generation One » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:46 am

Still offering few version of Eiffel if somebody like. With LCD as well.

Internal with JOY ports on PCB or ribbon cables, or external (cased) with or without JOY PORTS.

For example:

Extyernal RIbbon JOYSTICK version

External CASED (MEGA ST/E/TT VERSION)

EXTERNAL JOYSTICK PORTS version

patjomki
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby patjomki » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:04 pm

Atari Generation One wrote:Still offering few version of Eiffel if somebody like. With LCD as well.

Internal with JOY ports on PCB or ribbon cables, or external (cased) with or without JOY PORTS.

So instead of trying to rip other people off you should better send me mine that I have already paid for more than half a year ago! Yellow_Colorz_PDT_46

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:42 pm

Yes, and me !

Ripped me off for two Eiffels.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”