can you tell me if this was a good buy for $235.00 i bought

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

ataro
Atarian
Atarian

can you tell me if this was a good buy for $235.00 i bought

Postby ataro » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:50 pm

ppera

Postby ppera » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:29 pm

270MB for 235 dollars?
Are you joking around?

I mean: worth of drive: near to zero
worth of adapter: it sales for some 100 Euros usually. Overpriced by me.

In any case: calculate yourself.

Btw. there is lower price for kit. 8O

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:05 pm

It would be worth it if you got it for $100 dollars less maybe. You should research these things before you buy.

However, if you really wanted a working HD for ST with everything included, you saved yourself the hassle of searching for all that stuff seperately.

cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby cb » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:24 pm

I read it's only 157.36 US dollars?
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:30 pm

cb wrote:I read it's only 157.36 US dollars?

I'm guessing the rest is postage to the US from the UK.... even so it's still a little OTT
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

eeun
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby eeun » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:30 pm

cb wrote:I read it's only 157.36 US dollars?

Yup.

That's middle of the road, from what I've seen of the ICD interfaces on ebay. There was a bare ICD board going for about $150 recently, for some comparison.

Not a great deal, but not a bad one either. Now...start stocking up on old scsi drives while they can still be found. :wink:

ataro
Atarian
Atarian

thank you

Postby ataro » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:45 pm

what happened was the guy never told me the price for shipping and it was 50 euros and 65 for the drive. i just got sick of finding no solution since the satandisk was not gonna be made anymore. i figured the cable and the drive and the software if bought separately it would cost the same. and this drive looked good and clean in appearance. but you guys are right. a bit too expensive. thank you all

ataro
Atarian
Atarian

hardrive

Postby ataro » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:57 pm

can you tell me or point me to a good drive for it please!

Zenichiro
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Zenichiro » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:09 pm

If you haven't already payed, ask if he can just send the link, it should cost a fraction in postage and it's the valuable part. I am sure you can pick up an enclosement and drive really cheaply locally.

Postage costs will usually wipe out any savings on an item bought transatlantically except for the lightest and smallest of things.

ppera

Postby ppera » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:24 pm

In my place (250000 souls) I can find some usable (and used of course) SCSI drives any time.

Yesterday I looked in second hand shop (one of 3 where may find SCSI) - There was some 10 SCSI drive, mostly IBM 2 - 4.5GB . Bigger costs some 10 Euros. IBM is good choice, since no need for parity generator on adapter.
Drives are 3.5 inch, what means that you need extra power supply - except in case of Mega STE, which has enough power (tested with 4 different drives).

With some luck may buy much bigger capacity under 20 Euros. Question is only: with what to fill 18GB ?

ppera

Re: hardrive

Postby ppera » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:33 pm

ataro wrote:can you tell me or point me to a good drive for it please!

It is not clear ecactly which ICD is that. Older versions can access only 1GB drives. Newer ICD ones much more. Since there is not 'pro', it is likely limited to 1GB. You may go on ICD site to check what which adapter can.

In any case IBM is good choice - may disable parity if adapter supports it not, and there is a lot of them (at least in my place).

Btw. whole description of items is very shallow - grammar errors. Best is this: 'capacity of 270mb! ' :D - how much is now CF card of 256MB?

ataro
Atarian
Atarian

thanks

Postby ataro » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:23 pm

i figured the case and hd and power supply would take me a while to locate and assemble so i`ll just leave it as it is and buy either a zip or a jazz scsi drive to use with the link and call it a day

thorsten_guenther

Re: thank you

Postby thorsten_guenther » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:17 pm

ataro wrote:what happened was the guy never told me the price for shipping and it was 50 euros and 65 for the drive.

Well, you're not the first one to find out that "bubboboo" is a complete asshole. I experienced the following with him: bought an Atari game (back in times when he didn't accept PayPal), sent him 10 UK pounds by mail (for I was unable to get smaller bills than 5 UK pounds) and kindly asked him to send the overpayment (4 UK pounds) back by PayPal. He refused to and just kept the money.

Thorsten

ataro
Atarian
Atarian

yep

Postby ataro » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:54 pm

i agree with you thorsten. that guy is a crook.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:32 pm

Had a few problems with them in the past .. bought a load of stuff off him/her and when it finally turned up (after it being sent to my home address when I requested it be delivered to my work address), it had been bounced and squashed so much that some of the game boxes were ruined. It only went by courier as they don't back down on their postage until you explain that you know how much stuff costs as you have a postage price calculator handy .. it went from £44 postage (that's in the UK to another address in the UK!) down to £15.99.

So badly packaged inside - although I knew there would be some loose disks and games but at least they turned up so had to give positive feedback. However, they're now on my "to avoid" list.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”