Refurbishing a STe Skynet PSU

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

wyerd
Atari freak
Atari freak
Location: Recently moved to Upstate New York. USA. Brrrrr....it's damn cold this time of year!

Refurbishing a STe Skynet PSU

Postby wyerd » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:24 pm

Since moving to the USA a few years ago, I've been thinking about replacing the euro 220v psu in my STe with a 110v psu and recently I came across half a STe (just the case, mainboard & psu) on eBay which I eventually bought. When it arrived I was surprised to find that the psu is 110v 220v dual voltage manufactured by Skynet for Best Electronics. I've tested it and it works, but I'd like to refurbish it as I suspect that as it's over 25 years old it's not working as efficiently as it was back then. I've listed the capacitors below.

C4 200v 47 μF
C5 200v 47 μF
C7 25v 330 μF
C9 25v 100 μF
C12 25v 1000 μF
C13 16v 1000 μF
C14 16v 1000 μF

Is it just a matter of replacing these capacitors like for like, or should they be updated values and are there any other recommend components that should also be replaced. I'd appreciate any help and advice on this. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wyerd
Atari freak
Atari freak
Location: Recently moved to Upstate New York. USA. Brrrrr....it's damn cold this time of year!

Re: Refurbishing a STe Skynet PSU

Postby wyerd » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:06 pm

Anyone?

mpattonm
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby mpattonm » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:52 pm

Safe bet is to get new ones of same capacity and if possible (due to dimension concerns) of higher voltage. Pick 105C line.

wyerd
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby wyerd » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:04 pm

mpattonm wrote:Safe bet is to get new ones of same capacity and if possible (due to dimension concerns) of higher voltage. Pick 105C line.

Thanks for the advice.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:14 pm

"STe SkyNet" - Currently taking over the world in alternate universe...

dhedberg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dhedberg » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:23 pm

I can recommend the Panasonic FR series of capacitors for the LV side of the transformer and the EPCOS B43504 series for the HV side.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org

wyerd
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby wyerd » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:36 pm

dhedberg wrote:I can recommend the Panasonic FR series of capacitors for the LV side of the transformer and the EPCOS B43504 series for the HV side.

EPCOS are out of stock with my normal supplier unfortunately, but I do have Panasonic ones on my parts list which I've attached. Do they look OK to you? Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dhedberg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dhedberg » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:18 pm

Had a quick look and it looks OK. You may want to make sure you get the right lead spacing (not critical but helps) and check if the HV capacitors on the PSU are of the snap-in type.

dhedberg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dhedberg » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:20 pm

Double post. Please delete!

wyerd
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby wyerd » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:51 pm

dhedberg wrote:Had a quick look and it looks OK. You may want to make sure you get the right lead spacing (not critical but helps) and check if the HV capacitors on the PSU are of the snap-in type.

As far as I can tell, the original are snap-in, but the replacement ones I chose are not. Does it matter? Just makes soldering a bit easier as they hold themselves in place while being soldered. I usually bend the wires out slightly do accomplish the same result.

mpattonm
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby mpattonm » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:51 pm

wyerd wrote:As far as I can tell, the original are snap-in, but the replacement ones I chose are not. Does it matter?

No, it does not.

wyerd
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby wyerd » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:56 pm

mpattonm wrote:
wyerd wrote:As far as I can tell, the original are snap-in, but the replacement ones I chose are not. Does it matter?

No, it does not.

Ok. Thanks.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”