Https/SSL

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

emcclariion
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Https/SSL

Postby emcclariion » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:18 am

I have been using sting and NetUSB for some time and with new methods to get on line, like USB and modem emulation, but there is a elephant in the room.

almost all sites now are HTTPS, so that no Atari TOS system can access any web site.

can someone develop a SSL OVL TOS for CAB??? I cannot code for sh%t?

thanks
Mega STE 4MB, AlberTT and Atari STE 4MB TOS 2.06 Netusb Ultrasatan 2

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Https/SSL

Postby christos » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:32 am

I think there is ssl for cab. Highwire on the other hand doesnt support it. Lynx is also an option
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:04 am

SSL is not only a matter of writing a driver for some TCP/IP stack, the application has to support it. BTW CAB won't be of much use with modern websites anyway: no javascript, no CSS...

Only option for Atari & modern websites seems to be netsurf nowadays, but i guess that won't be much fun on a plain ST.

emcclariion

Postby emcclariion » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:13 am

where I agree, most we sites will not render right, at the moment I cannot even access them.

There is a SSL OVL for CAB, but its not for plain TOS

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mzry » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:18 am

I use this and it works well:
http://ptonthat.fr/polarssl-ldg/
"Library using the LDG system and the PolarSSL/mbedTLS library.
Brings SSL/TLS layer to clients applications using MiNTnet and STinG/STiK TCP layers"
Falcon ct63e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - SCSI2SD - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64

emcclariion

Postby emcclariion » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:28 am

Cheers, I will try it, just add it to your AUTO folder???

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:54 am

emcclariion wrote:Cheers, I will try it, just add it to your AUTO folder???

I can't see any CAB.OVL or other http-client using this.

emcclariion wrote:Mega STE 4MB, AlberTT and Atari STE 4MB TOS 2.06 Netusb Ultrasatan 2

I'm afraid there is no realistic way to get https running at a usable speed on this kind of hardware. However, you could set up a local http->https proxyserver on your PC/Mac.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:59 am

mzry wrote:I use this and it works well: http://ptonthat.fr/polarssl-ldg/

One will have to code a new cab.ovl for CAB or new net connector for Highwire to use this library or another SSL/TLS library.

There is not CPU limitation for PolarSSL.ldg. It can run on 68K 8 MHz, but SSL Handshake (start of SSL/TLS connection) may go timeout. High frequency and/or "modern" CPU is advised, with not-strong ciphersuite and low SSL/TLS version in the preferences.

See LDG system: find latest LDG.PRG version and put it in the AUTO folder, and put polarssl.ldg in c:\gemsys\ldg\ folder.

Netsurf is built with OpenSSL, but need a stong CPU.

emcclariion

Postby emcclariion » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:28 am

cheers Chaps, Its worth a go, who is going to except the challenge of a new OVL?

emcclariion

Postby emcclariion » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:22 pm

Rajah, as you are about, I am playing with Troll and I have German TOS and British keyboard, so when I need @ I just use alternate and keypad 064, this does not work with troll any suggestions?

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:34 pm

You can copy/paste from the clipboard into most edit fields in my applications. Maybe except for password fields.

Also, about the SSL/TLS layer: RAM is needed, at least 1 MB when PolarSSL is used. I think it's far more with OpenSSL. Better buy a MonSTEr for your machine, to add Alt-RAM (automaticaly used by this library, and probably by CAB and Highwire). If not enough RAM, this may work your small web pages, but only as proof of concept and not some-day life.

emcclariion

Postby emcclariion » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:13 am

Thanks Raj,

I have tried Troll with Gmail, and it give the option of SSL, but Gmail just spits out the connection very quickly

oh well it would be nice to have email lol

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:28 am

I have already said that Gmail is no more reachable due to mandatory and recently-added authentification protocol named OAuth 2.0, and I asked: if someone wants it, then ask for it and I will implement OAuth2 (with a LDG library). Nobody asked.

Please have in mind that Gmail is not classic email. Google is corrupting the mail protocol by adding its sauces and flavors.

It appears who have only ST/TT, not enhanced machines. SSL/TLS will be too slow for SSL Handshake and you may not have enough RAM.

emcclariion

Postby emcclariion » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:20 pm

NP Raj, it was worth a try with a 4mb Mega STE just seeing if it would work.

my old ntlworld.com does try and authenticate, but Gmail says"the compacter says no" :)

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:22 am

Rajah Lone wrote:I have already said that Gmail is no more reachable due to mandatory and recently-added authentification protocol named OAuth 2.0, and I asked: if someone wants it, then ask for it and I will implement OAuth2 (with a LDG library). Nobody asked.

Please have in mind that Gmail is not classic email. Google is corrupting the mail protocol by adding its sauces and flavors.

It appears who have only ST/TT, not enhanced machines. SSL/TLS will be too slow for SSL Handshake and you may not have enough RAM.

Just for the information. I just tried the latest NetSurf build on my FireBee and only HTML version of Gmail now works at usable speed. Its slow but usable! If you need Gmail on the FireBee you can use it now with NetSurf.

And ... I would like to see Troll support OAuth2 so gmail account can be used with it! :)
I really like and use your software on my FireBee Rajah! Thanks!!!

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:56 pm

vido wrote:And ... I would like to see Troll support OAuth2 so gmail account can be used with it!

Study planned for summer 2019
(roadmap: now preparing the µAchimie V Amiga Party, then in november/december work on X2 project, winter+springtime is dedicated to a 3rd trip to Việt Nam).

I hope this demand is for a every day life functionnality, not just for loosy tests.

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mzry » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:32 am

To be honest the best solution is to have a Gmail account that forwards all of its emails to a regular account that you own, then using the Atari from the regular account. This is what I do.
Falcon ct63e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - SCSI2SD - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:12 am

Rajah Lone wrote:Study planned for summer 2019
(roadmap: now preparing the µAchimie V Amiga Party, then in november/december work on X2 project, winter+springtime is dedicated to a 3rd trip to Việt Nam).

I hope this demand is for a every day life functionnality, not just for loosy tests.

OK. This sounds like a good plan. And my plan is to use the FireBee more again. My main private email address is Gmail and if it will work in Troll I will use it more. Now I use Troll for the other private mail which is full of spam and I dont use it much.
And ... I like to see you have plans for X2 project in future. I really like it, specialy as it is written in GFA basic and sources are public! Great way also for the other to learn coding in GFA introducing new versions of GFA Lonny is developing ... :)
Good luck with your projects!
Thanks!

Social Media

Return to “Applications”