Platon 2.3 English

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Platon 2.3 English

Postby mikro » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:26 pm

I'm processing some 'old debts' and found out that this software is not only not available in English but also all its public versions are German, older than 2.3 and without the parts library.

Back in the day, this kit must have costed hundreds of DMs.

It works very well even on the CT60 however there's one problem: on TOS 4.x for some unknown reason the dialogues don't refresh after starting an external tool. For instance you want to save the PCB as GEM metafile or postscript file, the file selector appears, you click save, wait... and after the save the original dialog isn't refreshed, making it very hard to find a 'quit' button. :)

There's also another (minor) issue, the menu wont appear unless you go to the top part of the screen with the mouse cursor. What doesn't sound critical but try on in XaAES and you'll see how bad it gets. ;-)

If someone manages to fix those issues (easily replicable in Hatari for instance), I can promise delivering the second half -- the actual PCBs used to route with this app. Hint: it used to be (and to some extent still is) a world-class brand for the Atari market. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Platon 2.3 English

Postby ThorstenOtto » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:53 am

mikro wrote:There's also another (minor) issue, the menu wont appear unless you go to the top part of the screen with the mouse cursor. What doesn't sound critical but try on in XaAES and you'll see how bad it gets. ;-)

In XaAES, there are much more problems than just the menubar ;)

I don't think that this can easily be fixed. Also, when a PCB is loaded, some information is displayed where the menubar used to be, i guess that's the reason why it is only displayed when you get close to it.

But there are also some serious redraw problems. in XaAES it somehow manages to mess up the whole background of my desktop, and redrawing of other windows, even if the program has already quit. Sometimes even the mouse completely disappears.

In SingleTOS, it seems to be more or less usable.

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:49 am

You are right. I didn't want to imply that fixing for XaAES is on the table -- I think the only thing worth fixing is the file selector redraw bug (which happens only in TOS 4.x; TOS 3.x works good). That prevents some serious usage (unless you memorise the position of every quit/cancel button :D).

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:23 pm

mikro wrote: I think the only thing worth fixing is the file selector redraw bug

Maybe just simply use a replacement file selector, that saves/restores its dialog background?

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:55 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:
mikro wrote: I think the only thing worth fixing is the file selector redraw bug

Maybe just simply use a replacement file selector, that saves/restores its dialog background?

Thorsten, that was one hell of an idea! Using Selectric has definitely solved it, thanks!

Social Media

Return to “Applications”