Boot manager question !

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Boot manager question !

Postby nagual » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:21 pm

Is there any boot manager which can handle PRG/APP order through autoexec.bat or similar text file - something like boot manager in MagiC PC ?
And that works on single TOS...

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Boot manager question !

Postby joska » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:28 pm

Running order of programs in the auto-folder can only be affected by re-arranging the files. Or do you mean a program that can execute programs outside of the auto-folder?
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:53 pm

No, I think order of programs in AUTO folder..

Order or programs in AUTO folder is write in some kind of regular text file - like autoexec.bat or similar.
Of course, all programs from text file must be located in AUTO folder, as text file himself.
And , when booting, programs order is reading from text file, no matter how programs are really sorted in AUTO folder.

So, this approach works fine on MagiC PC...

The reason I need something like this is simple - I don't have Atari hardware, but I need decent boot manager which can work on FAT32/NTFS (unfortunately, XBOOT don't work :-( )

Of course, when I use Aranym with disk images, XBOOT works like a charm, but, I have a lot of older apps which don't work good or don't work at all on TOS 4.04, so I use emulators with TOS 2.06 - STEmulator and TosBox, to run apps I need it.

bj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bj » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:27 pm

Geneva can do this I think.
And it can also "chain" programs to load in a given sequence one after the other - each new one opening after the previous one is closed.
A cool feature.
regards
BJ

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:40 pm

nagual wrote:Of course, all programs from text file must be located in AUTO folder, as text file himself.
And , when booting, programs order is reading from text file, no matter how programs are really sorted in AUTO folder.

This will work if you give the programs a non-executable suffix, like .prx. But I don't know of any programs that does this. Should be trivial to make though.

nagual wrote:So, this approach works fine on MagiC PC...

Because MagiC has support for this, but TOS does not.

nagual wrote:The reason I need something like this is simple - I don't have Atari hardware, but I need decent boot manager which can work on FAT32/NTFS (unfortunately, XBOOT don't work :-( )

Of course, when I use Aranym with disk images, XBOOT works like a charm, but, I have a lot of older apps which don't work good or don't work at all on TOS 4.04, so I use emulators with TOS 2.06 - STEmulator and TosBox, to run apps I need it.

So you're using an emulator, booting from the host filesystem. But the problem is still the same. TOS runs the autofolder-program in the order the filesystem returns them. In this case the host-filesystem will usually return them in alphabetical order. There is nothing you can do about that, except for using something like I outlined earlier in this post. Or boot from a disk image, that solves all such problems.

TOS was never designed for what you want to do, so when the emulator does not provide the features TOS need you'll get problems :)

Maybe EmuTOS could be extended to run auto-folder programs in the order specified in a configuration file.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:13 pm

joska wrote:
nagual wrote:Of course, all programs from text file must be located in AUTO folder, as text file himself.

This will work if you give the programs a non-executable suffix, like .prx. But I don't know of any programs that does this. Should be trivial to make though.

nagual wrote:So, this approach works fine on MagiC PC...

Because MagiC has support for this, but TOS does not.

nagual wrote:The reason I need something like this is simple - I don't have Atari hardware, but I need decent boot manager which can work on FAT32/NTFS (unfortunately, XBOOT don't work :-( )

So you're using an emulator, booting from the host filesystem. But the problem is still the same. TOS runs the autofolder-program in the order the filesystem returns them. In this case the host-filesystem will usually return them in alphabetical order. There is nothing you can do about that, except for using something like I outlined earlier in this post. Or boot from a disk image, that solves all such problems.

TOS was never designed for what you want to do, so when the emulator does not provide the features TOS need you'll get problems :)

Maybe EmuTOS could be extended to run auto-folder programs in the order specified in a configuration file.

Thank you joska very much for detailed explanation, and, of course , for your time and effort :D

I was actually afraid of such scenario :shrug: - some time ago I was developed small and dirty system to avoid this problem - not very elegant, one small EXE file, but satisfied my needs.
Of course, it will be really nice that I can handle from within TOS :coffe:

Once again, thank you :D

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:30 pm

This should ideally be implemented in the emulator, as it's actually an emulator problem and not a TOS problem. The emulator could return autofolder programs/files in the order specified by a text-file. Or it could maintain it's own directory for the autofolder on a host filesystem, then programs like autosort and XBoot would work as intended too.
Jo Even

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:50 pm

joska wrote:Or it could maintain it's own directory for the autofolder on a host filesystem, then programs like autosort and XBoot would work as intended too.

Hmm, good idea, maybe I can do something, or just look in windows Registry...

Social Media

Return to “Applications”