Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Mint and HD Partitions

Postby Moulinaie » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:29 pm

Hello,

here is my problem....
I have a TT with one hard drive that has:
- four big partitions (C, D E and F)
- and six little 16 MB partitions (G: to L:) to be used with the SuperCharger emulator. The last one is MS-DOS formatted to boot DOS 6.22.
Then I have a ZIP 100 drive as M:.

Just after the boot, I have a tool that removes the L: from the list because the TOS can't access to the MSDOS partition as formatted by the Supercharger tool.
So I can access from C: to K:, L doesn't exist and then M: for the ZIP.

But, when I run Mint, only the C: partition is accessible ! It seems that my pattern disturbs it.

So...

Is there a way to run Mint and tell it not to parse the whole disk and to read only partitions from C to F and skip the rest?

Any idea?

Guillaume.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Mint and HD Partitions

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:10 pm

Actually, partitions under 32MB are same in TOS and DOS . Only above it starts to differ - because different logical sector sizes.
But that means not that it is accessible for TOS - I guess that it needs to be removed for TOS because it is boot partition for MS DOS.
The whole combination is something very special, and no wonder that Mint has problem with it.
I don't think that there is some tool for this case - with Mint.
Basically, what you have are very old drives, as I see. Question is, is it worth to invest time for thinkering solution for this - that may be hard case. Old disks will not last long.
I think that best solution would be to go one some modern storage, Flash card based. Then you can have diverse medias for Mint, for Supercharger and for TOS. Not to mention much larger capacities - GB-s, not 100 MB and like ...

Something more: tool removes L, because TOS can not access it - then why need to remove ? There is L, but not accessible - that is not so big problem.
What happens when you run Mint without that L removal tool ?
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Moulinaie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Mint and HD Partitions (Solved)

Postby Moulinaie » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:15 pm

Concerning the L: partition :TOS can open it but it displays a list of folders with random names. So I'm afraid that it could dmanage the partition, that's why I hide it.

About Mint : I noticed that my HD Drive version was very old (V6.01), so I updated it and now it works fine under TOS or Mint !

Guillaume.

Social Media

Return to “Applications”