Cloning an Atari CF card on a Mac

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Cloning an Atari CF card on a Mac

Postby Fujiyama » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:51 pm

Let's say I've created a nice Compact Flash "hard drive" for my ST (connected via an IDE-CF adapter to a MonSTer board) and want to back it up. Or rather clone it as I want the AUTO programs to go in the exact same order as I put them (I use AUTOsort a lot for this sort of thing when the order matters). How can I do this using a Mac?
Does the CF card have to be DOS compatible to begin with, or doesn't it matter if the Mac can read it or not? I'm wondering if Disk Utility can handle this or I need something else. I'm using OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks.
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Cloning an Atari CF card on a Mac

Postby mikro » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:11 pm

I suppose Macs also have the classic 'dd' tool available?

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:57 pm

Yes, macOS has the dd tool since it is BSD-based. Fujiyama will need to use the Terminal app in order to get to the command line.

Bob C

arf
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby arf » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:31 am

Fujiyama wrote:Let's say I've created a nice Compact Flash "hard drive" for my ST (connected via an IDE-CF adapter to a MonSTer board) and want to back it up. Or rather clone it as I want the AUTO programs to go in the exact same order as I put them (I use AUTOsort a lot for this sort of thing when the order matters). How can I do this using a Mac?

• Attach source and target media to the Mac.
• When there’s an alert stating that media could not be read, click "ignore".
• Start Disk Utility.app
• On the left hand side, click your "source" media. Write down the device name, like "disk3"
• Repeat with the "target" media.
• If there are volumes mount for source or target, unmount them in Disk Utility (but do not eject)
• Open Terminal.app
• type

Code: Select all

dd bs=1m if=/dev/rdisk8 of=/dev/rdisk9
(replace the numbers in the devicenames with the one from your notes. But stay with "rdisk", not "disk"). After if is the source given (i=input), after of the target (o=output).
• you won’t see any progress bars or similar, just the shell prompt will be shown after dd has finished, along with a short summary how many bytes have been written

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:11 am

And if you only have one CF-reader:

dd bs=1m if=/dev/rdisk8 of=cf_clone.img
dd bs=1m if=cf_clone.img of=/dev/rdisk8

Of course, swap cards between those two commands.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:14 am

joska wrote:Of course, swap cards between those two commands.

... and make sure you've got the device names exactly right. "dd" is well known as an acronym for "disk destroyer"...

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:16 am

Glad to see there's an available solution though I'm a little weary about the "disk destroyer" acronym :lol:
If you're not completely awake it's easy to select the wrong drive whereas with a GUI at least you can see which drive icon you drag over to the app. I did find a GUI wrapper for DD called dd-gui which I tested with a USB stick, and it did allow me to drag the drive icons over, but I couldn't quite figure out how to copy from one device to another without having them simultaneously mounted.

Joska explained the CLI commands for that, but it would be ideal if this could be done in a GUI instead.
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:57 am

Terminal type "diskutil list"

Like this ...

Franks-MacMini:~ frank$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_APFS Container disk1 499.9 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
0: APFS Container Scheme - +499.9 GB disk1
Physical Store disk0s2
1: APFS Volume Macintosh_HD 312.3 GB disk1s1
2: APFS Volume Preboot 19.5 MB disk1s2
3: APFS Volume Recovery 519.9 MB disk1s3
4: APFS Volume VM 20.5 KB disk1s4

/dev/disk2 (external, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk2
1: EFI EFI 314.6 MB disk2s1
2: Apple_HFS Backup 999.8 GB disk2s2
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:52 am

For us non-tech types, load MagiC Mac, connect your device and back all the way to the moon dragg'in and dropp'in :)

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:23 am

Yes, I have MagicMac, but it's been years ago since I used it and (as far as I know) it won't work on Intel based Macs. Besides, how would that help clone a CF card (to preserve the boot order in the AUTO folder)?

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:45 am

There is AtariX ...

AtariX.jpg

It works fine under HighSierra. Ask Mr. Kromke
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:14 am

Well, if you want a fully graphical version. Get a USB stick, snag a Linux Distro that uses Gnome, boot it up, load a program called "Disks" and you can use it to wite out to an image, then you can restore that image back to another CF card. I think the downside of this program is if you have multiple paritions. I haven't found a way to copy the block device yet.

Then again, I agree with everyone else. dd is great, Mac device lists though.. not so much. It is funny to me that macOS is all about making a friendly Unix, but fails miserably in making the Unix parts friendly or even up to date. In a system with only one hard drive, Linux command would just be

sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/tmp/cf.img --progress

Just remember, if is input file, and of is output file.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:46 pm

I've tried Linux distributions for PCs in the past and it turned out to be very time consuming to get to work, so maybe I'll just settle for the terminal commands as this isn't something I do every day. Maybe a script could be made to streamline the process and safeguard against selecting the wrong drive/disk.

Joska: you suggested the following commands when having just one CF-card reader:

dd bs=1m if=/dev/rdisk8 of=cf_clone.img
dd bs=1m if=cf_clone.img of=/dev/rdisk8

I think Frank Lukas tried to explain it, but I couldn't understand what "synthesized" meant.
So when you list the available drives (diskutil list") there are often multiple results such as:
/dev/disk3/
disk3
disk 3s1
disk3s2

An estimated guess would be that "disk3" is the actual physical hard disk drive/SSD/CF card or whatever while "disk3s1" and "disk3s2" are the individual partitions on that disk?
So I'm guessing that if I recognize the disk name/disk size I would use:

dd bs=1m if=/dev/rdisk3 of=cf_clone.img
dd bs=1m if=cf_clone.img of=/dev/rdisk3

Will there be any alert to when I should change disks?
Is "cf_clone.img" a temporary disk image file which will automatically be deleted when written to the new CF card?

Frank Lukas: Is AtariX a new Atari ST emulator for the OSX platform, or an environment which allows MagiCMac to be used with modern Macs/more current OSX versions? I couldn't come up with much searching with Google or other search engines except this German thread (and my German isn't good enough to fully understand it).
I also found a page about Magic Mac X but it only seems to work up to OSX 10.4.11.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:07 pm

disk3 is the whole disk and disk3s1 and so on are the partitions on that disk

Social Media

Return to “Applications”