Long Filenames

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

johnnyboy1911
Atariator
Atariator

Long Filenames

Postby johnnyboy1911 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:45 pm

so I prefer to work on my Falcon with TOS 4.01 and would like to edit long filenames which tool can help me?

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Long Filenames

Postby calimero » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:58 pm

You will nees OS that support long file names file systems like MagiC or MiNT...
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:08 pm

An one needs to format some partition with a file system that support long filenames (not DOS/TOS one, but minix or ext2 etc). And with a desktop (or console program) that supports long file names, one can then rename them.

I think most fancier desktops should support long file names, but maybe even just latest TeraDesk is enough?

arf
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby arf » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:54 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:An one needs to format some partition with a file system that support long filenames (not DOS/TOS one, but minix or ext2 etc). And with a desktop (or console program) that supports long file names, one can then rename them.

I think most fancier desktops should support long file names, but maybe even just latest TeraDesk is enough?

You don’t necessarily need to format a partition "into" Minix or Ext2 to have long filenames. you could use VFAT on existing GEM/FAT partitions with MagiC (and I guess with MiNT, too). Plain TOS can then also access the data there, it’s just that longer filenames are shortened. But everything works, that’s the way VFAT was designed.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:59 pm

johnnyboy1911 wrote:so I prefer to work on my Falcon with TOS 4.01 and would like to edit long filenames which tool can help me?

None. You can't have long filenames under plain TOS. As already pointed out, you need either MiNT or MagiC for that. If you use MiNT you also need to use a desktop that understands long filenames. Teradesk and Thing! are two good, free desktop that does.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Social Media

Return to “Applications”