Req : "Audio Sculpture" (STX,...) even not running...

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Req : "Audio Sculpture" (STX,...) even not running...

Postby npomarede » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:11 pm

Hi

Hatari sources were updated today with the required changes to make this program work (STOP behaviour with S=0, specific IKBD program by Troed and fix for timer B counting too many events when in low res connected to a mono screen).
With this, I can run the STX version 1.3 and 1.5 made with Pasti on real ST, both in color and mono mode.
The CTR version of 1.3 doesn't go beyond track 3, so it's likely to fail on the "complex" disk part of the protection, I need to check the traces.
Can't tell for the RAW of SCP files, as they are not supported in Hatari :)

Nicolas

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:37 am

npomarede wrote:
Toni Wilen wrote:

Code: Select all

; already in supervisor mode
or #$8000,sr
stop #0
addq.l #1,d0
Sequence is:
- stop does 0 -> sr copy
- trace exception (my test code only stored SR and stacked PC and did RTE)
- execution continues normally from addq.l #1,d0 in user mode and no
trace enabled
(because trace stacked SR was zero)

Also, Toni measured that STOP would take only 4 cycles if TRACE if set before the STOP :
Toni Wilen wrote:Hint about STOP being sometimes faster made me to do some more tests: if
Trace is set, STOP is faster! 4 vs 8 cycles. 4 cycles if trace, 8 cycles
if T was not set (and S-bit was cleared in STOP parameter)

Yes, that is the expected behavior. STOP is an instruction that takes 4 cycles always. You can consider STOP as being a NOP without prefetch.

An interrupt that was unmasked by the STOP instruction will take 8 cycles, but because there are delays when changing the SR and then STOP will run twice before the interrupt is processed.

TRACE will prevent a privilege violation because in that case there won't be any STOP iteration in User mode.

Steven Seagal wrote:After STOP's first iteration, trace starts at once, SR is updated during the first nn cycles of that exception ...

Not exactly. SR is updated before STOP ends. The reason that an interrupt would be delayed for another STOP iteration is that the CPU can't process an interrupt right at the end of an instruction. The CPU needs some time to perform the interrupt level comparison and decide if an interrupt exception would be triggered.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:43 am

Steven Seagal wrote:OK now I may post the Steem screenshot ;) ...

Nice, but is this title STE only? Or there is yet another emulation issue in STF mode?

npomarede wrote:Hatari sources were updated today with the required changes to make this program work (STOP behaviour with S=0, specific IKBD program by Troed and fix for timer B counting too many events when in low res connected to a mono screen).
With this, I can run the STX version 1.3 and 1.5 made with Pasti on real ST, both in color and mono mode.
The CTR version of 1.3 doesn't go beyond track 3, so it's likely to fail on the "complex" disk part of the protection, I need to check the traces.

Also nice :)

The CTR image has the wrong decoding of the sector under the index on track 3. I'm not very familiar with CTR images. Don't know for sure if it's an emulation issue or the decoding is already wrong on the image itself.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:47 am

npomarede wrote:I read motorola's doc (9th edition from 1993 and programmer's ref manual incl cpu32 from 1992), but I didn't see any mention of this in the description of STOP. Did you use another doc ?

It's Motorola M68000 Programmer's Reference Manual. 5th edition. 1986:

If the bit of the immediate data corresponding to the S-bit is off, execution of the instruction will cause a privilege violation.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:53 am

JimDrew wrote:I took a quick look at the image file (.scp format). Track 0, 1, and 2 are definitely not "normal" by PC/Atari ST standards. I didn't look at other tracks ... I don't have a ST setup currently, but other than perhaps a bit noisy I don't see any reason from a flux stand point why this disk won't copy correctly.

The problem is on track 3. See these posts in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=31939&start=25#p330131
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=31939&start=25#p330115
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=31939&start=50#p330221

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:19 am

ijor wrote:Nice, but is this title STE only? Or there is yet another emulation issue in STF mode?
The program works in STF and STE mode ; in STE mode DMA sound is available with stereo and 50 kHz replay.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:00 pm

npomarede wrote:
ijor wrote:Nice, but is this title STE only? Or there is yet another emulation issue in STF mode?
The program works in STF and STE mode ; in STE mode DMA sound is available with stereo and 50 kHz replay.

I see. It doesn't work for me with Steem in STF mode. Steven?

You didn't commit a new binary, Nicolas? Only a source update at this time, right?

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:05 pm

ijor wrote:You didn't commit a new binary, Nicolas? Only a source update at this time, right?

No new binary from myself, but there's still the automatic builds that were setup by Christer Solskogen on http://antarctica.no/~hatari/ (latest version is usually rebuilt a few minutes after the changes are commited to the main sources repo)

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:56 pm

For macOS users my automated builds are also updated with these changes.

https://troed.ddns.net/d/b90229b625/

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:22 pm

ijor wrote:I see. It doesn't work for me with Steem in STF mode. Steven?

AS loads in STF mode just the same for me (Steem beta 28/10). But I didn't try the software beyond loading. Looks complicated! :)
I mentioned the STX images don't load every time (HALT possible).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steven Seagal on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:26 pm

ijor wrote:Not exactly. SR is updated before STOP ends. The reason that an interrupt would be delayed for another STOP iteration is that the CPU can't process an interrupt right at the end of an instruction. The CPU needs some time to perform the interrupt level comparison and decide if an interrupt exception would be triggered.

Well then it's more involved as far as Steem is concerned, because, leaving STOP aside, IRQ is instantly recognised by the CPU. Of course, some MFP parameters could compensate for this. It seems some refactoring is necessary.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:36 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:AS loads in STF mode just the same for me (Steem beta 28/10). But I didn't try the software beyond loading. Looks complicated! :)

Yes, it works. Not sure why it didn't work for me before :?:

Regarding the Pasti images, you might need to use the undocumented diag Code 16 in the Pasti Config Option pane. I'll provide later a correct 1.3 Pasti image that doesn't need this option. For 1.5 it is more difficult since we don't have a flux level dump of that version.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:46 pm

ijor wrote:
Steven Seagal wrote:AS loads in STF mode just the same for me (Steem beta 28/10). But I didn't try the software beyond loading. Looks complicated! :)

Yes, it works. Not sure why it didn't work for me before :?:

Ah!! I see why it didn't. For some reason STF mode requires drive B to be turned on. It doesn't load if it is turned off! STE mode does work regardless.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:25 pm

When drive B: isn't connected, Steem would just timeout on all WD1772 commands.
So I removed that bit and now not only does AS loads, but the ST boots to GEM at once, there was always a delay before. Long-standing bug.
Thx!
It's different between STF and STE probably because of different TOS.

EDIT: in fact removing that bit does like the drive wasn't disconnected, lol. Will need more time to fix...
EDIT2: better now.
Imagine how embarrassing it would have been to upload that as a release :)
Last edited by Steven Seagal on Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:27 pm

ijor wrote:
JimDrew wrote:I took a quick look at the image file (.scp format). Track 0, 1, and 2 are definitely not "normal" by PC/Atari ST standards. I didn't look at other tracks ... I don't have a ST setup currently, but other than perhaps a bit noisy I don't see any reason from a flux stand point why this disk won't copy correctly.

The problem is on track 3. See these posts in this thread:

http://atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 25#p330131
http://atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 25#p330115
http://atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 50#p330221

Thanks. I looked at track 3, and it is odd but certainly nothing that shouldn't write back. I need to setup my ST to test this. Does STEEM now working correctly for the STOP issue?
I am the flux ninja

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:49 pm

JimDrew wrote:Does STEEM now working correctly for the STOP issue?

Only the beta, not v3.9.3. See my signature for the link.

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:44 pm

Thanks... I grabbed it. How do you handle multiple-revolution .scp images? Do you spool the revolutions back to back (this is what UAE/WinUAE does).
I am the flux ninja

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:06 pm

It does in v3.9.3 but in the current build, Steem loads the first rev, then uses the 2nd rev to read over IP if necessary, then loads first rev again ASAP (right after a read sector for example, or when looking for a sector to read, after another sector header has been passed).
So only the first two revs are used.
Doing this, Turrican 2 revs works in the beta, while it doesn't in v3.9.3 (but Turrican 5 revs does work).

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:22 pm

Audio Sculpture works fine with the .scp image and your beta version. However, I had to use TOS1.02. TOS2.06 does NOT work. I don't know if that's the case for the real disk or not, but it is certainly the case for STEEM.

So, since the .scp image works fine, it most certainly can be written back to disk correctly as well. :)
I am the flux ninja

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:45 pm

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:56 pm

I read those, thanks. Does this program really require TOS1.02? It doesn't work with TOS2.06 under STEEM, and I think my STFM's are all 2.06, so testing may not even be possible. Like I said, since this works in STEEM, the flux data is correct so writing it back should not be an issue. Tracks 0-2, 4-79 should be copied in INDEX and track 3 needs to be copied in SPLICE mode. However, based on the write splices this is pretty easy to determine for the SPLICE mode to work properly.
Last edited by JimDrew on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the flux ninja

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:15 pm

JimDrew wrote:I read those, thanks. Does this program really require TOS1.02? It doesn't work with TOS2.06 under STEEM, and I think my STFM's are all 2.06, so testing may not even be possible.

From a quick test under Hatari, it crashed with TOS 2.06, but at least it's after the protection check. So if you manage to write the disk and reach the expose software intro with a moving background, then it means the disk was correctly written.

kodak80
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kodak80 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:35 pm

JimDrew wrote:Does this program really require TOS1.02? It doesn't work with TOS2.06 under STEEM, and I think my STFM's are all 2.06, so testing may not even be possible. Like I said, since this works in STEEM, the flux data is correct so writing it back should not be an issue. Tracks 1-2, 4-79 should be copied in INDEX and track 3 needs to be copied in SPLICE mode..

I had never considered writing the disk with track 3 (track 2 in SCP as tracks start a 0) as SPLICE and the other tracks as INDEX. Anyway, I have tried this and inserted the disk in my STFM with TOS 1.02 and the disk still does not load for me. :(
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards
Admin of Atari ST Review Magazine Archive: http://www.ataristreview.com

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:20 pm

kodak80 wrote:I had never considered writing the disk with track 3 (track 2 in SCP as tracks start a 0) as SPLICE and the other tracks as INDEX.

I think it is track 3 in SCP software, in Steem tracks start at 0 too.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:22 pm

JimDrew wrote:Does this program really require TOS1.02? It doesn't work with TOS2.06 under STEEM, and I think my STFM's are all 2.06, so testing may not even be possible.

Not the best config to test games! Did you consider downgrading? :)

Social Media

Return to “Applications”