All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

NVDI FONT Issue

Postby fmh » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi,

I'm slowly trying to setup my FireBee as a fully functioning desktop computer. I have NVDI 5 and Atari Works 1.2 installed. I thought everything was working well until I started using Atari Works to document my issues. When in Atari Works doing a document the letters seem to not fit properly horizontally. The letters lay on top of each other. I had a large text capture from a Web Site I pasted in to Atari Works and it was a total jumbled mess. I saved the document and called it back up but still all messed up. I decided to copy and paste the info from the Atari Works document into QED and it was fine as plain text.

Attached is a screen shot of "THIS IS A Test" in Atari Works Document to show what I am talking about. I did try out a different bunch of FONTs and sizes and so far Baskerville appears to correctly. So it appears that something in my NVDI setup is not right. What should I look for to correct this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: NVDI FONT Issue

Postby jfl » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:12 pm

What font is used in that screenshot? It looks like a bitmap font.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:00 pm

Did you also try GDOS fonts and plain bitmap fonts?
Maybe Atari Works is too old for this stuff

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:40 pm

Atari Work works perfectly with vector fonts, and I have no issue with NVDI 5 nor Speedo GDOS
Are you using one of the Speedo Font supplied with NVDI or a TTF font found on the net?
Sometimes, free TTF fonts found on the net are screwed.
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/beebox68k/

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:27 pm

Looks like a old bitmap GDOS not-vector and non-monospaced font is used. Atari Works may be not accustomed to this font type: one mistake for a GEM developper is to think all old bitmaps fonts are monospaced. Doing the math with "M" glyph or "space" width is faster, but you may get display errors like this snapshot for words display. Using vqt_extent() with complete strings is slower but secure.

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:36 am

I went and created a new document and it defaulted to 6x13 (first on the list) I tried ArialPixel (next on the list) and that was messed up too. Once I got to a more familiar Font Baskerville it looked normal.

I was having issues setting up NVDI initially on my FireBee. Another user sent me their configuration for me to compare where I went wrong. (Missing ASSIGN.SYS) It appears that I copied their Fonts over as I didn't have a whole lot and now I have dozens and many I don't recognize. I guess I have to be more careful in what I select or start deleting some.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:58 pm

I tried Atari Works (vers. 2) and my FireBee froze solid immediately :(
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:44 am

-> fmh
If you have 6x13 and other funny named font, it's part of the install for X11 on Sparemint.
If you don't use X11, you can get rid of it. Bitmap font are also useless for printing.
In general I stick with only one bitmap font for the system in 4 sizes, like Monaco serie for example.
Edit your assign.sys and copy below each SCREEN.SYS occurrences for example:
s MONACO08.FNT
s MONACO09.FNT
s MONACO10.FNT
s MONACO20.FNT

-> Jean Francois : Atari Work 1.207 is working like a charm on my Firebee. As far as I know that's the ultimate official version from Atari.
I stumble upon v2 one day but it seems to me that it was a beta, stability was not very good, and if I remember it was incomplete (no database or spreadsheet, I can't remember)
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/beebox68k/

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:09 pm

Faucon2001 wrote:-> Jean Francois : Atari Work 1.207 is working like a charm on my Firebee. As far as I know that's the ultimate official version from Atari. I stumble upon v2 one day but it seems to me that it was a beta, stability was not very good, and if I remember it was incomplete (no database or spreadsheet, I can't remember)

OK, thanks for the clarification. I won't worry about this, then.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Mikefulton
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mikefulton » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:53 pm

Rajah Lone wrote:Looks like a old bitmap GDOS not-vector and non-monospaced font is used. Atari Works may be not accustomed to this font type: one mistake for a GEM developper is to think all old bitmaps fonts are monospaced. Doing the math with "M" glyph or "space" width is faster, but you may get display errors like this snapshot for words display. Using vqt_extent() with complete strings is slower but secure.

AtariWorks functions just fine with bitmapped fonts, monospaced or otherwise.

While some lazy programmers might assume all fonts were monospaced, and fail with proportional fonts, you're suggesting the opposite and that makes no sense.

Why would a program that is otherwise perfectly capable of using proportionally spaced fonts, and which doesn't use the system font in documents in the first place, go out of its way to detect which fonts were bitmapped so that it could then bypass the formatting code that used vqt_extent and instead used code that assumed monospacing?

Lastly, if a program actually did that for some insane reason, don't you think the mistake would be caught the first time someone selected a bitmapped font when using the program? Remember that AW was originally written with the original bitmapped-font only GDOS in mind. FSM/Speedo support was only added to the program at the very end of development.

Social Media

Return to “Applications”