Postby bullis1 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:08 pm

Yeah thanks for the picture. My anticipation levels are off the charts now :D
Member of the Atari Legend team

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: PARCP-USB

Postby dhedberg » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:45 pm

joysfera wrote:These are the fruits of five day soldering marathon :)
parcp-usb.jpg

I'm posting this picture to ensure you the PARCP-USB is indeed being shipped. This is actually the fourth batch. You can notice the two items at bottom right are still free ;)

Why don't you try and sell one on E-Bay? It's such a good device so I'd be surprised if there wouldn't be a demand for it. Perhaps even enough for another batch?
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org

joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby joysfera » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:32 pm

Thanks, guys. The best news is that your PARCP-USB units have been shipped this morning. You can expect them in less than a week, hopefully.

Daniel, the idea of Ebay is interesting. Though for the next batch, the last one, I'd need at least six pre-orders before I can go ahead with ordering the components. And I am not sure how Ebay could help me with that. What I may try is to sell the last free items from the current batch there. But I kind of prefer to sell it to guys that I at least virtually know so I can exchange emails with them and help them out eventually. Ebay feels more anonymous in this regard.

Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby 499 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:02 am

I ordered a second one yesterday. They look so awesome in the picture, I thought I had to have a spare.

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:51 am

I just now received my two PARCP-USB devices.

They look great.

Very professional work.

Thank you!

:cheers:

joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby joysfera » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:57 am

Thank you, I am very glad you like them :)

Wow, so the post can make it in just three days from Czech Rep. to Germany. Thumbs up for them! :)

I'm going to email the registration details immediately, sorry I haven't done so yet.

BTW, I have sent all remaining PARCP-USB adapters yesterday and now my order backlog is empty, first time in two months. And there's one adapter left so if anyone is interested I can ship it immediately.

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:37 pm

Mine is in the pic too ;) Payment went out today....
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby joysfera » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:32 pm

FYI, I have just released a new version of PARCP - v3.97 and also updated the full documentation regarding the PARCP-USB adapter:
http://joy.sophics.cz/parcp/whatsnew.htm
http://joy.sophics.cz/parcp/parcpdoc.htm#Changes

I have managed to compile the new version even for old DOS so those with PARCP cable can now benefit from the numerous bugfixes that I made while working on the PARCP-USB.

Time to try compiling for the OS X now :) When/if I get something working I'll let you know here.
Last edited by joysfera on Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:16 pm

joysfera wrote:Time to try compiling for the OS X now :) When/if I get something working I'll let you know here.

... look forward to the results
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:50 pm

Today I did my first "quick test" with my new PARCP-USB devices.

It was a matter of plugging everything in and start the software on both sides.

Works like a charm. I am very impressed by the professionality of these devices. Phantastic work, joysfera!

I would like to measure my speeds I can achieve when transferring files.
What´s the best method to do speed measurements, that are comparable to your published speeds?
Last edited by dbsys on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby joysfera » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:18 pm

I am very glad that you're happy with how PARCP-USB looks and also how it works, thank you. The plug&play is an important feature of this USB solution as originally it was kinda complicated to set up the parallel port on a PC for PARCP cable properly.

As for speeds: the numbers published were measured in ideal conditions: files were copied from ramdisk to ramdisk so there were no slow downs caused by harddrives. If you wan to reproduce it then copy one large file that takes at least 20 seconds to transfer because the time is measured to seconds, not fractions of it, so the shorter the transfer time the less correct the number printed by PARCP Server is. And you want to have as large the BlockSize as possible - for Falcon at least 128 (it's in kilobytes).

I usually copied over 2 MB file created in Linux by the following command:

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/shm/testfile bs=1M count=2048

On slower machines (ST) I made the file shorter and also lowered the BlockSize (I think I used 32 on ST).

Another important thing is to disable the CRC (the control checksum) as it takes a lot of CPU time to compute it so it again slows down the transfer on slow machines.

For Linux you can use the /dev/shm/ path as a ramdisk. For Windows I don't know about any ramdisk but frankly I didn't search for it.
However, I spent good time searching for TOS ramdisk and it's been surprisingly hard to find one. You obviously don't want those that provide on-the-fly compression as that slows down again. At last I found a very simple ramdisk but it seems to be buggy, anyway.

In short, I wouldn't bother with measuring the speed and would just enjoy that it's working fast and fine. You might want to explore the scripting features or drag&drop support instead :)
BTW, do you know that PARCP can set up precise time&date on your Atari? ;-)
Last edited by joysfera on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby joysfera » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:28 pm

joysfera wrote:Time to try compiling for the OS X now :) When/if I get something working I'll let you know here.

I have compiled a standalone demo of PARCP fullscreen interface that I call ParShell (for some historical reasons). I have sent the OSX binary to frank.lukas for testing. If anyone else with a Mac wants to give it a try please mail me and I'll send it to you as well. It might not start at all (probably due to a missing library) but if it did run it should look as follows:

parshell.png

FYI, this is a ParShell.TOS running in my MultiTOS setup in TosWin2 window. I've made this screenshot for Jo Even who has issues running the PARCP under XaAES. My setup is using N.AES. I should try installing some EasyMiNT with XaAES if it indeed behaves differently (I doubt that).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:44 pm

I tried out the PARCP-USB today on my Falcon030 (plain TOS 4.04) connected to a WinXP computer. It worked very well, reaching about 50k/s. I'll try it out on a Win7 computer later to see if I can achieve higher speeds. 50kb/s is still a huge improvement compared to what I achieve using the Ethernet adapter. Thanks a lot of developing this hardware and software!

Regardless of running the server or client software on WinXP I get an exception every time I step up to the drive listing on the Windows computer. Seems like the software scans drives and for some reasons gets into trouble. The dialog's title says "Windows - No disk". See attached image. Any clue on how I can avoid this? It doesn't matter if I have a floppy in the floppy drive or not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dhedberg on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:16 pm

dhedberg wrote:Regardless of running the server or client software on WinXP I get an exception every time I step up to the drive listing on the Windows computer. Seems like the software scans drives for some reasons gets into trouble. Do you know any about this? The dialog's title says "Windows - No disk". See attached image. Any clue on how I can avoid this? It doesn't matter if I have a floppy in the floppy drive or not.

I can confirm that I have also had these kind of error messages. My setup: Windows XP, SP3 and Falcon with TOS 4.04.

joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby joysfera » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:42 pm

Working on the floppy issue but it's hard for me as I don't have any computer with a floppy. Neither my colleagues have them. So I am forced to do blind changes and to send binaries to testers like Daniel. Slow and complicated so bear with me.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:37 pm

This ParShell.TOS application is very nice for the Atari running MiNT ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby 499 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:54 pm

I received one of my Parcp-Usb adapters and ran a quick test copying a few files. It works great, very well built, and high quality. :cheers:

joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby joysfera » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:08 pm

Thanks, 499, I'm glad you're happy with it.

dbsys, would you please test http://joy.sophics.cz/tmp/parcpwin.exe if it still suffers from the weird "No Disk" alert when you try to list all the disk drives?
I have sent it to Daniel several times but for some reason he never received it. It's just a ParShell demo, so no need to launch Atari for test, there's no communication.

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:54 pm

joysfera wrote:dbsys, would you please test http://joy.sophics.cz/tmp/parcpwin.exe if it still suffers from the weird "No Disk" alert when you try to list all the disk drives?
I have sent it to Daniel several times but for some reason he never received it. It's just a ParShell demo, so no need to launch Atari for test, there's no communication.

joysfera, I tested the "parcpwin.exe" and it seems to work OK.

No error message when jumping around between disk drives.

I can however force the error message to come up on purpose by selecting a: which is my floppy drive with no floppy disk inserted. But that´s obviously normal.

The error message will not come when I do anything else inside the PARCP browser.

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:34 pm

dbsys wrote:
joysfera wrote:dbsys, would you please test http://joy.sophics.cz/tmp/parcpwin.exe if it still suffers from the weird "No Disk" alert when you try to list all the disk drives?

joysfera, I tested the "parcpwin.exe" and it seems to work OK.

No error message when jumping around between disk drives.

I can however force the error message to come up on purpose by selecting a: which is my floppy drive with no floppy disk inserted. But that´s obviously normal.

The error message will not come when I do anything else inside the PARCP browser.

You know what is very strange?

Now that I tested your parcpwin.exe (which is demo only) once, I seem to be unable to run the full version.

When I try, I see the PARCP window for a fraction of a second, and then it disappears again. PARCP full version does not run any longer. Why?

joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby joysfera » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:55 pm

Try starting the pacp.exe from a command window (Alt+F2 cmd.exe) - there should be a message that explains what's wrong.

And please, if possible email me with such bug reports. I am an email kind of person and can manage (mark, prioritize,...) information in my email box. This forum is handy for chatting with all of you at once but I'd prefer emails for the bug reports.

BTW, Daniel ran the parcpwin demo as well at last but didn't report any issues with running normal PARCP afterwards.

joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

PARCP beta for testers

Postby joysfera » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:37 pm

Hi,

I thought I'd ask here - if someone has time to test a new version of PARCP before I'll release it into public please e-mail me. I'd like to make a new major release and wish it was as bug free as possible.

Thanks

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:34 am

I received my PARCP last month and stupidly sat on it for a while when I could have been playing with it and saving myself some pain.

I set it up the other day and did some tests. It's awesome. I wish I had it 3 years ago :)

:cheers:

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: PARCP beta for testers

Postby dbsys » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:47 pm

joysfera wrote:Hi,

I thought I'd ask here - if someone has time to test a new version of PARCP before I'll release it into public please e-mail me. I'd like to make a new major release and wish it was as bug free as possible.

Thanks

Hi joysfera, how are you getting along with the new PARCP version?

Were you able to get enough feedback from enough beta testers?

I´m just curious....

Social Media

Return to “Applications”