PARCP-USB

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: PARCP-USB

Postby catmando » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:31 pm

Finally got a chance to try my PARCP-USB (a year since I bought it), was struggling using UIP and NetUSBee combo, but PARCP-USB transferred everything I wanted no problems.

Would be nice to see a prettier Windows GUI one day though.
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby joysfera » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:36 pm

Glad you found PARCP useful. A prettier Windows GUI might appear one day, or maybe PARCP will evolve into a full networking solution where no GUI will be needed. We'll see.

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:08 pm

joysfera wrote:Glad you found PARCP useful. A prettier Windows GUI might appear one day, or maybe PARCP will evolve into a full networking solution where no GUI will be needed. We'll see.

Anything that tidies up the process of getting files on and off the Atari will help these machines get more use
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby joysfera » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:41 am

Source code of PARCP has been released so now it is possible to get it running on any hardware you can imagine :-) And there's nothing that can stop you from creating a nice GUI for it, be it for MS-Windows, Apple's OS X or Atari GEM.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29077#p285882

Enjoy!

joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby joysfera » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:09 pm

You seven guys waiting for PARCP-USBs: I just got the PCBs today (ordered Nov 27, long 6 weeks of waiting). I'll solder them real quick and will let you know by email when they're ready for shipping. Thanks.

I think I better order a next batch of PCBs right now.

joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

PARCP 4.2.1 fixes floppy issues

Postby joysfera » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:07 pm

Since floppy drive in my accelerated Falcon does not work since ages (DMA timing conflict? bus error, bombs everywhere) I have borrowed an Atari 1040 STFM and managed to fix long standing issues with copying onto slow floppies.

PARCP 4.2.1 also no longer creates its configuration file (unless you explicitly use the Save Configuration menu entry or SAVE command). Thus you can say place PARSERVE.PRG into AUTO folder on a write-protected floppy, boot off it and PARCP will not complain that device is write protected and will not bother with creating PARCP.CFG.

I have also fixed a bug Doug Little found some time ago: if the batch file (the script with PARCP CLI commands) didn't end with end-of-line character then the last line was ignored. Thank you, Doug, for reporting it.

And at last, there are more sane defaults for configuration options: sorting is by Name and the collecting of directory information before copying is disabled. This can take really long time on a deep directory structure on a slow device so novices could get annoyed by that.

You can get your copy of PARCP 4.2.1 at http://joy.sophics.cz/www/parcp421.zip or at https://github.com/joysfera/parcp/releases/

Enjoy! :-)

Petr

Symoon
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Symoon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:29 pm

Someone made me a PARCP parallel cable yeaaaars ago (20 ?), and I'm glad to see there's still some active support for this software!
Great news especially if some day it works like Ghostlink. Keep up the good work!

tyk
Atari User
Atari User

Re: PARCP running on OS X!

Postby tyk » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:02 pm

joysfera wrote:We now have a native PARCP binary for Apple Mac OS X - running on both 32-bit and 64-bit Intel architectures

Big thanks..but :) ...How about Apple Mac OS X 32-bit and 64-bit PowerPC (PPC) architecture?
There is some hints: http://devernay.free.fr/hacks/xcodelegacy/
Mac OS X SDK 10.4u should make universal binary version that runs even from Apple Powermac G3 (1998) to Apple iMac (2011) if installed OS X is between 10.4PPC to 10.6Intel. And long text how to port from linux to OS X i386,ppc,x86_64 and ppc64 : https://developer.apple.com/library/mac ... -TPXREF101

joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby joysfera » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:50 pm

tyk wrote:How about Apple Mac OS X 32-bit and 64-bit PowerPC (PPC) architecture?

No problem. PARCP source code is available so anyone can go ahead and compile it for PPC. :cheers:

tyk
Atari User
Atari User

Postby tyk » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:06 pm

joysfera wrote:
tyk wrote:How about Apple Mac OS X 32-bit and 64-bit PowerPC (PPC) architecture?

No problem. PARCP source code is available so anyone can go ahead and compile it for PPC. :cheers:

Maybe it is better leave compile to somebody else...if there isn't for Mac-computers debuger like Devpac's MON and documentation like Atari Compendium and documentation about CPU like Motorola's book :)

Ok seriously...it looks like easy task to people who has make that OSX version. I can betatest it with my G4 and G5 Macs and I have access to one G3 Mac and even two Intel Macs with OSX 10.4 and 10.5. In my world there is more Macs with CPU or OS X versions that doesn't work with that PARCP version than Macs that it works.

EDIT: little hints to who wants compile: https://devs.openttd.org/~truebrain/com ... arwin9.txt

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:52 pm

The issue is that you also need PPC version of the lib used by parcp.
libhidapi (which itself requires a patch to work properly on OS X) is one of them
Also, even if I try to compile for PPC on my system, the OS library no longer contain the PPC part so I can't link the executable. parcp uses libncurses and here is the content of the link on my system :

Code: Select all

file /usr/lib/libncurses.5.4.dylib
/usr/lib/libncurses.5.4.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [i386: Mach-O i386 dynamically linked shared library] [x86_64: Mach-O 64-bit x86_64 dynamically linked shared library] []

As you can see, no PPC here
so if you need a PPC version, you will need to compile it yourself, assuming you have an old version of XCode with PPC support for the OS SDK.
Falcon + AB040 + Eclipse PCI + ATI Rage VGA card + NE2000 Ethernec + HxC Floppy Emulator
MegaSTE 4MB + CosmosEx / 1040 STF for hardware dev
http://www.rti-zone.org/atari.php

tyk
Atari User
Atari User

Postby tyk » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:14 pm

rpineau wrote:The issue is that you also need PPC version of the lib used by parcp.
libhidapi (which itself requires a patch to work properly on OS X) is one of them

So it is not so easy task I thought :(

rpineau wrote:Also, even if I try to compile for PPC on my system, the OS library no longer contain the PPC part so I can't link the executable.

That's why I put that link about xcodelegacy little before.

rpineau wrote:assuming you have an old version of XCode with PPC support for the OS SDK.

I have only XCodes with PPC support :) From times when it comes with OS X CD or DVD.

tyk
Atari User
Atari User

Postby tyk » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:48 am

rpineau wrote: libncurses and here is the content of the link on my system :

file /usr/lib/libncurses.5.4.dylib
/usr/lib/libncurses.5.4.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [i386: Mach-O i386 dynamically linked shared library] [x86_64: Mach-O 64-bit x86_64 dynamically linked shared library] []

As you can see, no PPC here
so if you need a PPC version, you will need to compile it yourself, assuming you have an old version of XCode with PPC support for the OS SDK.

I get access on OS X 10.6.8 Intel 64-bit machine and it shows:

MacBook-Pro:lib vis$ file libncurses.5.4.dylib
libncurses.5.4.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures
libncurses.5.4.dylib (for architecture x86_64):   Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
libncurses.5.4.dylib (for architecture i386):   Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386
libncurses.5.4.dylib (for architecture ppc7400):   Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc

That Mac has Rosetta installed from OS X DVD. Can that change something?

Anyway libncurses won't be problem, because OS X 10.4 PPC machine shows by default:

Powerbook:lib tyk$ file libncurses.5.4.dylib
libncurses.5.4.dylib: Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc

Ok..we have still libhidapi problem..

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:17 pm

10.6.8 is .. "old" and had full PPC and Intel support.
Newer OS X do not and Rosetta can't be installed on the newer ones. So your machine with 10.6.8 can probably compile a PPC version of PARCP-USB , if you also compile the PPC version of the needed libs (as explained earlier in this thread).
Falcon + AB040 + Eclipse PCI + ATI Rage VGA card + NE2000 Ethernec + HxC Floppy Emulator
MegaSTE 4MB + CosmosEx / 1040 STF for hardware dev
http://www.rti-zone.org/atari.php

joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

PARRUN

Postby joysfera » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:44 pm

This is great news and a very nice example that open source software encourages further development, even in originally unexpected directions.

http://atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30568

Petr

tyk
Atari User
Atari User

Postby tyk » Tue May 30, 2017 7:10 pm

I happily tested that Parcp-usb 4.2.1 Ubuntu executable works with Debian 8, but has to execute with root account.

joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby joysfera » Tue May 30, 2017 7:17 pm

Thanks for your report.

For your information, you don't have to run PARCP under root account - all you need is to allow regular user ("you") access the USB HID device. There's a section in PARCP documentation dedicated to this. It's about setting up special udev rule (creating a file in /etc/udev/rules.d/ and restarting udev daemon).

Petr

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:10 pm

I work with my parcpUSB under macOS Sierra and all was fine. Now with macOS HighSierra it no longer work !
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:55 pm

Strange coincidence -- I've been using PARCP-USB's client on my Arch Linux for years, no problem. Then suddenly after recent update I get totally messed up GUI, it's usable but definitely not pretty:

Spectacle.B31142.png

I tried to recompile but same result. It nearly looks like some feature in ncurses/terminfo was deprecated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:42 am

Sorry but, I do not know why it yesterday not working. Yet it works fine under macOS HighSierra ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:18 pm

There is still an issue under macOS HighSierra ...

Franks-MacMini:~ frank$ parcp
Configuration file used: /Users/frank/parcp.cfg
(valid directives found: 23)

PARallel CoPy - written by Petr Stehlik (c) 1996-2016.
Version 4.2.1 (compiled on Feb  3 2016)

PARCP USB Serial Number: 95635333430351209150

[CLIENT rev 3.80] Connecting to Server (will timeout in 7310 seconds)...
Client's Debug info: expected $4843, received $0a02

Other side is not PARCP Server
Press Enter to exit.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:27 pm

I checked under OSX Snowleopard and it also do not work, maybe my ParcpUSB Hardware is broken ...

joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby joysfera » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:07 pm

The hardware usually does not break. If possible test it on a PC and a different Atari, make sure it's plugged into the printer port of Atari correctly etc.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:49 pm

I make tests with a Atari TT and a Mega STE and a Windows 7 PC. It comes anytime the same error ...

"Client's Debug info: expected $4843, received $0a02

Other side is not PARCP Server"

joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby joysfera » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:23 pm

What does the other side (PARCP server) reports?

Social Media

Return to “Applications”