Easiest way to get high speed serial on Mega STe?

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Kirkman
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Easiest way to get high speed serial on Mega STe?

Postby Kirkman » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:52 pm

Okay guys,

I have my Mega STe, and I just got a Lantronix so that I can call BBSes with it (like Dark Lord's). It's working well.

My question is: What is the easiest way to achieve speeds beyond 19200?

I downloaded something called HSMODEM07, but it's mostly in German, and I can't make sense of how to use/configure it.

Is there an alternative program? Or can someone walk me through how to set up HSMODEM properly for the Mega STe?

I'll probably be using Freeze Dried terminal, ANSIterm, and Taz depending on what BBS I'm calling.

--Josh

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Easiest way to get high speed serial on Mega STe?

Postby DarkLord » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:57 pm

Kirkman wrote:Okay guys,

I have my Mega STe, and I just got a Lantronix so that I can call BBSes with it (like Dark Lord's). It's working well.

My question is: What is the easiest way to achieve speeds beyond 19200?

I downloaded something called HSMODEM07, but it's mostly in German, and I can't make sense of how to use/configure it.

Is there an alternative program? Or can someone walk me through how to set up HSMODEM properly for the Mega STe?

I'll probably be using Freeze Dried terminal, ANSIterm, and Taz depending on what BBS I'm calling.

--Josh

The Mega STe, like the TT, has several serial ports that have higher speeds. I've never tried to use them personally.
Here is a zip archive of HSMODEMs docs, in English. I use HSMODEM on my Mega ST4 that runs DarkForce, but its
still limited to the stock 19.2 speed (although it feels faster than that to me).

Most Atari BBS's running on real hardware won't go faster than 19.2 anyway. There are a few exceptions of course.
Starfleet runs on a real Atari Falcon and has its higher speeds. Many of the "emulated" Atari BBS's use higher speeds
as well.

HTHs.

hsm7doc.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Zogging Hell » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:03 pm

It's been a while but from memory you need to put DRIVIN.PRG, MFP.PRG and SCC.PRG in your auto folder (in that order, DRIVIN must be first to run). You then need to connect your modem to one of the smaller ports and change the appropriate port selection (Modem 2 or Serial 1 depending on which one you have plugged into) in your terminal software. Depending on the software (and this really is from memory), some of the higher speeds were mapped to obsolete speeds in the configs of older terminal software, so if your software doesn't seem to support speeds over 19200, try one of the really low speeds which might work.
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours

Kirkman

Postby Kirkman » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:26 pm

I just wanted to bump this thread, because I remain unsuccessful in my attempts to use the Mega STe for BBSing at any speed higher than 19200.

I know how to configure the Lantronix to change modem speeds. Both Taz and AnsiTerm support speeds up to 57600.

I have dropped the HSModem07 drivers into AUTO, and tried to use the setter.ttp program to set them up (really wish there was a clear translation of the German).

Regardless, I always get gibberish in Taz and AnsiTerm when I switch to 57600 baud.

I hadn't been using Xcontrol, but after my failures, I added it and installed Peter Rottengatter's replacement SERIAL.CPX. I used it to set the modem for 57600, etc, but this made no difference. Still gibberish in the terminals.

I also tried connecting the Lantronix onto my Mega STe's SERIAL2 port (instead of MODEM1) since I heard it was capable of higher speeds. ANSIterm still seemed to see the Lantronix (it gave the same gibberish as before), but Taz didn't. So, failure both ways.

Anyone out there able to help? I'm trying to configure my Lantronix, Mega STe, HSmodem and AnsiTerm/Taz working at 57600.

--Josh

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:00 pm

Kirkman wrote:I just wanted to bump this thread, because I remain unsuccessful in my attempts to use the Mega STe for BBSing at any speed higher than 19200.

I know how to configure the Lantronix to change modem speeds. Both Taz and AnsiTerm support speeds up to 57600.

I have dropped the HSModem07 drivers into AUTO, and tried to use the setter.ttp program to set them up (really wish there was a clear translation of the German).

Regardless, I always get gibberish in Taz and AnsiTerm when I switch to 57600 baud.

I hadn't been using Xcontrol, but after my failures, I added it and installed Peter Rottengatter's replacement SERIAL.CPX. I used it to set the modem for 57600, etc, but this made no difference. Still gibberish in the terminals.

I also tried connecting the Lantronix onto my Mega STe's SERIAL2 port (instead of MODEM1) since I heard it was capable of higher speeds. ANSIterm still seemed to see the Lantronix (it gave the same gibberish as before), but Taz didn't. So, failure both ways.

Anyone out there able to help? I'm trying to configure my Lantronix, Mega STe, HSmodem and AnsiTerm/Taz working at 57600.

--Josh

If you have specific things you need to have translated from German, just post them here and I will give it a try (provided it's not a complete book to translate ;) )

Kirkman

Postby Kirkman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:12 am

Just wanted to bump this a few years later. Anyone have a simple guide on how to set up a Mega STe's serial port to work at 57600?

Which serial port should I use on the Mega STe? How do you set up HSmodem? Which terminal programs properly support it?

ICS

Postby ICS » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:24 am

It has been a very long time for me, but I used a terminal software called "Rufus" on my MegaSTE, together with HSModem package, and I was using my U.S. Robotics modem @ speeds of either 38400bps or 57600bps. Might have even worked at higher settings. I was using the serial port on the slot cover for the VME Port (gfx card). This was ca. 1993, so I do not remember all the details anymore, sorry. I switched to a TT afterwards (ca. 1995) and did the same thing there, successfully. So it definitely works. It should also work on "Connect" terminal software without problems.

Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atari030 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:31 pm

TT, MegaSTE or Falcon all support high speed. Up to 115k IIR.

If memory serves, Serial 1 is plain jane MFP driven so only supports 19,200. Serial 2 and Modem 1 are high speed. I used them back in the day for comms (57600) and ghostlink (115k).

I used STalker. Simple and effective. Connect was good too. There was a prog that wasn't gem based that could use the faster ports too, but I can't remember what it was called. An old mate loved it. I've just reinstalled ghostlink on my second Falcon, trial and errored until HSmodem talked turkey. I think Zoggs answer was on the money.

Kirkman

Postby Kirkman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:08 pm

Finally got some of these working at 115k. Had success with STalker (demo) and Connect95.

I was puzzled by TAZ. It seems to allow you to switch between modem ports, but I couldn't get it to see "Serial 2." Within the program, the choice is labeled as "Serial 1", but in the documentation it does say "Serial 2."

Anyone have success getting TAZ or ANSIterm to work at speeds beyond 19.2?

Social Media

Return to “Applications”