Magic 6.20 page

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Magic 6.20 page

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:49 pm

I did actually only checking what is difference between normal and this Falcon fixed German MagiC 6.20, and copied all changes in English and US translations. Was able to test only IDE, with my hard disk driver. Couldn't make Hddriver 8.46 to recognise C partititon after partitioned in TOS/Windows (what would be TOS/DOS compatible) mode , so was not able to install driver on CF card - after couple restarts and tries. I don't know what is it - can Hddriver at all to boot from IDE drive with swapped L/H bytes ?
This files have all latest updates - country code in header, UK, US keyboard tables and AES language set as English. Of course, need to rename to MAGIC.RAM and copy on C .
Worked well on stock Falcon with 14 MB RAM, in all video modes.

Removed attachment.
Last edited by AtariZoll on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

JustinPayne
Atari User
Atari User

Postby JustinPayne » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:36 am

I'm getting that offscreen driver error with yours.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:43 am

If you mean under that 'yours' my hard disk driver - it may be with older versions. Latest ones are good with MagiC .
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

NikiforosST
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby NikiforosST » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:25 am

hi, i am running Magic perfectly on my 520STFM with Tos 1.04, ultrasatandisk and 4MB RAM, i can run first SELTOS with TOS 2.06 too, some pics below, terradesktop, jinnee and working Sting too with Netusbee.
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x207 ... c5edb0.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x207 ... bc3584.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x207 ... 24f837.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x207 ... 547194.jpg

JustinPayne
Atari User
Atari User

Postby JustinPayne » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:55 am

AtariZoll wrote:If you mean under that 'yours' my hard disk driver - it may be with older versions. Latest ones are good with MagiC .

I tried both of those MagiC files you provided. The US version first and then the UK. In both cases I still get that error I previously reported. As usually, I backed up my existing MAGIC.RAM and then renamed MAG62US.RAMfalcFix (AKA: MAG62U~1.RAM) to MAGIC.RAM. I then did a cold boot.

Since I'm using an older version of HDDriver (v.7.55) I wondered if that might be the issue but since it currently boots into MagiC using my current MAGIC.RAM (The one I provided to you), I have concern that it really is the issue.

I've also installed the latest Jinnee and Speedogdos. No real issues with those in my current install of MagiC 6.22.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:35 am

That's pretty strange - because there is only txt translated, no code changed in this UK, US versions. Changed is country flag, keyboard tables and AES language flag too. So, I think that it may be just stupid case that Hddriver 'likes' not non-German versions ?? It sounds strange, but I saw similar cases.
Should try translated magic.ram with those country, lang. flags set back to German ...
Btw. what type of partitioning is on your disk, CF card - AHDI, DOS, TOS/DOS, is it byte swapped ?

JustinPayne
Atari User
Atari User

Postby JustinPayne » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:12 pm

So, just so I clearly understood you, the only differences between the MAGIC.RAM file I provided you and the ones you posted are regional settings?

I will check on partition I chose when I get home tonight. Unfortunately, I did happen to use Cecile 2.22 to originally partition it into 512mb partitions but again, if you just did regional changes, I can't think of anything that could make a difference.
Also, my system clock is dead. I do have a replacement but I just haven't had a chance to change it out yet. I wasn't sure that would make a difference but I do know from QAing software that clocks can reveal bugs, especially with older languages.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:48 pm

There were some changes in IDE autoboot section remained. I fixed it, and now works with Hddriver - tried with v. 8.46 . But as I see, in case of IDE, you must use AHDI (TOS) type partitioning, because with DOS type autoboot works not - when it is set with byte-swap, and there is only sense to use DOS partitioning with byte-swap, for being accessible under Windows, DOS, Linux.
Magic.rau is UK v. Magic.raa is for America :D

MAGIC62FUA.ZIP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JustinPayne
Atari User
Atari User

Postby JustinPayne » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:54 pm

Great! I'll test it tonight.
Also, I'm sorry for not getting back to you about the partition type. I've been working on a bathroom project and when I've had a chance to get on my Falcon I've ran into out of memory issues. Jinnee resource files wouldn't load and I couldn't even run SysInfo unless I dropped my resolution to 640x480x2. SysInfo reported that I still had 900kb out of the 4mb but I was very suprised to see that HDDriver, MagiC, and Jinnee gobbled up so much RAM. Unless this is also only an issue with my install, I think I'll need to trim some fat in the form of a couple desk accessories. I don't think I'm being excessive but I'll need to do some testing and possible some configurations to make all of those use less RAM if possible.

JustinPayne
Atari User
Atari User

Postby JustinPayne » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:55 am

It looks like it worked. I need to do more testing but I didn't get the error. Nice job!

trecool

Postby trecool » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:39 pm

Hi everyone.
I am trying to install Magic for days on my 14mb Falcon with IDE-CF adapter using PP driver. I used several installation files (FatRakooons ver.5, some German 6.0 version and the ready to use PP package).
I always have problem after magic-boot restarts the system (as usual). Randomly the system either crashes or gives me "Offscreen-driver not found-MCMD will restart" message. Not always, totally random! Sometimes I could get to the system. At first I thought it had to do with magic.inf file...
After using the .ram files AtariZoll provided, it gives me "Fatal error in gemdos" msg + 4 bombs. Again not always, most of the times boots normally!
I am loosing my mind here...

Playmobil

Postby Playmobil » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:12 pm

Some year ago, i had the same issue... I used Cecile HD Driver, and change for HDDriver, and solve my problem... But wait more answer from another, it's so far now for me...

Sorry for my poor english...

trecool

Postby trecool » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:13 pm

No Cecile driver, as mentioned on previous posts, does not work with Magic. At least not with IDE CF adapter/Falcon.

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:48 am

I had same problem on STe back in 90s.
I never find solution - I simple reset few times until Magic boots up.
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

trecool

Postby trecool » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:58 am

Really?... so it also happens with SCSI hard drive. I was ready to try with another (slower) CF card, but I dont think that's the problem.
I also tried last night using HD driver 9.x demo, installing only the needed to boot Magic files (excl. MAGICDESK, demo ver. offers only 512k).
I just wanted to pass that reboot stage, but Offscreen-driver not found or GEMDOS ERROR messages are still there occasionally.
Any ideas guys?...

stimpy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby stimpy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:13 am

Install NVDI?
Netus-Bee,Repairs,Upgrades,EtherNEC,Eiffel

trecool

Postby trecool » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:50 am

Done on my previous attempts. Nothing really changed.
The error occurs right after the magxboot reboots the sytem. Before access the AUTO folder. Even before the driver indication...

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:12 am

stimpy wrote:Install NVDI?

as trecool already said "The error occurs right after the magxboot reboots the sytem. Before access the AUTO folder. Even before the driver indication..."

so this have nothing to do with auto folder or acc's. It is something that magic.rom try to do that give this error.
I guess that you will need to trace what is happening with debuger. Possibly do disassemble magic.rom to find what cause this error ...
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

trecool

Postby trecool » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:44 am

Yes! Thats exactly what I am thinking, but my knowledge on that is limited.
I thought that AtariZoll's exports of magic.ram files (MAGIC62FUA.ZIP) would do that job, but not for me...
It's so strange that so few people have come through that issue...

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:08 am

When I find time, I will install MagiC on Falcon but IIRC back in 90s, on Falcon, I did not have this issue.

trecool

Postby trecool » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:29 am

calimero wrote:When I find time, I will install MagiC on Falcon but IIRC back in 90s, on Falcon, I did not have this issue.

Thank you so much for your interest!

Well, so far I have tried:
1) All available drivers (except ICD which doesn't seem to recognise my IDE/CF adapter).
2) All available versions of Magic (with or without installing NVDI/Jinnee).
3) Different magic.inf configurations (including different resolution sets)
4) 14 mb Lynxman RAM board AND stock 4mb atari ram
5) Wiping CF card before driver installation
6) Different partition sizes
7) With and without formatted floppy disk inside the drive(?)

I think the only thing I haven't tried is a different (slower) CF card.
Don't know.... maybe I should start living with that... or switch to Mint...

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:48 am

And in all cases "Offscreen-driver not found-MCMD will restart" does happens?

Maybe to try ST without any type of harddisc, to boot magic from floppy?

trecool

Postby trecool » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:53 pm

Yes, randolmy I get that message or GEMDOS ERROR msg with some bombs... sometimes I just get bombs or blank screen...
1/3 times it boots normally...
Good idea try to make one MagiC boot floppy disk, if possible.
Don't have my ST at the moment, so I will keep on trying on Falcon... Thanks a lot!

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:18 pm

It may be simply age of machines. And newer CF cards are very sensitive. In Falcon IDE timing is same as bus timing, and that's not ideal. When machines are old it is even less ideal. It is worth to fix PSU - if did not it already - capacitor changes and usual ...

trecool

Postby trecool » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:22 pm

AtariZoll wrote:It may be simply age of machines. And newer CF cards are very sensitive. In Falcon IDE timing is same as bus timing, and that's not ideal. When machines are old it is even less ideal. It is worth to fix PSU - if did not it already - capacitor changes and usual ...

After trying stock 80mb hd drive with all available drivers, I was convinced it has to do with the age of the components.
It's good to hear it from you also... well not so good:)
It's such a strange behaviour can't be something else. After magxboot reboots the system, the sequence stops with just a blink of the hard drive. Only booting MagiC (with TOS or MINT never had any issue) and only some times.
After 2 or 3 failed attemts I followed these instructions which actually made the system boot up. Maybe that is another indication of the aging senario.
PSU is already recaped using exxos fine kit.

Social Media

Return to “Applications”