Magic 6.20 page

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

SofiST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Magic 6.20 page

Postby SofiST » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:07 am

Sorry - yesterday had bad connection. File is now DL-able.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:19 pm

SofiST wrote:Updated DL-s on page. Now included image files with original and modded (for twisted IDE) boot.
+ there is image file of hard disk with preinstalled Magic 6.20 and hard disk driver, with 2 partitions. Short DL. May try in Steem too.

sounds like some real neat work done.
How do you patch it? You disassemble it??
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

SofiST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SofiST » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:37 pm

Tracing, disassembling mostly with Steem Debugger. Of course, some experience with such code makes it easier.
Then testing on real HW - if it works... Again must fix STE - floppy stopped to work :(

bj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bj » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:12 pm

Hello

Thanks for translating this into English -- very nicely done.

I've been experimenting with this under emulation with Steam and Gemulator 2000 running on Windows XP Home. Here's what I found:
Using the provided hard disk image and Supertos as the Tos.img I was able to boot up into the standard ST desktop. From there I simply double clicked on Magic's boot program in the route of drive C. Magic 6 loaded and I was in the Magic desktop. Very nice. I loaded a number of different programmes to run at the same time and could manipulate windows & type in the programs. These were only brief tests just to see if it would work. I've no idea if this provides the full multitasking environment of Magic 6. So so this thing can you tell me is it essential to use the ROM image in order to provide this?

Doing this I was only able to boot up into the standard Atari ST resolutions but it seems there may be other possibilities.
I then took one of the standard SCSI hard disk image files that comes with Gemulator and copied to it only the files needed for Magic 6 from the hard disk image file provided by Sofist. (This disk image comes with hard disc driver already loaded.) I was easily able to extract the files from Sofist's disk image under Steam because I could not only access the virtual disk/image but also access a Windows folder allocated as another hard disk. As described above I booted up using Supertos and as before the open at various programmes manipulate windows under Magic 6. Great - so I tried out different screen resolutions. With this setup I was able to access the standard ST resolutions and also monochrome at 800 x 600 which gives a very nice working space.

I tried a similar experiment using Gemulator 2000 -- using Sofist's disk image and Supertos I was able to boot up onto the ST desktop and then start-up Magic 6 as described earlier. Manipulating programmes went as described earlier. Tried the same with the standard scsi hard disk image file that I'd set up earlier with the same results as understating. I was once again able to boot up into a steam on the ground at 600 x 800 -- very nice indeed.

This is where it gets a bit more complicated I tried using the supplied MAGUE62.IMG file as the ROM image in both Steam and Gemulator. Initially this work with both emulators booting up straight into Magic 6. Programs can be opened and manipulated. I tried installing NVDI 5 when working under Steam this worked a treat and screen updates were very snappy indeed. However setting Steam to boot up into ST colour resulted in arriving at Magic desktop in medium resolution. When I experimented with changing the screen resolution to a ST Low from within the options provided by Magic's Desktop -- Steam locked up. I broke the emulator. I had a similar experience with Gemulator. Although I've been able to recover the Gemulator emulator and get it working again and get Steam up and running again access to hard disk images under steam still doesn't work so I may have damaged something to do with the pasti.DLL. Now I'm not surprised by this because I was trying out different options with the intention of finding out what would work and what would crash the programs. I managed to damage various files when Steam crashed including Steam.exe, the Magic ROM image, the hard disk image provided by Sofist (maybe), the Scsi hard disk image, and pasti.DLL (maybe). Please see below for my comments on warnings about this.

So can anyone tell me does the pasty.DLL get its self installed into the Windows system by Steam. If so where would I find it. I tried replacing the file in Steam's folder but that doesn't help. Also & more importantly - Sofist - can you make put the MAGIC62E.IMG file available to download so it can be tested. The ROM image file I used is the one the you said had been fixed for use with twisted autoboot support for IDE drives and I had anticipated it would cause a crash at some point when used with the SCSI image. The one I'm interested in is the English translation without the fix for twisted IDE autoboot support. I tried to download it from your website but it's not included in the provided files there.

None of this means that Magic 6 will necessarily damage hard drive images or real drives because I was deliberately testing the limits. So here are a few notes of caution for others who want to try this --

Firstly when using Steam, Ijor advises to use the standard 8 MHz speed when using pasti.dll and hard drive images. He also advises that the hard drive image should be treated like real hardware and shut down properly otherwise you may suffer data loss and damage to the disk image. Also do remember to shut down Magic 6 probably from the Magic desktop before shutting down Steam - don't just keep rebooting steam in various configurations without previously shutting down Magic 6 properly. I didn't obey either of these recommendations in my later tests.

You may find it useful to load a blank floppy image into both Drive A. and Drive B or images with some text file on it. I had a problem with one or two of the programs I was testing out repeatedly trying to access drive A to find files when I first ran them. This went on for a long time and I resorted to rebooting the system which may have contributed to the later crash. (Configuring the offending program should fix that.)

Be wary of trying to change the emulated monitor resolution using Magic 6 desktop options. This did trigger a lock-up of Steam at one stage and the same happened with Gemulator. I'd like to hear anybody else's experiences if they try it.

Using Steam or Gemulator on a PC - It does look as if it may be possible to get Magic 6 up and running in monochrome 800 x 600 which provides a very useful sized working space. Other resolutions in colour may be possible?
regards
BJ

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:48 am

Running MagiC 6 on an emulator?
Why don't you just use Magic-PC ?
That way, you remove 1 layer of emulation.... may be better??
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

bj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bj » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:59 pm

wongck wrote:Running MagiC 6 on an emulator?
Why don't you just use Magic-PC ?

I can't get Magic-PC to run on Windows XP Home which is my current OS. I'd much prefer the Magic OS to be in English and Magic-PC is in German throughout it's just more convenient to see all drop down menus & dialogues in English. Also I want to see what's possible with this translated version of Magic.

That said Magic-PC does offer multiple choices when it comes to screen resolutions & colours. If it was translated into English I'd definitely go for it - even though I'd have to change the OS on my PC.
regards

BJ

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:31 pm

I only tried Magic-PC once..... ages ago.
Anyway, I have not tried it again so I do not know if it works with newer Windows.
Nowadays I only have Aranym on PC setup as the only Atari emulator.

ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ralcool » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:55 pm

I'll try this soon in ROM.... I guess I'll use the good old rom split tool and find a vacant spot in my ROMs to burn it to.

My ATX supply for the Atari is giving me the shits tho- goes offline often within seconds now running the Atari- or projects connected to its jacks when running at a few amps.

Always something to fix. But always something new to try 8) .

ST.
4160STFM, (Blitter, 4Mb RAM 72pin, 16Mhz OC, IDE, HD FDD, Quad TOS, LaScan, DS1216E Clock, AT-Speed C16, Tom Kirk PS2 mouse, MegaST Keyboard)
What Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away
Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy
Don't let post count or join date fool you as to who is a newbie, and who knows what's what

SofiST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SofiST » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:07 pm

Why Magic via emulator on PC ? I guess that it's good to check out things first, and then burn EPROMs for real HW :D

It is not essential to use ROM version, but as is stated it leaves more free RAM - some 200KB + . Because Magic core then runs from otherwise not used ROM space.

Considering problems with low res under Steem: I did not expereienced - it worked fine. Only that I don't see much sense - Magic is not for gaming.

Uploaded ZIPs with all mentioned files ...

SoundDoctor
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby SoundDoctor » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:25 am

wongck wrote:
Mark_G wrote:
Offscreen-driver not found .
MCMD will restart ...
System is halted .

I got the same problem on my Falcon.
Mark

IIRC, you need to install from the setup (or what ever they named it).
It uses it's own VDI and they are found normally under the GEMSYS folder.
It's efficient and fast better than the TOS versions.
I cannot remember what the filenames are now.... :(

This an old thread but....I could never get this translated Magic Ram file work in my stock Falcon with either with the files from the 6.2 page or using the 6.2 German installer or the German 6.1 to 6.2 update + English resource files. I tried everything including running it with and without NVDI 5 and it always halted on the 'offscreen driver' error. My thinking is there was something set in the magic.ram file to do with the VDI that was not 'vanilla' Falcon friendly so rather than give up...

...I've translated it again from a fresh 6.2 magic.ram file! It needs a little bit of tidying up on some of the alert messages character spacing but it's all in English including internal English keyboard mapping and those niggly little AES things like the file selector and it works AOK on my Falcon with and without NVDI. The only strange thing I have took at is the NVDI Printer CPX is in German but only under Magic 6 for some reason. The other NVDI CPX are ok. There must be a language flag in there that I missed but I'll probably leave it in case I break it.

The only other bit I'm going to leave in German is:

'Offscreen-driver not found .
MCMD will restart ...
System is halted .

Because I don't ever want to see it again!

Any interested parties PM me and I'll let you have it once I've tidied it up.
TT030 10mb/16mb/1Gb, Coco. Falcon 030 Stock 14mb (Lynxman), 1Gb CF. Falcon 030 Stock 14mb (Atari) 170mb IDE. Mega 1 big button (mash up badged Mega 4) 4mb (home cooked RAM upgrade) ICD ADSpeed ST OverScan. Mega 2 big button (4mb), Mega 1 small button (4mb home cooked 72pin SIMM slot), 520 STe (SIPPs), 520 STFM (4mb using a Falcon 4mb board + Blitter).

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:20 am

Oh cool. Glad to hear about this. I haven't tried getting Magic to run on my Falcon yet, but it is on my list to do.

Since Petari's was PAL 50Hz UK, I edited his magic.ram file to convert to NTSC 60Hz USA a little bit ago for my STE. Maybe the language flag is the one below - os_conf byte?

But yea, please keep me up on this work. Much appreciated; I didn't realize there was a problem running it on Falcon so it is good to have the heads up for when I get to it.

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:To change petari's english translation ( http://www.8bitchip.info/atari/MAGICE62.ZIP ) of Magic 6.20 from UK 50Hz UK keyboard layout to US 60Hz US keyboard layout, there are 4 files to change with a hex editor.

MAGIC62E.IMG
MAGUE62.IMG
Changed os_conf low byte at offset 0x1D to 0x00 - NTSC60Hz and Country Code USA
0x180 byte keyboard table from TOS1.62USA copied from TOS offset 0x2A304 to MAGIC offset 0xC420

MRAM/MAGIC.RAM
MRAM/MOD_BOOT/MAGIC.RAM
Changed os_conf low byte at 0x39 to 0x00 - NTSC60Hz and Country Code USA
0x180 byte keyboard table from TOS1.62USA copied from TOS offset 0x2A304 to MAGIC offset 0x79A0

*edit* http://cd.textfiles.com/ataricompendium ... /CHAP3.HTM has the description of os_conf that I used.

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:58 pm

I know this is an old thread but thought I would let you know that I wrote a little tool that will patch your MAGIC.RAM file with whatever keyboard configuration you want. Two configurations are included in this first version: Swedish and English (UK), but it's fairly easy to create your own and then use the tool to apply it. All the details are included. It's available from our home page: http://nb.atari.org.

The name of the tool is MagiC Keyboard Patch (MKBDPTCH). :)
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

JustinPayne
Atari User
Atari User

Postby JustinPayne » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:35 am

I don't suppose anyone got a copy of Sounddoctor's fix. He hasn't been on in quite some time and I had hopes his fix would resolve my issue with my stock Falcon and MagiC 6.2 (US English).

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:13 am

I will update UK packages - with more txt translated (hopefully now complete) + some other fixes. Will be US version too - with US keyboard table and US country TOS flag.
Need yet to see problems with Falcon ..
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

bear
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby bear » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:33 pm

I tried to run Rainbow Multimedia in Magic, it crash for me. Anyone else who could try it, or knows if it's incompatible?

JustinPayne
Atari User
Atari User

Postby JustinPayne » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:25 am

Just an FYI for those that plan to install MagiC on a stock Falcon and to use Cecile HDD driver. I was not able to boot into it. I tried MagiC v5 and v.6.2 (8bitchips version and then applied US patches) but I was still getting a black screen.
I then tried HDDriver v7 and although I received that "Offscreen-driver not found" error, no more black screen. Since I know there is a patch for the error, I'm Xing my fingers I'm close to getting the new GUI up and running.
Of course, I'm sure many of you are just using HDDriver but for those on a budget, I had hoped Cecile might be a good option. It worked just fine with TOS though. It appears it just doesn't like MagiC. It's possible when I get the patch that fixes the error, maybe Cecile would allow me to boot into MagiC.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:18 am

Cecile is very old. Since MagiC supports native DOS partitioning and partitions up to 2GB my freeware IDE driver should work with. I need some time to test with Falcon and perform necessary fixes ..
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

JustinPayne
Atari User
Atari User

Postby JustinPayne » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:40 am

Well, let me know if you need help testing. My hard drive does have stuff on it but nothing I couldn't live without if I had to reload it.

busybee
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby busybee » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:35 pm

SofiST wrote:http://atari.8bitchip.info/magic62.html

It is now complete translated to English, including keyboard, executables, core.

Say, will Magic run on a 4meg Mega STE?
Or is that just a silly idea altogether!! :oops: :oops:

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:48 pm

A 4Mb Mega STe is definitely sufficient! If you've never given it a try, do! It's a nice OS and along with a desktop like Jinnee or Thing your Mega STe will feel like a new computer! :D
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

busybee

Postby busybee » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:17 pm

dhedberg wrote:A 4Mb Mega STe is definitely sufficient! If you've never given it a try, do! It's a nice OS and along with a desktop like Jinnee or Thing your Mega STe will feel like a new computer! :D

Great...I'll give it a go once my hard drive arrives.
Definitely looking forward to it!!

JustinPayne
Atari User
Atari User

Postby JustinPayne » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:15 pm

Just an update.
I was able to get around the error by using a different MAGIC.RAM file. It's in German but it works. I'm checking to see what the differences are between that one and the US conversion from 8BitChips.
The good news it's possible to use MagiC v6.2 on a vanilla Falcon.

Props to TheNameOfTheGame for his help with this. He and I went through a lot of head banging with this, and not the good metal kinds.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:53 pm

I already did that comparison and inserted changes in US version. I guess that it is some Falcon patch. Not much bytes.
Hopefully tomorrow will be able to test it on Falcon. IDE/CF card for sure, and maybe SCSI test, but it will need more time to write MagiC on SCSI disk - anyone here interested for MagiC using SCSI on his Falcon ?

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:28 pm

IDE/CF for me :)

JustinPayne
Atari User
Atari User

Postby JustinPayne » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:51 pm

AtariZoll wrote:I already did that comparison and inserted changes in US version. I guess that it is some Falcon patch. Not much bytes.
Hopefully tomorrow will be able to test it on Falcon. IDE/CF card for sure, and maybe SCSI test, but it will need more time to write MagiC on SCSI disk - anyone here interested for MagiC using SCSI on his Falcon ?

Cool!
Where in the code was the issue? I've ran it through a disassembler to see if I could figure it out but obvously you're more familiar with the code than I am but I'd still like to look at it to learn a thing or two.

Oh, and IDE for me as we but SCSI would be a "nice to have".

Social Media

Return to “Applications”