Hooking up Atari to PC, best program ?

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Postby musashi5150 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:21 pm

I already have a nullmodem cable and I'm not too fussed about the speed (it's just for backing up etc) so I'd rather stick to serial.

STING sounds too fancy for my needs - just a vanilla comms program for the ST (like NComm on Amiga) would be fine.
musashi5150
Atari User
Atari User

Postby MiggyMog » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:50 pm

I agree the Crossdos route is best.

Don't do what I did back in the day & make your own ST > Amiga Serial connection and then use AMOS/STOS to make a crappy program to send the files across :-)

I still have the cable somewhere & part of the dodgy STOS prog...

What was that BBS Prog STF gave us Vanterm or summit?
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.
MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Kastle » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:31 pm

Is there a Ghostlink alternative to Linux, or any software I could connect my Ubuntu to ST (or vice versa, to be precise) with cables, that plain computers stores sell.
Kastle
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Lando_C » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:45 pm

What I do is I use a terminal emulator on the ST, and run a getty on the ubuntu serial port as you would if you had a serial terminal on it, (see the text-terminal-howto). Then, when you have managed to log in to a shell from the ST into the PC (use the vt52 emulator from the st-basic disc in worst case, or any good communication program of your choice), use lrzsz to zmodem files across the line, and xyz.prg on the atari end. you probably want STZIP as well, and zip on the unixbox, so you can pack whole directories of stuff into single files.
UK 1040 STF, tos 1.02 red LEDs, double internal floppy
SE 520 STFM tos 1.02
Se 1040 STE

Megafile 20 with 2 MFM drive mechanisms
(80+20 meg) in open case, SM125, SM124, Atari TrakBall,
PC AMD 1.5Mhz, 1.25 G ram, 1500 G disk, ubuntu studio 9.1
Lando_C
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Hooking up Atari to PC, best program ?

Postby 030falcon030 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:05 pm

I like how the pc drive comes up as a hard disk, but is there a way to get a program that does this with a Linux pc? Also would be interested to know can I do the same thing from my Falcon to st (like so I can see the falcon like a hard disk on the st) because my st hard disk is quite small.
Cheers
hmmm:/
I have an ste 4mb... with a 20mb powerdrive slimline and a cumana external fdd.
And a falcon 14mb... which i won... Haha, suckers, had to pay for yours didn't you.
030falcon030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby LeeAnn » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:28 pm

My hubby has an Atari st 4meg and he wants to hook up the Time win98 old computer/pc to it, if at all possible. From reading a few comments here I think it may be a goer :D the trouble is how in plain english with subtitles & diagrams. The Atari lead is a din connection, do I put that into the back of the pc hard drive? as I cant see anywhere else! Does the pc when booted up recognise the Atari connection or do I have to somehow re-programme the pc. I am a real novice here and would appreciate all the help, step by step you could give. I don't understand the terminology you use, but with help I will improve. Hubby would like to set it up as he uses it for music creation with notator, and he has a Mackie hard drive recorder smte to the Atari through a Mackie mixer....or something like that, and the Atari monitor is very dull and it's a struggle to read the screen so that is why he would like to attach the pc. If the pc and Atari could be attached successfully, is there any other benefit to that union, by incorporating the pc hard drive? Oh! and does the pc recognise the Atari icons & stuff, or with windows 98 installed will it get totally confused.
Thank you all in anticipation of your reply
LeeAnn :wink:
LeeAnn
Atarian
Atarian

Postby 030falcon030 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:56 pm

Just follow the instructions in GHOST.txt in the GHOSTLNK folder in the zip file.
Everything should work automatically.
The cable should plug into the top serial port at the back of the pc (the one just below mouse + keyboard)
hmmm:/
I have an ste 4mb... with a 20mb powerdrive slimline and a cumana external fdd.
And a falcon 14mb... which i won... Haha, suckers, had to pay for yours didn't you.
030falcon030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby LeeAnn » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:42 pm

[color=#804000]"Just follow the instructions in GHOST.txt in the GHOSTLNK folder in the zip file.
Everything should work automatically.
The cable should plug into the top serial port at the back of the pc (the one just below mouse + keyboard)"
[/color]

Thank you FALCON for the info and I will take on board and try to implement them & read the rest of the messages here for guidance.....Many thanks for your help on this...will get back to you as to how it goes...may take a bit longer than you guys who know what your doing!
LeeAnn
:coffe:
LeeAnn
Atarian
Atarian

Postby LeeAnn » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:47 pm

:?: Where do I find GHOST.TXT :!: is it a programme that I download and run, I have looked on the internet and found a lot of information stating GHOST something or another, but there are so many I am in a sea of confusion, is there a definitive area for atari/ghost & pc compatibility downloads & help :?:
you must think I am a real twit :oops: and I do appreciate the help
Thanks guys
LeeAnn
LeeAnn
Atarian
Atarian

Postby keili » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:25 pm

Here it is.
Just ask, if you have more questions or problems. We're here to help :) .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TI 99/4A, C64, 800XL, 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 1040ST, 1040 STE, Mega ST1, Mega ST2, Mega STe, Apple IIsi
keili
Atari God
Atari God

Postby bullis1 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:26 pm

LeeAnn wrote::?: Where do I find GHOST.TXT :!: is it a programme that I download and run, I have looked on the internet and found a lot of information stating GHOST something or another, but there are so many I am in a sea of confusion, is there a definitive area for atari/ghost & pc compatibility downloads & help :?:
you must think I am a real twit :oops: and I do appreciate the help
Thanks guys
LeeAnn

You can find it in this very thread, on page 1 in the first post. There will be a little box that says "Attachments" and has a link to download "ghostlnk102b.zip." When you download and unzip that file, you will most likely find GHOST.TXT within.

I do not think you are a twit by the way, just an amateur :wink:
Member of the Atari Legend team
bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby wongck » Tue May 05, 2009 1:50 am

Just a serial connection plus some terminal programs on both side.
On ST, any good terminal proggies with Zmodem.
Wintel comes with hyperterm (Zmodem included).
My Stuff: Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ FB/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby yerzmyey » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:56 am

I was looking throughout these methodes but I'm still not sure about one thing -
do all these way require having HDD on ST?
Actually I use Falcon for MSA transfering but just in case (well, poo happens) I would like to have a good methode of MSA transfering for pretty pure ST 1Mb. Hm.
But maybe that http://www.bergstrom.se/ghostlnk/ is enough after all?
http://ym-digital.i-demo.pl/ ATARI 520ST music-band
http://ay-riders.speccy.cz/ ZX Spectrum music-band
http://yerzmyey.i-demo.pl/ ZX/A500/ST/XL music
http://www.myspace.com/yerzmyey ZX/A500/ST music
http://z80.i-demo.pl/ MP3 archive of Z80 chip music
yerzmyey
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wongck » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:57 pm

Linking via serial does not need HDD. May be a Ramdisk will do. :mrgreen:
My Stuff: Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ FB/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby yerzmyey » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:26 pm

Well, after some researches I decided to buy an interface for emulating FDD. You plug it into the PC via USB.
We will see. ;) If I have any results, I'll write about it. :)
http://ym-digital.i-demo.pl/ ATARI 520ST music-band
http://ay-riders.speccy.cz/ ZX Spectrum music-band
http://yerzmyey.i-demo.pl/ ZX/A500/ST/XL music
http://www.myspace.com/yerzmyey ZX/A500/ST music
http://z80.i-demo.pl/ MP3 archive of Z80 chip music
yerzmyey
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wongck » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:10 am

yerzmyey wrote:Well, after some researches I decided to buy an interface for emulating FDD. You plug it into the PC via USB.
We will see. ;) If I have any results, I'll write about it. :)

Yes, that is a good solution :wink:
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Terminal Emulator better than vt52...

Postby leehanken » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:50 pm

Lando_C wrote:What terminal program should I be looking for, and where? I need a *good* vt100 or better emulation, with 8-bit support (latin1) and preferrably auto-transfer zmodem, or auto-call XYZ.TTP capability. Dialers and such are irrelevant as this is on a nullmodem cable. ON a DOS PC i would use MS-Kermit, but the kermit's iäve found for atari only does the transfer protocol and dont include the otherwise excellent terminal emulator..

The little known terminal emulator TAZ worked admirably for me for this purpose.
leehanken
Atariator
Atariator

Postby AB Positive » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:15 pm

Heya, I've run into a wall in my own Ghostlink setup. I have everything working perfectly, and in fact made a few disks... but I"m using an old windows 98 PC I borrowed off a friend. I'd like to have it work on my XP machine. I tried the program in the first post but every time I hit "Update" my machine reboots and reverts to it's old setup.

I tried without the program and actually did have it read my C: drive, but then both froze. There's a lot of files and folders in my C: though (as in, in the root directory... there's a lot for it to read just to list the directory). Could that be an issue?

I've gotten Amiga Explorer to work on here, and SIO2PC works great via serial as well. Any ST masters have hints as to what I'm doing wrong?
AB Positive
Atarian
Atarian

Postby rocket-dog » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:00 pm

Funny you should post this this week......

Does the PC have a serial port on its motherboard? Or are you using a USB-serial dongle? Sometimes the latter can be temperamental; I am lucky that mine works with XP on a Dell 3100 tower. Some here said it wouldn't work so the evidence suggests it is all depends on your set-up.

If you want to use Ghostlink on WinXP I would suggest you find yourself a copy of Win98SE. And then download VMWare Player. I find the latter is better at finding ports than VirtualBox. Neither though appear to like USB-serial dongles.

This week I have been using this set up to transfer files off a Jornada Pocket PC that I acquired. It was so successful I was going to have a go with Ghostlink next.

The only trouble with Win98SE on VMware is that you can't use shared folders. So I found a driver off the internet to allow me to use a USB memory stick with Win98SE. I can now drag my files to that drive, and once I have stopped the VM I can get at them through Linux (which I use.)

I will check back here to see if you have responded.

If I can do this so can you as I am not the brightest candle on the cake.
rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby AB Positive » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:40 am

Actually - using straight serial. Oddly, I have a 9 month old desktop with a real serial port. :D

haven't gone the VMPlayer route... I don't suppose DOSBox is good enough for this is it? Already have that installed :D
AB Positive
Atarian
Atarian

Postby DrCoolZic » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:14 pm

Whaooo still some interest in this 2003 thread :)

For info I am am still an happy user of of PARCP running on Win98SE :wink:
Never succeeded with HDD and never tried ghostlink (too slow) :(
DrCoolZic
Atari God
Atari God

Postby wongck » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:20 pm

AB Positive wrote:Actually - using straight serial. Oddly, I have a 9 month old desktop with a real serial port. :D

Desktop may still have legacy ports. Notebooks... no more legacy ports.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby rocket-dog » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:10 pm

AB Positive wrote:Actually - using straight serial. Oddly, I have a 9 month old desktop with a real serial port. :D

What make and model? Do tell.............

XP or Vista?

AB Positive wrote:haven't gone the VMPlayer route... I don't suppose DOSBox is good enough for this is it? Already have that installed :D

VMware Player is free and very easy to set up. I use it on all my boxes. It runs surprisingly well. My humble net book (running Mint 8 ) will run a CrunchBang VM at a good pace. While Slitaz and other mini-distros run like an app'.

I never thought of trying DOSbox. I did try running WinCE Services through Wine but it wouldn't go as need a bit more, shall we say, infrastructure underneath it.
rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:14 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:Whaooo still some interest in this 2003 thread :)

For info I am am still an happy user of of PARCP running on Win98SE :wink:
Never succeeded with HDD and never tried ghostlink (too slow) :(

Now I have a box with a proper parallel port I am going to try PARCP. But I think I will go with the Linux version.
rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby DrCoolZic » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:18 pm

rocket-dog wrote:Now I have a box with a proper parallel port I am going to try PARCP. But I think I will go with the Linux version.

This is a nice solution. Did not use lately but if I remember well I think I was transferring over 100 KB/s
and UI is like Norton Commander and is very intuitive. Also handle nicely the Windows long file names.
You just have to build a special cable but if you already have a modem cable you just need to invert two wires at one of the connector... This is well explained at the PARCP site and make sure you use the proper programs to set the parallel ports to input state so you do not harm your Atari or PC ....
DrCoolZic
Atari God
Atari God

PreviousNext

Return to Applications