Hooking up Atari to PC, best program ?

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Zorro 2
Administrator
Administrator

Hooking up Atari to PC, best program ?

Postby Zorro 2 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:11 pm

:arrow: serial port (COM1 or COM2) : use GHOSTLINK with a cable "null modem".

:idea: If you have zindozs xp or 2000, you can use an utility who release your serial or printer/parallel port : http://www.writelog.com/support/lpt_port_support_on_windows_nt.htm (source : Strider)

:arrow: parallel port (LPT) : use PARALLELCOPY with his proper cable PARALLELCOPY (or a cross parallel cable !) or PARCP.

Ghostlink v 1.02 beta and Parcp v 2.5 are join on this Sticky with their docs !

Enjoy or Comments or Upgrade !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Member of NoExtra Team

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:06 am

they have also HDD DMN 3.0 from MC Soft & Hard
(not tested)

HDD_DMN - Our last and best product which connects ATARI a PC thru parallel
port. This is most cheap way how to connect hard disc to ST/STE and this is
only one of the functions included !! Let's see some of them:

* You can use 1.44MB HD floppy on your ATARI
* You can use PC hard disc
* So you can copy files from PC to ATARI respectively thru parallel port and using your favorit copy program or DESKTOP !!
* If you have not battery clocks in your ATARI, this is way how to got it.
* INItialization file uses special script which allows you to make your own batch to run when HDD_DMN start's

http://x.opf.slu.cz/~limo/
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:40 pm

has anybody tried the "HDD DMN 3.0"?

Does it make the PC to act as an ST harddrive? showing up like an ikon on desktop?

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:26 am

Well, if it is so it would be the equivalent of Amiga Forever... I'm going to try it out ASAP -as soon as I find a stoopid cable, that is...

The link is dead, btw :(

Cheers
Gryzor
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

Zee
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Zee » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:38 am

Let us know how if you get it to work.

I'm interrested in this too... (But only if someone else gets it to work first :-))

// Zee
My other computer is an Amiga, Sinclar or Spectravideo

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:06 am

Definitely be interested but where to get the cables from .. I bought a laplink cable which had parallel and serial on it .. but can only connect the serial side to the PC - doesn't seem to have appropriate connectors on the cable for either PC or ST via parallel.

Anyone sell the cables on Ebay etc?
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:56 pm

muguk wrote:Definitely be interested but where to get the cables from .. I bought a laplink cable which had parallel and serial on it .. but can only connect the serial side to the PC - doesn't seem to have appropriate connectors on the cable for either PC or ST via parallel.

Hmm, never heard of such a cable. Are you sure it is both parallel and serial on the same cable ?

Zee
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Zee » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:25 pm

ijor wrote:
muguk wrote:Definitely be interested but where to get the cables from .. I bought a laplink cable which had parallel and serial on it .. but can only connect the serial side to the PC - doesn't seem to have appropriate connectors on the cable for either PC or ST via parallel.

Hmm, never heard of such a cable. Are you sure it is both parallel and serial on the same cable ?

wow, Laplink... Now that's a long time ago... :D
As I recall Laplink came with two types of cables. One serial (probably just a null-modem one) which has both DB9 and DB25 connectors in one or both ends. And a special "parallel" cable that you used to connect the parallel ports of you PC's instead of the comports.

We used this alot in the early nineties to transfer files between computers when installing the OS and making them ready to connect to the LAN.

// Zee

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:51 pm

Yep so did I in the old MS DOS days of backing up users Sage Accounts etc the hard-drive onto 3.5" floppies.

Just bought it assuming it'd work PC<->ST .. this the wrong kind of cable then?
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Zee
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Zee » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:09 pm

It sounds like you have the serial Laplink cable...

If my guess is correct then it's just a nullmodem cable and you should be able to run GhostLink. If it isn't a nullmodem cable, you should be able to pick one up at any decent computer cable store.

But you can't use it for the other two programs, PARCP and HDD DMN.

BTW, if anybody actually builds a HDD DMN cable and get it to work, let me know so I can nag and nag until you build one for me too... :wink:

// Zee

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:24 am

MegaSTE to PC using Ghostlink and the Serial 2 port on Mega STE .. worked a treat until it crashed. Several reboots of both machines and still playing up ..

WIll get it fixed .. got a few hundred disks to image up ;-)

Not going back to floppy disks !!

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:27 am

And just to prove me wrong, it's now working again.

Had to remove both COM ports from Device Manager on the Win98 machine, reboot, let it find them again and it's working sweet as ..

some very nice disks will be forthcoming .. due to their amount, will be uploading them to the Atari Legend FTP sometime soon.

Got to transfer them across to this main XP-based PC first ..

bjjones37
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bjjones37 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:04 pm

Just in case your interested. I was using Ghostlink with a null modem cable. It did work well, but it was slow. Now, for some unknown reason I cannot get Ghostlink to work at all, even though the serial transfer still works with STalker and Zmodem. So I switched over to PARCP 2.50. I had to find a parallel cable with an shell connector instead of a molded one. The modification was simple, I just had to switch and solder two wires on one end. Getting PARCP to work with Windows XP was a little more involved, but a utility called UserPort is available for free download which took care of my compatibility problem. It uses an FTP style interface which is a little cumbersome but works really well. Now instead of downloading over night, I do my transfers in about half an hour. It really is MUCH faster than Ghostlink. You lose the convenience of the GEM interface on the ST. Basically the two computers swap roles. IN Ghostlink, the Windows machine acted as the server. In PARCP, the ST acts as the server. At least this is how I have learned to use it. There is a more convenient interface available if you register and you can get version 3.90. I think 2.50 was the last unregistered release that did not limit the number of files accessible.
Courtesy is not an option.

membot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby membot » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:14 am

now i'm just about ready to enter into the wide world of atari/pc linking

i've downloaded a copy of ghostlink and was wondering if there are any things i should be aware of in using win95.

i need a nice way to back up and store my atari floppies and have an old pc that would make a great hard drive :D

so....any tips from those who have experience using win95 with a STE would be very, very nice.

thanks guys

-j.

membot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby membot » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:42 am

hi.

just checked out each program mentioned above. it seems that ghostlink is the only one i'll be able to try as PARCP looks like it won't run on a ST(?) and HDD DMN has disappeared...

this seems all clear cut and to the point but if someone has any suggestions on using ghostlink with an STE/STacy and a win95 machine, i'd love to hear them!

bst,

-j.

:: and if there are other, possibly better/faster programs out there that will do the same thing, let me know ;]

bripilot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bripilot » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:32 am

Getting an error when trying to download either program... needing Ghostlink as I have a serial null-modem cable... Anyone have the prog they can send me?
Atarian since 1980

STs: 1040STfm, Falcon 030 w/ 14MB, 10GB internal HD and BlowUp graphics adapter
8bits: 800XL w/ 32-in-1 OS and Supervideo 2.1 Upgrade, Happy 1050, APE (Registered), Commodore 1702 Monitor and PC storage unit

Wish list: MegaSTE, 130XE, 65XEGS

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:08 am

SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

steph
Atari User
Atari User

Postby steph » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:23 am

any chance that someone repost hdd dmn ? The original site is dead and it seems to be a cool way to connect a ST to a PC.
Steph

steph
Atari User
Atari User

Postby steph » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:05 am

after a long google exploration, I've found an hdd_dmn archive. It contains the explanation on how to build the cable interface but it looks like chinese to me :cry: .

here is the link :

http://www.funet.fi/pub/atari/net/hdd_dmn.lzh
Steph

bripilot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bripilot » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:59 pm

Thanks Pro! =)

Now I just need about a day to play and I'll be good... damn dentist appointment tomorrow... =(

Anyway... just got my 2 new Wico Bat handle joysticks (best ever made in my opinion), and can't wait to spend a day playing Llamatron and just havin fun... =)
Atarian since 1980

STs: 1040STfm, Falcon 030 w/ 14MB, 10GB internal HD and BlowUp graphics adapter
8bits: 800XL w/ 32-in-1 OS and Supervideo 2.1 Upgrade, Happy 1050, APE (Registered), Commodore 1702 Monitor and PC storage unit

Wish list: MegaSTE, 130XE, 65XEGS

030falcon030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 030falcon030 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:54 pm

probably a dumb question but does the parcp work on the falcon and would
This cable be suitable

thanks

earx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby earx » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:24 am

yes, it works on the falcon i've been told. that cable probably isn't suitable, though. you need a special cable. the wiring is explained on this page:

http://joy.sophics.cz/parcp/parcpdoc.ht ... dHardware1

you can also use this cable with the nice st trans program from atari.

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:08 pm

Hello,
Will ghostlink work with windows xp and how?
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:47 pm

No it won't .. wish it would :(

It needs someone on the PC to code (if I remember correctly) a true Win32 console version of the xfer program ..

That's why I have a separate (and old!) PC running Windows 98 for this purpose.

fox78
Atarian
Atarian

Postby fox78 » Tue May 10, 2005 3:37 pm

Hi! work the ghostlnk program both ways? Pc-atari or only atari-pc?
And i just wonder witch ports i put the nullmodem cabel?Behind the atari dosen´t read serial...I have atari520ste...This is my first atari and i don´t know very mutch this computer...:(
I hope someone clever can help me:)

Social Media

Return to “Applications”