Time/date setting AUTO program?

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Time/date setting AUTO program?

Postby Fujiyama » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:03 pm

I'm looking for an AUTO-folder program which, when installed on the boot drive of an ST without a battery-backed clock asks for the current time and date. I assume setting the clock again for each reboot is unnecessary, isn't it, so the program should know about this too.

Anything like that about? And if yes, where can I find it?

Strange thing that clock-cards as hardware add-ons for STs haven't been much in demand....
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

ppera

Re: Time/date setting AUTO program?

Postby ppera » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:29 pm

I made something like it before 18 years. But it is not Y2K compatible (only to 1999).
Certainly there is such SW. You should look some archives, for instance:

ftp://ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de/pub/atari/

nobogod
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nobogod » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:37 pm

Maybe this one?
everda10.lzh Everdate v1.0, keeps the last system date/time

ftp://ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de/pub/atari/Utils/Clock/

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:40 pm

That doesn't seem to be quite what I'm looking for as it's both an ACC and a PRG which needs to be used at once.

However, I found Timeset 2.02 which seemed perfect for the job. However it turns out that it's not Y2K compatible, making it useless.

Anything similar which does work for 2008 and beyond?
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:38 pm

... alternatively, is there someone reading this who knows how to program and would be willing to make such a time-setter? I have some ideas for improvement over the one I found, but unfortunately don't know the first thing about programming.

PS: I've already tried getting in touch with the person behind the mentioned time-setter, but not surprisingly the

Are you a good person?

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:43 pm

I'm sure Techie Allison hacked something to do with date/time setting but then again it might have only been the software that works with the Forget-Me-Clock II cart. It's around here somewhere .. :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Lando_C
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Lando_C » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:39 pm

i use BICLOCK.TOS, it saves the last used date on the disk somewhere, and works nicely even now in 2008. It doesnt check for warmboots though, so you'd have to push enter to accept the time at each boot.
UK 1040 STF, SE kbd, SE tos 1.04, gotekHxC+floppy B internally, ATX psu on the side
DE Mega 1
SE Mega 2, no keyboard
SE Mega ST 4
Megafile 20 with 2 MFM drive mechanisms (80+20 meg) in hacked case, ATX psu on the side
Megafile 30
Megafile 60
SH 204
SM124, SM125, Samsung SyncMaster 930mp 19 inch 4:3 lcd tv rgbscart and VGA for STHIgh
PC Intel i5 8G ram many disks
5xRaspberry pi

ppera

Postby ppera » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:55 pm

Hmm...
If I remember correct, IKBD chip counts time when machine is on.
What we need is to check it's content by program (in AUTO folder). If it is 1980, then machine was off - in that case user must enter current date, time. If there is something other, we may consider that it is current time, and we made warm reset. Program may outprint date, time for couple seconds and user can correct it after pressing some key, otherwise it will copy IKBD time to GemDOS 'clock' and exit. Of course after first run, and entering time it needs to copy it to IKBD.

Lando_C
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Lando_C » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:15 pm

BICLOCK does that, when warmbooted it shows the right time, but you have to press enter to accept it if it is correct.

(or wait a few seconds)
UK 1040 STF, SE kbd, SE tos 1.04, gotekHxC+floppy B internally, ATX psu on the side
DE Mega 1
SE Mega 2, no keyboard
SE Mega ST 4
Megafile 20 with 2 MFM drive mechanisms (80+20 meg) in hacked case, ATX psu on the side
Megafile 30
Megafile 60
SH 204
SM124, SM125, Samsung SyncMaster 930mp 19 inch 4:3 lcd tv rgbscart and VGA for STHIgh
PC Intel i5 8G ram many disks
5xRaspberry pi

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:39 pm

I tried biclock.prg (found it here), but didn't like it.
Way too complicated.
I think using entering the time and date with the number keys is a lot quicker and easier. Being something a lot of people have to do very often it either has to be as easy as possible, or they'll skip it.

Perhaps something like this when the computer boots:

Enter today's date: DD-MM-YY

With the cursor flashing at the first "D" or inverting it.
And the user enters 280108 (from the number keys or numeric keypad) and presses return.
Then this pops up:

Enter current time: HH-MM-SS

Again, with the cursor flashing at the first "D" or inverting it.
the user enters 180500 (from the number keys or numeric keypad) and presses return.
From then on the clock starts running (and is displayed with the seconds changing) displaying the following:

Date : 28-01-2008
Time: 18:05:02

RETURN if OK
TAB to change

I suppose two versions should be made: one with the UK way of displaying the date (day-month-year) and one with the USA way of doing it (month-day-year).

PS: I don't know how most people would like this, but using the "LCD" type numbers available in the Atari ST font would be cool for entering/displaying the time.

Are you a good person?

rian_ata
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rian_ata » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:02 pm

I know Superboot has this option of manually inputting date and time at startup by using the numeric keypad of the keyboard.

Nyh
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Nyh » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:10 pm

rian_ata wrote:I know Superboot has this option of manually inputting date and time at startup by using the numeric keypad of the keyboard.

AFAIK Superboot is not Y2k compliant.

Hans Wessels

Social Media

Return to “Applications”