Mac OSX-Atari floppy problems

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

arf
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: Mac OSX-Atari floppy problems

Postby arf » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:20 pm

Greenious wrote:DD disks on Mac are notoriously difficult from what I remember. It uses varial rotation speeds to fit 800kb onto a disk and I am not really sure if Mac can read DD disks from other platforms at all. On top of that I think apple even dropped som floppy support in 10.4...

Sorry, your memory is a bit foggy :-) DDs disks that are “difficult” are GCR encoded Macintosh disks from 1984 on. These are not relevant for OS X / macOS <-> Atari ST transfer.

macOS 10.12 can read and write FAT12 disks in USB floppy drives - if it is a proper USB floppy drive. Not all support DD, although they claim to do so. I had good experiences with IBM Thinkpad external USB floppy drives, including DD disks.

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:14 am

I'm more into "Plug and play" these days and not all the struggle to get things to work, so if there are other solutions I'll go for that :D
As I'm having several problems with my Mega STe and my STe isn't fully set up yet it's hard to say where the fault is, but I'm worried the (modified) Sony MPF-920-1 is misaligned or has other problems (I read on Exxos' site that he had been having bad experiences with certain batches of these drives). I should probably try the Mega STe floppy (also a Sony MPF-920-1) in the STe. I'd be pretty unlucky if both drives had some sort of issue :?
The STe doesn't (yet) have a HD/DD floppy controller board installed though, so with that computer I'd only be using DD floppies. The Mega STe has a GAL replaced, an AJAX and some other changes as far as I remember.

While on the subject of Macs, Ataris and floppies, it might be worth mentioning BlueHarvest which is a Mac app that takes care of "cleaning" those invisible files/folders (which aren't invisible on an Atari or PC but cause a lot of problems) automatically. It's not free (US$ 15) but does everything automatically unlike those other free "eject" apps where you have to remember to drag the floppy disk icon to that icon in the dock (and not the usual Mac trash/eject icon) in order to "clean" those files way. It might be worth paying for if you do a lot of file transfer with floppies or memory cards/USB memory sticks between the two platforms, but if not I suppose the free ones (CleanEject, HiM (Hidden cleaner iMproved), Hidden Cleaner or Eject for Windows (confusing name, but no -it's not a Windows app), will do (just remember a slightly different workflow each time you eject them on the Mac).
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:38 am

arf wrote:macOS 10.12 can read and write FAT12 disks in USB floppy drives - if it is a proper USB floppy drive. Not all support DD, although they claim to do so. I had good experiences with IBM Thinkpad external USB floppy drives, including DD disks.

So the ability to support DD floppies has to do with the actual USB floppy drive hardware?
I was always under the assumption that as long as it was a HD floppy drive it could always use floppies with lower capacities.
When formatting DD floppies on the Mac, have you been using "Disk Utility" and the default "erase" option, or did you have to change settings or do some workarounds?

With the Mac I'm using an Imation FlashGo! Card & Floppy FA-401 (also goes by the name of Mitsumi FA-401), but I can't find any info on whether it supports DD disks or not.

Update: I spoke too fast! I don't read Japanese, but upon further inspection of this page it does indeed appear to support DD floppies (red circle added by myself):
flashgo_dd.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:58 am

Even if you solve access to DD floppies on USB drive, it will be restricted to 720KB format only. Will be not able to write 800KB images, for instance,
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:07 am

No problem for my use, but useful to know nevertheless.

arf
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby arf » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:10 pm

Fujiyama wrote:
arf wrote:macOS 10.12 can read and write FAT12 disks in USB floppy drives - if it is a proper USB floppy drive. Not all support DD, although they claim to do so. I had good experiences with IBM Thinkpad external USB floppy drives, including DD disks.

So the ability to support DD floppies has to do with the actual USB floppy drive hardware?
I was always under the assumption that as long as it was a HD floppy drive it could always use floppies with lower capacities.

In the old days: yes. All HD drives could properly write original DD disks. But I’ve seen too many (cheap and not-so-cheap) USB drives that claimed to be compatible with DD but weren’t. As mentioned above, there are some that work flawlessly.

Fujiyama wrote:When formatting DD floppies on the Mac, have you been using "Disk Utility" and the default "erase" option, or did you have to change settings or do some workarounds?

I formatted the disks under Linux or TOS, never under macOS. I only have written data on it on the Mac.

Fujiyama wrote:Update: I spoke too fast! I don't read Japanese, but upon further inspection of this page it does indeed appear to support DD floppies (red circle added by myself):
flashgo_dd.png

Claiming to do so is only half of the truth :-)

Social Media

Return to “Applications”