How long will they last?

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

bjjones37
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

How long will they last?

Postby bjjones37 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:50 pm

At this point in time, most of my classic computer equipment is between 30 and 40 years old. I am very please with how it has all stood the test of time and usage (with proper surge suppressors of course). I do not have any modern wintel computers that even come close. Most laptops seem to fail after 3 or 4 years. I managed to make my windows tower last by replacing everything in the case piecemeal over the past 15 years. It is now officially a WIndows XP dinosaur. But enough reminiscing.

How long is an FPGA system likely to last? With the constant reprogramming and regular usage, how long before those gates and latches tightly integrated into that massive chip begin to break down? It occurs to me that FPGAs were originally developed to model and design circuits and systems for production, so they really do not need to last all that long. So what kind of reasonable lifespan can I anticipate from a MiST or MisTer, or Zemmix? Will I still be using my MiST unit 30 years from now like I am my Atari 800XL or Atari 520ST?
Courtesy is not an option.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: How long will they last?

Postby NegSol » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:27 pm

That is not how FPGA work internally.

May I recommend to check out FPGA explanation videos like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUsHwi4M4xE

--

In a nutshell (how I understand it) - It is mostly lookup tables that are configured from rom (sd-card in MiSTer terms). So no shortened life to be expected from normal MiSTer use - it is not like with flash cards or anything. :mrgreen:

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:18 am

bjjones37 wrote:How long is an FPGA system likely to last? With the constant reprogramming and regular usage, how long before those gates and latches tightly integrated into that massive chip begin to break down? It occurs to me that FPGAs were originally developed to model and design circuits and systems for production, so they really do not need to last all that long. So what kind of reasonable lifespan can I anticipate from a MiST or MisTer, or Zemmix? Will I still be using my MiST unit 30 years from now like I am my Atari 800XL or Atari 520ST?

The low cost FPGA devices that we typically use don't have any kind of internal component that would make them last less than any other digital chip, like, say, a CPU. Programming is internally stored on static RAM. You can reprogram the FPGA constantly and I doubt it would affect the lifespan significantly.

Some more expensive FPGA devices have internal flash or fuses that are used for instance, for storing encryption keys. Some FPGAs (not the ones on the MiST or MiSTer) have non volatile internal configuration storage as it is more common on CPLDs. In these cases there is obviously an issue of endurance and retention.

I don't know if you would be able to use your MiST in 30 years. But in any case, I would expect analog component, and even connectors, would fail before the FPGA itself.
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core

bjjones37
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bjjones37 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:53 pm

This is quite reassuring. I was hoping for my MiST and MiSTer to last a good long time. I could not find any documentation on the mtbf on FPGAs. There is a reliability report at Intel for the Altera Cyclone V SE FPGA (which I just found) which lists the FIT as 13.5.
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/p ... /rr/rr.pdf
If I am looking at the right figures and calculating this right, then apparently it has an MTBF of 74074074. I believe the units are in hours. Could someone confirm this for me?
Courtesy is not an option.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:16 am

If you are worried about longevity... just buy a spare and keep it safely boxed (after setting it up and testing it works fine).

Return to “FPGA Chat”